Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Team-Up (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2008 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 1  

I've always had a soft spot for the old Marvel Team-Up book and just thought it deserved a conversation.

For much of its run, it was something of a red-headed stepchild. All of the main Spider-Man storyline development took place in Amazing and Spectacular, so Marvel Team-Up often felt isolated from the events in the other spider-books. Plus, the book's writers and artists were limited in how they could use Spider-Man's supporting characters and A-list villains.

But despite those handicaps, the creative teams (including our esteemed host, who had a noteworthy run on Marvel Team-Up) were able to put out a consistently entertaining book month after month.

Plus, I just liked the concept of Spider-Man teaming up on a temporary basis with various other heroes. Books like MTU, The Brave & The BoldMarvel Two-in-One, etc. give lesser-known heroes a chance in the spotlight. Sure, it's great to see Spidey tag team with Daredevil and the Human Torch, but it's also fun to see him paired with the likes of Devil-Slayer, Brother Voodoo and Doc Samson.

So what do you guys think of Marvel Team-Up? And are there any particular stories or runs that stand out in your mind?

Edited by Bruce Buchanan on 04 April 2008 at 8:31am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2008 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 2  

Marvel Team-Up 68 was my first comic (well actually the Marvel Tales reprint) and still possesses one of my all-time favorite covers.

From my art collection:

Edited by Joe Hollon on 04 April 2008 at 8:35am

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2008 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 3  

Spider-man/Red Sonja might be the best issue of that run. 

Last I checked, the vultures were milking out a whole series out of that...
Back to Top profile | search

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2008 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 4  

Oh, and I am big fan of the Spider-man/Black Widow/Nick Fury/Master of Kung Fu storyline!  Claremont, Sal Buscema and Steve Leialoha made a great team. Leialoha over-powered Buscema just enough to make the women more attractive, and the art retains all the kinetic power of Sal. 

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2008 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 5  

Overall, I liked the book.  On the spectrum of team-up titles, I'd put it below Two-In-One, about even with JB's Action Comics run, and above the original Brave and the Bold which I'd put above DC Comics Presents.  (Current B&B is still a tad too new to give a fair assessment to.  We'll see how #12 goes.)

I think the highpoints of the series were the Claremont (with and without JB) and DeMatteis runs, although Mantlo did a decent job and there were other decent issues along the way by others.  #106 is a high point for nostalgic reasons - it was my first Spider-Man comic (and possibly my first comic period). :-)

The earlier (pre-Mantlo) issues generally don't do much for me, but I did like the attempt to give non-Spider-Man team-ups a try for a little while, even if all of them had the Human Torch instead. 

One thing I miss about the team-up titles - they gave writers of cancelled books a place to tie up their plotlines.  Sure, you had to find a way to include Spider-Man or whoever in the story, but that's better than nothing.

Edited by Dave Phelps on 04 April 2008 at 8:38am

Brad Teschner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2008 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 6  

one of the first comics I read was MTU #78...introduced me to Wonder Man and I was terrified of the Griffin.  Never really followed the title regularly but I enjoyed it when I read it.

Bruce Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2008 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 7  

The Claremont and DeMatteis runs were great. But my favorite run probably was the Mantlo/Sal Buscema era.

They did a great two-part storyline in MTU #39-40 where Spider-Man, the Human Torch and the Sons of the Tiger (a kung fu group) battled the Sandman, the Enforcers and two long-lost villains from the early days of Spider-Man -- the Crime-Master and the Big Man.

This storyline was a total love-fest to the Lee/Ditko era, to the point that Sandman even brought back his striped green shirt and corduroy pants! It's hard to find a more fun story than this one.

William McCormick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2008 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 8  

Oh, and I am big fan of the Spider-man/Black Widow/Nick Fury/Master of Kung Fu storyline! 

One of the first comics I remember reading. My mother bought the first two in the storyline while we were camping. I never read the conclusion till years later when I became a collector. Bought the back issues at a comic shop in Rochester, NY.

Issues 82 to 85 for those not in the know.

Edited by William McCormick on 04 April 2008 at 9:04am

Donald Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2008 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 9  

Two of my childhood Favorites...

Sweet Sweet Werewolves,

Don

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2008 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 10  

Those look fun.  Though, nowadays, I don´t much like the Man-Wolf character. 

Ernest Voyard
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2008 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 11  

One of the first series that I collected was MTU - and then it got canceled.  It was how I got introduced to the X-Men and the Juggernaut.  I think it was a great title, but once Spider-Man started appearing everywhere and people were always crossing over, it guess it seemed less necessary.

It was great to see under used characters - I enjoyed Marvel Tales reprints of it and searched out back issues.  It also had a great 1 or 2 and done feel. 

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2008 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 12  

LOVED this series.

Mentioned in another thread about the Griffin storyline, and I also have a soft spot for the Valkyrie/Meteor Man story. 

Oh, and the time travel story with Doom's platform! And Moondragon! 
She was a hottie!

Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version