Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: X-Factor and Bob Layton (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2008 at 6:45am | IP Logged | 1  

Longhost was a good acrobatic replacement for Nightcrawler. They should have Gambit, Longshot and Nightcrawler all in one team. :>

I liked Dazzler because she was so awkward and tragic. ;} She gave the team different levels of skills. I don't think the girls all had the same personality. Rogue was more of a tom boy, while Pyslocke was real eager to get into action even though she wasn't always the best one for it.

Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2008 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 2  

" Just like he's done with every single project of his since."

Just like his former Image compatriots, he knows how to do very well for himself but can do little that's any good.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2008 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 3  

I think Jim Lee is the worst. All that talent and he sits on his ass editing crappy comics. Aside from his run on Batman, which was pretty hot and complete.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2008 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 4  

I am a big fan of Chris Claremont's X-Men but felt that after Marc Silvestri left and beofre Jim Lee came on board the book was in a bit of a rut.

Lee seemed to re-energise Claremont and I hoped for a godd long run between the two.

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2008 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 5  

Claremont's Dazzler was tragic? Boy, it really has been a long time since I read many of those issues.

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2008 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 6  

From what I've read it seems like he was trying his best to make her interesting. But what little personality she had was negative. She was vain, egotistical and selfish. When she was changed by Inferno she honestly did not seem much different.

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2008 at 3:42am | IP Logged | 7  

The thread drift from X-Factor to the simultaneous X-Men run by Claremont is somewhat interesting. I'm just wondering if I should add something about that in the thread title so interested parties might more easily find the thread.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2008 at 3:52am | IP Logged | 8  

X-Factor was the first X-Men spin-off not written by Claremont. The first issues were so ho-hum it presented no challenge to UXM. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2008 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 9  

I agree that the first issues of X-Factor were pretty ho-hum, and that the series didn't represent a challenge to the Juggernaut X-Men had become, but once the Simonsons got rolling I enjoyed it a lot more.  I think it picked up as series around the Mutant Massacre, hit its high note around Fall of the Mutants and remained consistently great through the end of Inferno.  Just my two cents.

Todd Douglas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2008 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 10  

QUOTE:
The thread drift from X-Factor to the simultaneous X-Men run by Claremont is somewhat interesting.

Even moreso today, what with several posts focusing on Dazzler and today's Comic Book Urban Legends Revealed over at CBR confirming that Layton originally planned to use Dazzler as the female fifth member of X-Factor.

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2008 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 11  

I think it picked up as series around the Mutant Massacre, hit its high note around Fall of the Mutants and remained consistently great through the end of Inferno.  Just my two cents.

I agree completely Adam. I almost made the same post verbatim.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2008 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 12  

QUOTE:
Even moreso today, what with several posts focusing on Dazzler and today's Comic Book Urban Legends Revealed over at CBR confirming that Layton originally planned to use Dazzler as the female fifth member of X-Factor.

That wouldn't have been good.  I like the revalation of the Dazzler Animated Special starring; Robin Willaims, KISS, the Village People, Lenny & Squiggy, Cher, Rodney Dangerfield and Donna Summer.  I'd watch that!

Edited by Adam Hutchinson on 27 June 2008 at 8:28am

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version