Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: Popular current writers that you just don’t get (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 20 March 2008 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 1  

J.M. DeMatteis' Defenders Indefensible was a major change from the "dignified Defenders" I grew up.  Indefensible was a major dissapointment !  Over the years, I 've sensed that some readers think that Dr. Strange is too aloof, even stuffy.  But imagine the normal life context of a man who spends most of his time reading dusty tomes and meditating in surrealistic dimensions.  That character would tend to be mysterious, thoughgtful, quiet, exacting in his discipline, be somewhat aloof, even "bookish" and lack some (but not all) people skills.  Yet in the midst of all that, he was (prior to JMDeM) a man of thoughtful compassion for those he defended.  With the exception of BKV's take on Dr. Strange which was humorous without being over the top ridiculous, I believe Strange works best when he's a quiet introvert instead of wise-cracking extrovert.  Stephen Strange is not Spider-Man or She-Hulk.  'Nuff Said !
Back to Top profile | search

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2008 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 2  

I got burned out on JM Dematteis fast the 4th time in a row I bought a comic from him about a goddess and her cult. The last thing I bought was Seekers.

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 20 March 2008 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 3  

Surprised to see people mention Joe Casey. Have those people read any of his recent Marvel work like Earth's Mightiest Heroes which I thought was great? Love the first issue of Last Defenders too.

Both volumes of AEMH are oustanding !  I haven't read LD. Am on the fence about that one, but not because Casey is writing it.  The art it is . . . . hmmm, I can't describe it, except to say, unpleasant to my eyes !  That and the fact that for me the Defenders will always be Stephen Strange, Namor, Norrin Radd & Bruce Banner !  Nighthawk, Valkyrie, et. al. are all fine characters, but to me, they are not (nor have they ever been) the heart of the team.

Edited by Dan Walsh on 20 March 2008 at 7:16am

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2008 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 4  

QUOTE:
Surely you can guess one of them. ;)

Yeah, I would guess Spider-Man, but I'd also have to wonder why he'd take apparent offense at being called "webhead."

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 20 March 2008 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 5  

Yeah, I would guess Spider-Man, but I'd also have to wonder why he'd take apparent offense at being called "webhead."

My thoughts exactly !  I would guess Power Man was the other character as he tends to banter with Spidey quite a bit !

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2008 at 7:36am | IP Logged | 6  

That also reminds me of one of my reasons for steering clear of Bendis: the idea of Spider-Man and Wolverine being Avengers.  Blech.

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 20 March 2008 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 7  

Spider-Man I like.  I've never been interested in Wolverine or the X-Men.  I think Logan should have stayed with Xavier's gang !

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2008 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 8  

I like Spider-Man too.  But not as an Avenger.

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2008 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 9  

<<Who were the speakers in that brilliant exchange?>>

Aaah sorry guys, I made it up. I just tried to recreate quintissential Bendis...

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2008 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 10  

I see.

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 20 March 2008 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 11  

I like Spider-Man too.  But not as an Avenger.

Technically I don't like him as an Avenger either.  But I've found Bendis' portrayal of SM's wisecracks to be uproariously funny.  Thus I've embraced Spidey as a team member !

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2008 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 12  

Morrison is not a genius.

I find his Animal Man and JLA stuff brilliant. New X-men was experimental and interesting, a vast improvement over preceding issues. Characters acting wonky I can let slide, since his stories are often thought provoking and exciting.

I like his affection for the Silver Age, and his attempts to breath new life into forgotten tales.

I'm a bit iffy on the hype machine surrounding Dan Slott, but admittedly haven't read much of his work.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version