Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: X-Factor and Bob Layton (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2008 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 1  

CC needed to learn not EVERYTHING should be shoehorned into Professor Xavier's School for Gifted Children.

Now THERE's a point!

Back to Top profile | search

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2008 at 11:46pm | IP Logged | 2  

QUOTE:

I heard about the Wolverine in the Hand story. Which honestly I find cool. Killing the Professor not so cool.

If it was just Wolverine being resurrected by the hand, I'd have to see how it played out.  Logan hooking with Jean?  I didn't need to know the specifics to know that I wouldn't have liked that. 

QUOTE:

I like how they are delaying Madelyne vs Jean til the end. Im saving my biggest cat fight hiss for it. Yes I know thats immature.

If you ask me, not much of a catfight on Jean's end.
The anger is on Maddie's end, especially after she finds out who and what she really was.  Jean is actually trying to help her, but she's too far gone.

For anyone interested, Dazzler lasted until the early 250s where she wound up going through the Siege Perilous with several other X Men.  8-10 issues later, she shows up again and we see what happened to her after she went through.  That's 2 issues and I don't think she was in X Men again until the new series.
That was a Mojoworld story with her and Longshot.

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2008 at 2:49am | IP Logged | 3  

I just finished it and it was great. It ended at a great point. So I want have to ait impatiently for volume #9 to come out. Just so much stuff I loved in this volume. rom the art with both Silversti and Walt Simonson to the writing and overall story.

I think a big thing for me is that there was character development at the forefront. But when it came time for the big fight it delievered big time. Honestly im not sure where they can go from here. But I thought Inferno was going to be a let down after Fall of the Mutants, and that Fall of the Mutants would not match Mutant Massacre. So I'll just wait and see.

QUOTE:
If you ask me, not much of a catfight on Jean's end.
The anger is on Maddie's end, especially after she finds out who and what she really was.  Jean is actually trying to help her, but she's too far gone.

Thats true Larry. I liked how none of Scotts bad things wee glossed over, and that it wasnt everybody acting like Maddie wasnt real. Instead they tried to save her. That said I can never pass up a chance to make cat fight sounds.

As for Longshot. Personally I like him on the X-Men. His bright sunny outlook is a nice contrast. I also like Mojo as an X villian. He i different and a nice change of pace from evil mutants or mutant hating humans.  

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2008 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 4  

Victor wrote:
"I just finished it and it was great. It ended at a great point. So I want have to ait impatiently for volume #9 to come out. Just so much stuff I loved in this volume. rom the art with both Silversti and Walt Simonson to the writing and overall story."

I also hope for a ninth X-Men volume (along with a whole bunch of Hulk Essentials with the Buscema stuff, that's probably topping my list), mostly because I think it would include Uncanny X-Men # 251 (?), the one with Wolverine vs. the Reavers, and Wolverine's healing factor not working (or at least not as well as it should). Always loved that issue and (I believe at least) Silvestri's art in it.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2008 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 5  

Looking on Amazon I see a preorder for Classic X-Men #3. It will do the remaining issues plus the Beast run in Amazing Adventures.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2008 at 9:46pm | IP Logged | 6  

Excellent news.  I really want those AA stories.

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2008 at 5:14am | IP Logged | 7  

A bit torn on Classic X-Men vol 3. Waited for it a long time, then succumb and got the remaining "missing" issues in Masterworks format instead.

How good / important / much material do those AA stories involve?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2008 at 5:26am | IP Logged | 8  

I got the urge from looking at the covers on the mile high website.  They really pulled me in - I was thrilled to see The Beast fights The Griffin, one of my all-time favorite villains, and The Juggernaut, another favorite (although I'm curious to see how The Beast fares solo where the entire team had so much trouble).

The first two issues were abridged/reprinted in The Avengers 136, before Beast became a member.  I think.

Edited by Kevin Hagerman on 25 June 2008 at 5:26am

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2008 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 9  

Longshot seemed to be a guy from A-HA who, somehow, got stranded in the X-Men comic. 

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2008 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 10  

80s hair in X-Men ruled. It's what most civillians I talk to who read it back then remember most fondly.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2008 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 11  

The Inferno Crossover hit me at the perfect age.  I was 11 years old and eating it up.  I must've read X-Men 242 where the X-Men and X-Factor meet up and fight 100 times.  I wore that issue out.  Though the cut of Havok's torn costume really disturbed me.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2008 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 12  

He quit the first time. IIRC, he and Bob Harras were at odds on the direction of the book. I always figured that maybe Lee wanted to take things a certain way and Harras, as editor, was supporting Lee and Claremont got fed up and left. No idea if that's actually true, but what info we were given at the time ( the Claremont/ Harras tiff) it's what came to mind.

===========================================================

I read once again in the "Creators On X-Men" book in the interbiews with Claremont and Harras, it was over the direction the book was to go in, and the popularity of Jim Lee.

Claremont says he wanted to go in new directions with the book, and that Jim Lee wanted to do stories with things that he loved about the comic in the first place, i.e. Magneto, The Savage Land, The Sentinels,etc. Claremont felt he had covered that ground too many times, and the editors took Lee's side as the books sales had increased again under his art.

Harras says pretty much the same thing except he sided more with Lee as his art was driving the sales of the book at the time.

Edited by Greg McPhee on 26 June 2008 at 8:42am

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version