Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: JBF Reading Club: The Incredible Hulk #319 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2008 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 1  

I get the impression that the Jim Shooter-ism problems must have culminated around the Hulk returning to the Kirby Hulk stage, since it's not even implied in the stories that was coming. JB was promised a free hand, but apparently someone on high got cold feet? Considering the tanking sales and JB's status at the time, I find it hard to believe he was given an editorial mandate to maintain the status quo Hulk.

Back to Top profile | search

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2008 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 2  

Thank you Kev!

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2008 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 3  

I live to serve.

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2008 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 4  

Was very sorry to see the run on the Hulk by JB end so soon and suddenly. Very disappointed that all the storylines weren't able to see light.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Chris Durnell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2008 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 5  

Does anyone know the trend of the initial sales to both The Incredible Hulk and Alpha Flight once the creator switch was made?  What was the immediate impact on them?

Reading that link about the change, I was a little surprised to read that JB's AF sales were declining (at least I'd be surprised by anything more than a normal decline from the initial #1 sales when a whole bunch of people pick up the title to see what it was like until it plateaus at the "normal" level) and that it was thought Mantlo could revive it.  Considering how reviled the run is now, I imagine that after only a few issues of icnreased sales (assuming every old reader stayed for a while and Mantlo bringing over his old readers) it must have nosedived.

Furthermore, I can't imagine JB's Hulk not exploding upward in sales so that by issue # 319 this was selling way above it used to.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2008 at 10:28pm | IP Logged | 6  

I could go off on these crazy What If? scenarios all day.

Not crazy at all, Chad.  I find your theories and everyone else who invested in JB's Hulk run very interesting.  The possibilities are very interesting and I appreciate the passion in your words and everyone else.  It makes me hope for him to revisit this theme of character driven story developments.  Something lacking in a lot of books.  As for Stan and Kirby's Hulk, I thought that Hulk had very sinister thoughts--I know he never embellished on them because he had distractions but I also feared what if the Hulk actually went through to what he thought? 

Adam Carson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2008 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 7  

Yeah, I'm with you on that Nathan about seeing 320...coming so soon after the dissapointment of John not being on ALPHA FLIGHT anymore and then to lose him on the HULK so quickly was a bitter pill. I'm in the minority here but as not up to snuff what came immediatly after JB it was way better than the horrible stuff that came with PAD. The HULK an Las Vegas enforcer? I still get shudders at the incompetency of those stories.

Edited by Adam Carson on 23 June 2008 at 10:38am

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2008 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 8  

Yeah, I'm with you on that Nathan about seeing 320...coming so soon after the dissapointment of John not being on ALPHA FLIGHT anymore and then to lose him on the HULK so quickly was a bitter pill. I'm in the minority here but as not up to snuff what came immediatly after JB it was way better than the horrible stuff that came with PAD. The HULK an Las Vegas enforcer?

SER: In fairness, I think the PAD Gray Hulk run was still recognizably the Hulk. He was very much the Kirby Hulk aside from not being green. The Banner/Hulk relationship was still there and the Hulk was still savage but was canny enough to be aware of the relationship and to not be essentially Goofy but more Donald Duck.

I would have removed the Day/Night transformations -- there was an issue in which Banner "lets out" the Gray Hulk during the day to fight the Super Skrull. A Hulk smart enough to find ways to "cure" Banner makes for interesting reading.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2008 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 9  

Looking at that back-up strip in Hulk #1 reminded me that no-one does those re-telling of old story-collages like JB. I read X-Men #138 years before ever seeing all the early X-Men tales and was saddened and disappointed that the actual original stories didn't look as cool and exciting as the recaps in that issue.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2008 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 10  

As for Stan and Kirby's Hulk, I thought that Hulk had very sinister thoughts--I know he never embellished on them because he had distractions but I also feared what if the Hulk actually went through to what he thought? 

That's my favorite Hulk. He really, really, really hates Mankind. His first words were, "Get out of my way, insect." To Rick Jones. Someone should have taken off on that whole conceit...if the Hulk is Banner's rage, but Banner's rage has its own persona, why does the Hulk hate and distrust Mankind even before being hunted by it? Again, is it an instintual understanding? Or is the Hulk more than he seems? I mean, you could go anywhere with that. The Hulk could be from another dimension, born from a rift caused by the Gamma Bomb. I mean, if you really wanted to screw with readers...defeat their expectations. Banner isn't mutated, he's a conduit, say. Maybe he trades places with the Hulk, like the old Cap Marvel/Rick Jones thing. And if that's the case, where does Bruce go? What would happen if Bruce remembered where he goes when the Hulk takes over...stuff like that.

Adam Carson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2008 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 11  

Chad-that sort of transposition t would be a  near direct lift from what JB did with his Sasquatch character.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2008 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 12  

Somewhat, though Langkowski was sort of the conduit for a Dark God, Great Beast rather.

In the case of Banner, and we're speaking from my little throw-off idea, we might have assumed all these years that, even when in control of the Hulk with his mind, Banner was NOT Banner, but only a part of the Hulk's consciousness. Meanwhile, the real Banner traveled back and forth from wherever the Hulk actually came from, "recalled" back to Earth when the Hulk went back to wherever. There's nothing to say that the Banner-controlled Hulk was ACTUALLY the Bruce Banner who had no control over the Hulk.

I mean, variations of this kind still represent an illusion...you make readers THINK that's what you're saying instead of actually 100% confirming it, as Peter David pretty much did with the MPD issue. Now MPD's considered rote for the character, which is wrong. This is just a story, and the story could be true within the fictional universe, or merely another supposition.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version