Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: Popular current writers that you just don’t get (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
Wish Granted

Posted: 20 March 2008 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 1  

I agree Kirk that Ennis is a suitable fit for Punisher, but did you read his Ghost Rider?  It was awful.  I don't get where Lucifier came into the picture nor do I understand how the heck GR became an angel of vengenace.  His whole bag was that he was bonded to a demon not an angel.  What's worse was trying to get through Ennis' attempt at being funny when he had Punisher run over Wolverine with a steam roller and the canuncklehead popped up from the ground like a Warner Bros cartoon character.  I believe that happened in the third HC volume of Ennis' Punisher run btw.
Back to Top profile | search

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2008 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 2  

Loved the Mallah and the Brain romance. Loved it. What don't you like about it, just out of curiousity, Chad?

Is this a trick question, DKK? For one thing, before I realized the unearthly cool of Gorilla Man (Marvel), the only M-60 toting talking gorilla around was Mallah, and he was a badass (first intro for me, the NEW TEEN TITANS three-part hunting of the murderers of the Doom Patrol by Wolfman and Perez).

Also, the Brain, though not as cool as TOMB OF DRACULA's Doctor Sun, was at least a brain in a jar super-evil-genius.

Now, to my mind, Mallah and the Brain were two severely wicked villains with a high moral code...in fact, they'd have been perfect as "professional rivals" of the Suicide Squad, with their Brotherhood of Evil.

What I dug about them was their purely criminal/mercenary mentality, their willingness to lay it all on the line. Shrewd instead of intelligent, vicious instead of artful, living in an amoral villain universe.

Now, Morrison's "joke" has become rule, a point picked up by the comic culture and made concrete, like the Rhino is always a clod, like the Hulk suffers from MPD, like Cyclops is an asshole, like Superman is a dimwit and a government tool, like Black Adam is not a ripped-off Namor (but at least Namor as he should be), like Barry Allen is "dead", and so on.

So no one can use Mallah or the Brain without this being an issue. I think Gorilla Grodd just solved this problem by beating the two of them to death in SALVATION RUN (rumor?). Probably just as well. Thanks Grant Morrison.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2008 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 3  

You know, if we had a thread called "Writers who totally rule!" I'd name Geoff Johns.

And I'd have to come right over here and put his name as well.

As excellent as he can be, his puerile sensibilities are sometimes displayed as destructive...kind of like when I was a kid, my grandmother told me not to hit the old rotting wood fence at the edge of the yard, using my "sword" (a stick), breaking the little slats. But see, I was Flash Gordon fighting a robot army, so I had to hit the fence and break it, because it COULD be broken by my little punk ass. And Johns has that kind of hard-headedness...he knows the condition of some of these characters is tentative, but if he gets wind they are free to be broken, he breaks them in the most gore-laden, insensitive manner available.

And I'd like him to be the one to say, "No. I may not care about Earth 2 Superman enough NOT to have him beaten to death by Superboy, but I'm going to spare comics another horrible decision and allow that Kal-L might still be alive, somewhere, because this is comics and no matter how Superman's death goes down, somebody can easily bring him back, and knowing that defuses the poignancy of the death. So why do it? Why not make the fans wonder IF he's dead or not? Doesn't that carry more weight? He's SUPERMAN...after all."

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2008 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 4  

Judd Winick.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 20 March 2008 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 5  

No, I like JMS too.

Good to know !  I thought I was the only one !

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 20 March 2008 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 6  

In my opinion - I don't think it's "suitable", ever to have the violence turned up to 11. A "long view" of a person getting shot - or some off-panel violence is plenty.

Well said !

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2008 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 7  

What I dug about them was their purely criminal/mercenary mentality,
their willingness to lay it all on the line. Shrewd instead of intelligent,
vicious instead of artful, living in an amoral villain universe.
+++++++++++++++++++
Does Mallah and the brain's feelings for each other change the above?

Nice to hear someone else fondly remembers Dr. sun.

Jason Ditzel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2008 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 8  

I've noticed a correlation between the writers who site Alan Moore and his Watchmen as inspiration and my disinterest in their product.

Steve Horton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2008 at 10:37pm | IP Logged | 9  

Dan Brown. The DaVinci Code was one of the worst things I have ever read.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Svensson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2008 at 12:16am | IP Logged | 10  

"Bendis has this thing with his dialog."
"A thing?"
"Yeah, this thing."
"What sort of thing?"
"Everyone uses the same speech patterns."
"Everyone?"
"Yeah, everyone."
"Like, Reed Richards and Luke Cage all talk the same way? Is that what you mean?"
"What?"
"Is that what you mean?"
"Yeah. Bendis has this style that he does well, and shoehorns it on every character. So Aunt May and the Punisher all end up talking the same way."
"The same way, huh."
"The same way."
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2008 at 7:07am | IP Logged | 11  

Dan, don't tell me you liked "The Other."

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2008 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 12  

The only writer I'm enjoying at all that would be considered "modern" is Robert Kirkman. 

Oh, and Wayne Osborn.  Nothing else out there for me.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version