Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: How Smart is Peter Parker? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 1  

I think this thread is one of the very important reasons why Peter/Spidey needs to stay young.  Peter was always portrayed as being very smart - definitely someone who could become the next Pym or Stark.  However, that was always in the future.  I think everyone (I'm talking readers) assumed that the logical step of the character would be to become a successful scientist.

Of course, achieving that step would make the character very different than the one everyone is currently reading about.  So Peter needs to stay young and in college.  Peter being an adult and being anything other than a successful scientist is to betray his potential, everything he has worked towards in his life, and everything that Uncle Ben and Aunt May sacrificed for because they knew his potential.

As for Hank McCoy, I always thought Hank was very smart, but not truly a genius.  He tried too hard at using big words when they weren't needed to come off as a genius.  I think he really wanted to be Reed Richards brilliant, but knew he wasn't and it was his way of kidding himself.  Hank is certainly smart enough to understand Marvel style science geniuses and help out Pym in the lab and do lab work, but not really discover anything great on his own.

Back to Top profile | search

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 9:34pm | IP Logged | 2  

If you're 28 and you have a part time job as a photographer and you still have trouble paying rent, you're not nerdy or smart - you're a loser.

Hes a top photographer for a major newspaper. Thats hardly a loser.

Michael Connell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 9:46pm | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:
Hank is certainly smart enough to understand Marvel style science geniuses and help out Pym in the lab and do lab work, but not really discover anything great on his own.

He was smart enough to find out what can happen if you mutate a mutant. ;-)

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 9:49pm | IP Logged | 4  

He's not a top photographer for a major newspaper - he's a freelance photographer for a third-tier newspaper that spends more time editorializing (without factual basis) about Spider-Man than it does actually investigating news stories.

Jimmy Olsen is a top photographer and more recently a cub reporter for a major newspaper. They send him to cover war torn Qurac or to take pics of the Justice League meeting with the President. He works with award-winning journalists like Clark Kent and Lois Lane. He's about 20 and he's Superman's Pal.

Peter Parker gets random shots of Spider-Man foiling a bank robbery for a paper that's going to write a story about how Spider-Man took a cut off the top before handing the dough back to the guards. He's about 25-30 and he's a loser.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 9:59pm | IP Logged | 5  

As for Hank McCoy, I always thought Hank was very smart, but not truly a genius.  He tried too hard at using big words when they weren't needed to come off as a genius.  I think he really wanted to be Reed Richards brilliant, but knew he wasn't and it was his way of kidding himself.  Hank is certainly smart enough to understand Marvel style science geniuses and help out Pym in the lab and do lab work, but not really discover anything great on his own.

---

I'd agree, I guess. Hank McCoy is very well read and has researched different fields, especially mutation, he's just not an inventor or industrialist the way Stark, Pym, Richards or Peter Parker are.

Still, though, that doesn't mean he's not a genius scientist - he's just a genius in a different way. When I was a kid of 10-11, I'd look at Beast and I'd look at Forge (who could whip up anything he thought of) and I always knew/got the impression that Beast was far more intelligent, Forge was just a little more practical. (Side-stepping of course the fact that Forge's "mutant power" is the ability to "make stuff" which is kinda lame. I'd rather have the metal skin or teleportation myself.)

Edited by Brad Krawchuk on 13 April 2008 at 10:01pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 11:15pm | IP Logged | 6  

I actually thought the Teacher job he had was a great change of pace
because Peter is smart enough to teach classes.

---

And needed to run out of class all the time and miss days. A college student
could get away with not coming to class. A freelance photographer would
not be expected to show up at the office every day. A teacher shouldn't be
able to do either. The teacher job was ridiculous.

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2008 at 11:39pm | IP Logged | 7  

He's not a top photographer for a major newspaper - he's a freelance photographer for a third-tier newspaper that spends more time editorializing (without factual basis) about Spider-Man than it does actually investigating news stories.

The Bugle is portrayed as the top newspaper in the Marvel universe and Jonah Jameson is very famous. Peter Parker is Jameson's top photographer. The papers reputation has taken a hit because of JJJs obsession with Spider-Man.

But its still one of the biggest newspapers in the world. With Peter Parker being the top freelancer there.

Regardless still doesnt equal him being a loser. Neither does having trouble making rent.

Chris Durnell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2008 at 1:20am | IP Logged | 8  

Brad, your point about Forge is relevant, and is one reason why I dislike the character.  His "power" is too comic-booky.  Other mutants' powers are OK - laser beam eyes, telekinesis, cold generation, wings.  But "I can invent anything" sounds less like a "real" power, and one that can only exist in the artificial constraints of "comic book logic."

I could accept Forge much more easily as an example of another gifted human in the vein of Tony Stark, but without possessing his charm or business acumen.

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2008 at 1:51am | IP Logged | 9  

There was an excelent What If story in the second volume of the title, where Peter doesn't get the Spider-powers and yet he manages to becoma Spider-Man, albeit in alternative form, due to his great mind. It was written & inked by Terry Austin with pencils by Stuart Immonen. Highly recommended, since I consider it one of the last good represantations of Peter's character.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2008 at 3:29am | IP Logged | 10  

JB had included Peter as one of the top 5 smartest MU characters, which I
thought was interesting. I do like when he uses basic principles of
science to defeat his enemies.
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Peter is very intelligent but I'm not sure I agree with top 5. Here's a few
who I would rate ahead of Peter

Reed Richards
Hank Pym
Dr. Doom
Hank McCoy
Bruce Banner
The leader
The fixer
the high evolutionary
The thinker
Tony Stark
Professor Horton
the wizard

There's probably a lot more. Peter may have the potential to pull himself
up to the next level but he's too busy with his other responsibilities to do
so.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2008 at 3:50am | IP Logged | 11  

I agree with Dave Avenell. Peter is well above average but not a genius. In the world he lives in supervillains can build secret bases and war-satellites singlehandedly. The Flash Rogue's Gallery (if we allow DC stories to be counted) were common thugs who invented fantastic weapons in the prison workshop ! 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 14 April 2008 at 3:53am

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2008 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 12  

But wouldn't it be more 'consistent' for Peter to never get that dream job, either as a scientist, teacher, TA or whatever... simply because he's the "hard luck hero that things never work out for?"

Because of who he is and the sacrifices he must make to keep being Spider-Man, perhaps he will never get a meaningful job regardless of his potential or worth.

(I applauded Mackie's notion of having Peter finally get to work for a science firm - it still seems that Peter could get that to work for him somehow, even if part-time.)

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version