Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Ben Grimm, Kung Fu Fighter? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2008 at 9:41pm | IP Logged | 1  

Which I guess begs the next fantasy question...

Simon Williams with JKD ability against the Hulk likens to, say, Chuck Norris in his apex against, er, George Foreman in 1973, one of the most powerful, vicious punchers anybody has seen.

Norris vs Foreman? That's a rumble!

Back to Top profile | search

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2008 at 9:46pm | IP Logged | 2  

Okay, it's probably not absolutely linked to what we're talking about, but I love boxers. I was looking for something else and ran across this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=6iDlzL7zr NU

I have no idea what's going on here, but that's a man in the middle of that melee.

Chris Durnell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2008 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 3  

Victor, that's awesome!  The Thing having a cheesey signature wrestling "move" would be hilarious.  Personally, I would name it "the Avalanche!"

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2008 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 4  

QUOTE:
Well, Ben could probably beat the Hulk at poker.

And pool.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2008 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 5  

The pitfall with martial arts and some superheroes is that it makes it plausible that they are a lot more powerful than their native strength. So instead of meeting the Hulk head-on Thing wins by flipping or tripping him. Then someone teaches the Hulk a few moves as well. And we go down the road of power inflation again. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 04 July 2008 at 4:30pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2008 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 6  

I don't think this necessarily opens the door to Dragon Ball Z'ing the MU or whatever. The Hulk is the Hulk. He's a savage, but he's also only as trained as Doc Banner was trained, which was zero. The Hulk has animal instincts, so even if you take away the ridiculous strength increase when raging, you have a creature which fights to its natural strengths, like a tiger, or rhino, or shark.

Thor and Hercules have been fighting in their fashion for thousands of years. Spider-Man has Spider kung fu. Cap has his commando training clicked up to the Nth degree by his physical perfection. Wolverine has a combo of berserker and samurai affectation. Nova has Kree kung fu. There's plenty of characters who have "styles".

And you'll note, more than not, they are the most memorable for having styles. Which is important when creating a character who fights, IMO.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2008 at 8:53pm | IP Logged | 7  

I just hope no Marvel writers with even a remote chance of ever writing the
FF read this thread...
Back to Top profile | search | www

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2008 at 9:14pm | IP Logged | 8  

You know, this might've been the thinking behind turning Kitty into an over-
night ninja back in the Wolverine and Kitty Pryde mini.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2008 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 9  

So, until Ant-man takes up Krav Maga, make mine Marvel!

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2008 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 10  

I'm still not sure of the bias against superhuman characters becoming better fighters. Ben Grimm is an extreme, but who has a problem with Wonder Man becoming proficient at a martial style? And why WOULDN'T he?

If it's a convention of superhero comics that all strong guys are sluggers without much technique, that's fine.

But I don't see a direct correlation between the two that removes the possibility of fighting techniques that would "seperate" these characters. In my view, there's WAAAAY too many super-strong/invulnerable characters. It's utterly boring from the standpoint of finding characters to enjoy who also have a vulnerability that mades them human.

Ben Grimm has ALWAYS had that vulnerability, by his nature.

But Wonder Man is as generic as Wonder Bread, next to all the other strong guys. Why not do something to actually distinguish him from the others?

See, I'm not in the camp of "normals" always becoming martial artists, like the Question. I can see why Denny O'Neil did it, but I don't agree with it. The Question was one of the few normal guys who had a brutal, street-fighter style he could rely on, instead of Asian Fire. Damn near all normal strength fighters are martial artists in both universes. Hawkman gets a little strength boost from Nth metal, but he's distinguished not only by costume, but by his various "archaic" fighting techniques. That's cool, and you could spot Hawkman in a crowd even without the costume, using that mace or cestus or any ancient weapon.

I want to see diversity from a couple of these characters like Wonder Man who just kind of sits there, doing the exact same thing within the limited imaginations of today's writers. Costume design isn't enough.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2008 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 11  

I think one thing to do would be to write it into the character without expressly stating it or being otherwise too obvious about it.  Show, don't tell, in other words.  This approach would work for the Thing as well as Wonder Man.

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2008 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 12  

At Wonder Man's power leval fighting skill is not going to matter either way. A few Judo classes at the Y is not going to help against Count Nefaria.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version