Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: Popular current writers that you just don’t get (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2008 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 1  

QUOTE:
The artist whose name you can't recall on Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man's portion of "The Other" was indeed Mike Wieringo.

Whoops.  Thinking of the other title then.

Edit: looked up the other title; it was Marvel Knights SPIDER-MAN; artist was Pat Lee.

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 21 March 2008 at 9:54am
Back to Top profile | search

Todd Douglas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2008 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 2  

Figured it was something like that, but didn't want to assume.

Myself, I didn't bother with "The Other."

Unfortunately, I'd been looking forward to Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man since it was announced.  PAD & Ringo on a Spider-Man book?  Sounded like heaven.  But, I didn't start picking up the series until #5.  Not only did I not have interest in "The Other," not only did I not have interest in the other two titles, but with the creative team "stunt" Marvel pulled with "The Other," even if I'd resigned myself to getting only 1/3 of the story by picking up FNSM, I still would've gotten only two of those four issues by PAD/Ringo.  I mean, I can understand the logic of launching the new series as part of a crossover with the two existing series, but I certainly don't understand the logic of launching a new series, then having the second and third issues by different writers and going back to the regular writer with the fourth.

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2008 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 3  

I've read stuff from all writers here, and from that list I select the guys who have yet to write a SINGLE comic story I like, just one:
Mark Millar
JMS
Judd Winick

Guys who have written at least ONE story I liked, but which routinely write stuff I don't:
Jeph Loeb
Joe Kelly

Guys who should never write super-heroes, but are fine in other stuff:
Brian Bendis
Garth Ennis
Brian Azzarello

Guys who can write super-heroes well as long as there is an editor who reins in their worst instincts:
Warren Ellis
Grant Morrison

Guys I love and you are unfairly mixing with the others here:
Joe Kelly
Peter David
Alan Moore
Keith Giffen
J.M. DeMatteis
Jim Starlin (Jim Starlin?!? Are you guys serious? Classic super-hero writer if there is one!)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 21 March 2008 at 8:59pm | IP Logged | 4  

Anyway, that's why I disliked "The Other."  Aren't you glad you asked?  :-)

Thanks Paulo!  I am glad I asked.  I share some of your assessments.

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 21 March 2008 at 9:02pm | IP Logged | 5  

Jim Starlin (Jim Starlin?!? Are you guys serious? Classic super-hero writer if there is one!)

I agree with you Pedro !  Starlin's a great creator/artist/writer !

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2008 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 6  

Re: Jeph Loeb. I loved all the limited series I've read from him, i.e., the
Batman stuff, Superman for All Seasons, Catwoman: When in Rome, the
Marvel "color" stuff, etc. I loved his run on Superman/Batman, especially the
first and third arcs, as well as the story he wrote for his son.

But his stint as the regular writer on Superman was just boring.

I've not ventured over to Ultimates 3 because I'm not a "Joe Mad" fan.

Steve Swanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2008 at 5:27am | IP Logged | 7  

Grant Morrisson is someone whose work I like but I'm not incredibly enthused about.

Though that can probably be attributed to his fans and Wizard Magazine, he delivers a pretty good story and they all jump up and down like it's the second coming and all I can say is that it was pretty good or even really good.

Seven Soldiers of Victory was really good but essentially it boiled down to big evil guys and we need seven unlikely heroes to save the world. Not sure what was groundbreaking about that.

It's kind of odd but it isn't like Alan Moore fans who can often be really stuck up and snobbish, more like Morrison's fans just have incredible enthusiasm for his work and don't understand why others might not be as enthused.

It's almost like Millar for me, I really enjoy a lot of Millar's work but he comes across in interviews as a bit of a wank and at times it makes me eye his work a little skeptically. Instead of hoping the work is good, or expecting the work to be good I'm thinking the work had better be good to justify his statements.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2008 at 5:40am | IP Logged | 8  

My only real problem with Grant Morrison is that he has some kind of disdain for super heroes, or at least costumes, and apparently feels the need at some point to have characters mention that in the comics he writes.

He's doing a decent job on Batman, but unless they replace him with someone lousy (Man, I hope DC never hires JMS or Paul Jenkins), I won't miss him when he eventually leaves.

*edit* Forgot to mention this, but a few months back, at another board I go to someone was criticising Chris Claremont for being too wordy (and I don't agree, but I can see where they might be coming from) but was verbally fellating Brian Michael Bendis. I'd take someone who uses too much words (as long as its not a pure talking heads comic with no actual action) over someone who takes six issues to do something that could be done in one or two any day.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 22 March 2008 at 5:43am

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2008 at 6:07am | IP Logged | 9  

someone who takes six issues to do something that could be done in one or two any day.

Aren't they all writing for the Trade Paperbacks now?  The big panels, the long,drawn out stories.  Perhaps they need to flesh the stories out more and still get the story in an issue or two, but still write for the TPB.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2008 at 6:09am | IP Logged | 10  

I've found Geoff Johns to be disappointing recently. For me, his "Sinestro Wars" bloated and maudlin. He's let DC's crossovers derail his Teen Titans and JSA. It's great that he's a team player, but it's making his stories unenjoyable.

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2008 at 7:17am | IP Logged | 11  

Oh, you can add Paul Jenkins to the "guys who have written at least ONE story i did like, but usually do stuff I don't" list. He is one of the worst current writers out there, but almost looked good when I compared his Spider-Man with Stravesty's!

And I remembered another who is a total loss, Frank Tieri. He really just got the job because he was Quesada's pal...

David Kingsley Kingsley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2008 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 12  

"David, don't want to dispute tastes but can you explain why you liked it?  I'm trying to get an idea of its appeal."

Paulo, I can try to explain why I liked the Other, but I must, first, admit that there were many, many parts of it that didn't work for me. I can agree with the poster that said the May and MJ in Iron Man armor was silly. I'll add that JMS ressurecting his villain, Morlun, without detailing how in the hell the villain returned to life is lazy writing. But I do think that Spider-Man believing that he is dying makes for comeplling storytelling.

And the scenes that had to do with Peter and MJ's marriage were some of the best moments that the character has, in my opinion EVER had. The fact that these quiet moments were interspersed in a adequately (at best) plotted crossover, I think, makes people neglect or ignore them. But the issues where the Avengers sneak Mary Jane into the hospital so that she can say her goodbyes to Peter, the sequence where Peter takes his wedding ring back, and a few of the other character driven moments that all three writers (even Hudlin) wrote, I thought, made up for everything that had preceded it. The action centerpiece of the crossver, the infamous eyeball-eating battle between Spider-Man and Morlun, was also probably the best fight scene of 2005.

Edited by David Kingsley Kingsley on 22 March 2008 at 9:09am

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version