Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: X-Factor and Bob Layton (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2008 at 9:52pm | IP Logged | 1  

QUOTE:

Volume 7 included FF vs X-Men limited series. Which was interesting. Claremont's FF is interesting. But I think he tends to write Reed as too weak willed and wimpy.

Does that mean another volume has the X Men vs Avengers mini?  I remember the FF series.  It was the one where Kitty was stuck in phase mode and Reed was certainly questioning himself in that series.

Claremont also had a run on the regular FF.  When they did the Heroes Return story, Doom was gone for a bit.  Claremont wrote his return in a series of one shots that eventually lead to a storyarc in the FF.

It was like him writing Magneto.  Doom isn't a villain in any one of those books, and we're taking over a good 10 issues of comics..   The FF storyline was Reed getting stuck in Doom's armor and starting to act more like him, that the armor was influencing his behavior.

Doom works with Sue, Johnny and Reed to get him out of the armor.  I've always thought that Claremont's Doom was too outwardly respectful of
Reed and the rest of the team. 

I still remember the quote as they tried to get Reed out of the armor. As Reed Richards he has no equal, as Doom he had no chance.  Doom saying, as Reed Richards he has no equal?  I don't think so.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Svensson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2008 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 2  

QUOTE:
Whats the hold up on Essential New Mutants. I've been wanting it for years now. Even if I have a decent bit of the series collected from 25 cent bins.

From what I understand, Bill S.'s artwork won't reproduce well in the Essential format, so they're instead doing a series of color TPB reprints.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2008 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 3  

Which is complete bull. It looks freaking fantastic in Moon Knight Essentials #2. The final fight against Marion's brother or something (I don't pay attention I'm horrible) in the ski chalet is one of the greatest reprints of anything ever.

I didn't like X vs FF at all. It was kind of too gloomy. The FF are smart and they do the right thing. The conflict seemed "wrong".

Edited by Martin Redmond on 19 June 2008 at 9:13am

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2008 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 4  

Peter wrote:

Quote:
Whats the hold up on Essential New Mutants. I've been wanting it for years now. Even if I have a decent bit of the series collected from 25 cent bins.

From what I understand, Bill S.'s artwork won't reproduce well in the Essential format, so they're instead doing a series of color TPB reprints.

I'm betting it's all the color holds employed on the series. I looked at the "Uncanny X-Men"  Essentials at my shop to see how they would deal with color holds, and most of the time the holds were dropped. For instance, when Magma (from the "New Mutants") guest-stars in "Uncanny X-Men," the red, wavy lines that were color holds are dropped entirely leaving only her outline and facial features. "New Mutants" used the effect a lot.

I agree with Martin that it can't really be because of Bill Sinkievich's artwork. I don't see why his stuff wouldn't reproduce well in black and white. In fact, I'd think it would work better, given his use of light and shadow.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2008 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 5  

Does that mean another volume has the X Men vs Avengers mini?  I remember the FF series.  It was the one where Kitty was stuck in phase mode and Reed was certainly questioning himself in that series.

Claremont also had a run on the regular FF.  When they did the Heroes Return story, Doom was gone for a bit.  Claremont wrote his return in a series of one shots that eventually lead to a storyarc in the FF.

It was like him writing Magneto.  Doom isn't a villain in any one of those books, and we're taking over a good 10 issues of comics..   The FF storyline was Reed getting stuck in Doom's armor and starting to act more like him, that the armor was influencing his behavior.

Doom works with Sue, Johnny and Reed to get him out of the armor.  I've always thought that Claremont's Doom was too outwardly respectful of
Reed and the rest of the team. 

You would think so. But FF vs Avengers is not included. But Marvel keeps adding stuff in different printings. They put X-Men vs Alpha Flight in 5 and God Loves Man Kills in 4. I feel like im being punished because I bought the books in their first printing.

My guess in this case is the FF limited series finished up the storyline of Kitty being injured.

I read a good chunk of his FF run. I think it was more oftenmore good than bad. But there moments of peopple being out of character. Like you said his Doom seems too respectful and nice. While Doom is honorble and what have you. He is also a nasty person. Thats bubbling right underneath the surface. Claremoint could never quite get the scary/nasty part of hi personality.

I wish he could have gotten a shot writing Iron Man or Avengers post Busiek. Because he did a great job writing them in FF. Especially Iron Man. He also did some great stuff with Iron Man vs the Brood in Contest of Champons 2

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2008 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 6  

Victor wrote:
"They put X-Men vs Alpha Flight in 5 and God Loves Man Kills in 4. I feel like im being punished because I bought the books in their first printing."

Amen to that. Though I'm not sad to have got the republished HC of God Loves Man Kills.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2008 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:

I read a good chunk of his FF run. I think it was more oftenmore good than bad. But there moments of peopple being out of character. Like you said his
Doom seems too respectful and nice. While Doom is honorble and what have you. He is also a nasty person. Thats bubbling right underneath the surface. Claremoint could never quite get the scary/nasty part of hi personality.

One thing Claremont does well, I think, is try to have the characters use their powers in new and imaginitive ways.  He did that with the FF.  Sue and Johnny especially used their powers in ways I had never seen before.

There have been stories where Doom had not been the villian ike the Overmind or when he and the FF removed his replacement ruler in Latveria. 
They didn't last 10 issues, though.

Not that this was my big problem.  My big problem was how respectfully he talked to the FF.  IMO, a perfect example of Doom done right is FF 258.  Kristoff innocently remarks that someone has power that rivals Doom.  A rather large mistake on Kristoff's part.
Could you imagine that character saying, as Reed Richards he has no equal?  Not a chance in hell.

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2008 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 8  

I think in long running comics. There is a great risk of arch villians becoming more like wacky neighbors than truly bad guys. Almost like that wolf and sheepdog cartoon.

I think another problem I had with FF vs X-Men as Doom's plan seemed a bit weasaly for him.

Why did Claremont leave X-Men. Was he fired or did he quit? How are the books after he left?

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2008 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 9  

He quit the first time. IIRC, he and Bob Harras were at odds on the direction of the book. I always figured that maybe Lee wanted to take things a certain way and Harras, as editor, was supporting Lee and Claremont got fed up and left. No idea if that's actually true, but what info we were given at the time ( the Claremont/ Harras tiff) it's what came to mind.

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2008 at 11:06pm | IP Logged | 10  

Yeah, I don't know if it was quit so much as mutually agreed on that it wasn't working anymore.  Mostly I've read that it was Harras.  They just disagreed on too much regarding the characters.

Since he left I've read about some of the storyline plans he had if he stayed.  Honestly, I'm glad some of them didn't happen.

As far as the quality after he left, sort of like X Factor, depends on who you ask. 

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2008 at 11:43pm | IP Logged | 11  

What were some of those nixed storylines?

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2008 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 12  

Ahh, bureaucrats. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version