Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: JBF Reading Club: The Incredible Hulk #319 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2008 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 1  

I’ll start with a hearty “Thank You!” to Jim Warden for the scans seen here.  Jim contacted me last week to let me know he is the proud owner (and major Hulk fan, if I remember correctly) of the complete original artwork and cover art for this issue, and that scans of all the pages were to be found in his CAF gallery if I wanted to use them here.  Of course, that’s an offer I’d never turn down.  So, thanks for looking out for me again, Jim!

As I’ve said before, do yourself a huge favor and check out all the incredible art in Jim’s collection, including all the pages I couldn’t post here.

The rest of Hulk 319

Jim’s Main Gallery Page at Comic Art Fans

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2008 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 2  

For those reading along, yes, next week I'll be posting Marvel Fanfare 29.

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2008 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 3  

Wow...i believe that this is the second wedding in the Marvel Universe!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tom French
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2008 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 4  

Gorgeous!  Better in B&W -- as I'm quickly learning ALL JB's stuff is...
Back to Top profile | search

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2008 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 5  

Holy!!!!!!!!!! This looks even hotter in black and white. *traces everything* One of my favorite things about that run is how the inking was slightly over rendered in that run. It's so lush. :>

Edited by Martin Redmond on 20 June 2008 at 9:35am

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2008 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 6  

Amazing issue.

I mentioned the first three panels of the above page in another thread. Here's a recap for those who missed it...

In Amazing Heroes # 76, there's a fantastic interview with JB regarding his plans for the Hulk. He would have taken the character back to where he was early on--a green-skinned, Kirby-ish version.

Banner would have found a simple way to cause the transformation, and would have had control over the Hulk (or so he thought), but the Hulk would also occasionally come out on his own, with his brutish personality warping Banner's. Banner would have become somewhat addicted to the power of the Hulk, almost like an alcoholic. The underground vault would have come back into play, too.

Well, in panels 1-3 of the page shown above, Banner muses about how he thinks there might have been a way for him to control the Hulk from the very start. Since JB's run ended after this story, it seems like just that--musing.

But, given the Rosetta Stone provided in the form of JB's Amazing Heroes interview, I'm convinced that this dialogue was the initial setup for a story where Banner cannot resist the temptation--and willingly turns himself into a new Hulk that he thinks he has under control.

This explains the mysterious hint from JB in AH # 76 about the first appearance of the new Hulk coming before the last appearance of the old Hulk. I think that there would have been two Hulks--one being the Buscema-esque version that was separated from Banner, and the other being the new, Kirby-ish, Banner-controlled Hulk.

It would also explain the hint that a "very, very, very important death" was forthcoming in future issues. I believe that JB planned on killing off the mindless, Buscema-esque Hulk. Perhaps there would have been a battle royale between the new, Banner-controlled Hulk and the mindless Hulk.

While JB is understandably reluctant to talk about aborted storylines, it's a theory I've had brewing for a few years now, and thought people might find it interesting.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 20 June 2008 at 10:57am

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2008 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 7  

I suspected the same thing, Greg--though I thought that it would be the
GRAY Hulk that Banner would become. Which would make his triumph over
the larger, vastly more powerful green Hulk that much more impressive.

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2008 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 8  

That storyline would have been SO cool.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2008 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 9  

Yeah, that would have been neat, but JB made it clear in the AH interview that he fully intended to keep the Hulk green. He would have looked as he did around the time of Incredible Hulk # 4-5 and Avengers # 1.

Can't say for sure if a Hulk-vs.-Hulk battle is what JB had in mind, but it would have been really cool to see the Banner-controlled "new" Hulk outwitting the mindless Buscema-type Hulk.

Interestingly enough, during the Milgrom run that followed JB's, we saw Banner's gray Hulk battle Jones' green Hulk. Hmm.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 20 June 2008 at 11:02am

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2008 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 10  

Oh, and as for this issue, it's really great. The moment where Betty finally faces down General Ross was long in coming.

And, although JB has said that he wouldn't have married Bruce and Betty, had he known then what he knows now, it's still a very triumphant moment. Those two really do belong together.

And I love the misdirection on the cover (and throughout the story). It all leads one to think that the Hulk will crash the wedding, but that doesn't happen.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 20 June 2008 at 11:01am

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2008 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 11  

Ugh, the Rick Jones Hulk. A bad idea whose time had come, I guess. (And right after Rick had just beaten gamma radiation-induced cancer, too.)

I think PAD very briefly picked up on the idea of Banner thinking he can control the Hulk. In Incredible Hulk #331 (I think that's the issue) Banner exposes himself to gamma radiation, thinking he'll be in control of the (grey) Hulk, but once he transforms it's very clear that he isn't.

Jason Fliegel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2008 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 12  

Wow...i believe that this is the second wedding in the Marvel Universe!

No -- besides Reed and Sue, we also had the Quicksilver/Crystal wedding and the Vision/Scarlet Witch and Swordsman/Mantis double wedding before this. 

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version