Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: How Smart is Peter Parker? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2008 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 1  

you only have to look at child prodogy Sufiah Yusef who is now working as a prostitute.

I was going to post something about Peter Parker, then I read this story John Webb posted....Man, is that tragic. Just goes to show that intelligence and wisdom don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2008 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 2  

"you only have to look at child prodogy Sufiah Yusef who is now working as a prostitute."

Please...don't give Joe Q any ideas!

Back to Top profile | search

Chris Durnell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2008 at 6:52pm | IP Logged | 3  

What was Peter's specialty in science anyway, chemistry?  Or was it something else?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2008 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 4  

It was biochemistry and physics, I believe.

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2008 at 12:36am | IP Logged | 5  

I agree with Dave Avenell. Peter is well above average but not a genius. In the world he lives in supervillains can build secret bases and war-satellites singlehandedly. The Flash Rogue's Gallery (if we allow DC stories to be counted) were common thugs who invented fantastic weapons in the prison workshop ! 

When Reed Richards and Hank Pym are impressed by your intelligence you are a genius.

Troy Nunis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2008 at 1:34am | IP Logged | 6  

>>I agree with Dave Avenell. Peter is well above average but not a genius.<<

very often we become glib about throwing out superlative titles to easily, but this seems to be a rare instance when folks are getting conservative more than they should be.  if you have an I.Q. of 140 or better, yer a Genius -- two standard deviation above average -- which I think it's safe to say, Peter clearly is.  Of course, as you point out, so are most supervillains these days -- at the very least building body armor far in advance of what Peter's built.  Heck - crazy as a loon, the Scorpion was able to throw random electronic devices in his tail and wind up with a laser that fired at will.  Peter isn't a Mensa level genius, or even "Top of his field" genius -- but he's a genius nevertheless.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2008 at 2:52am | IP Logged | 7  

IMO he's definitely got the potential to be a bona fide genius, but only if he hung up his webs and did whatever Reed Richards had to do to get to that level. Like Einstein said, genius is 1% inspiration ... 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2008 at 4:13am | IP Logged | 8  

Heck - crazy as a loon, the Scorpion was able to throw random electronic devices in his tail and wind up with a laser that fired at will.

I always thought Scorpion paid for the tail upgrades.

Armindo Macieira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2008 at 6:33am | IP Logged | 9  

One thing that I've always been curious about is the extent of Forge's intelect.

Since he's a mutant with a power that makes him a technology genius, isn't he smarter than Richards in that department?

Back to Top profile | search | www

David Powell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2008 at 6:42am | IP Logged | 10  

IMO he's definitely got the potential to be a bona fide genius, but only if he hung up his webs and did whatever Reed Richards had to do to get to that level. Like Einstein said, genius is 1% inspiration ... 

That was Edison, but I agree.  I think he's got the genius, but not the drive.  His drive has been in the area of his powers.

Also, Hank McCoy discovered the source of the mutant gene, and created a mutagenic compound that affected it.  He also cured the Legacy virus.  I'd say as a biochemist and doctor he's got to be in the genius ranks.  I don't know if he's Hank Pym or Reed Richards smart, but I know plenty of high IQ "geniuses" who create nothing, discover nothing.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2008 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 11  

He tried too hard at using big words when they weren't needed to come off as a genius. 
---
Huh?  That's just the way (properly written) that Hank talks!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2008 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 12  

Peter came up with the web fluid, and the web shooters, and built a doohickey to snafu the Vulture's powers out of stuff he had lying around in his room, all in his earliest appearances. I think he is a genius, but I think the continuous use of his spider powers as an escape from his humdrum life has robbed him of any serious ambitions in that direction, or any career direction, for that matter.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version