Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: Popular current writers that you just don’t get (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2008 at 6:28am | IP Logged | 1  

Considering Ellis' vocal 'distaste' for superheroes, its interesting that he's now writing Marvels X-Men flagship title.
Back to Top profile | search

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2008 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 2  

Nextwave is awful. :P 

It isn't funny and it isn't offensive. Issue 2 was mildly funny with the cop getting possessed by the doughnut cat. The rest, I'm at a loss as to why anyone over 8 year old would laugh at "Fing Fang Foom wears giant purple underwear", "omgosh he's gonna put you in them lol lol lol". I'll be laughing any minute now.

Or the Devil Dinosaur joke? He ate Ape Boy? What's funny about it? Was it meant to be offensive to anyone? It's funnier to ask myself why Ellis thought the book was funny than it is to read it.He also had one of the characters say "zomg"...

It's like when I see pics of the Wonder Twins french kissing and I have to wonder, because to be old enough to remember who those characters where and to still find that joke funny years later, it's simply amazing. Isn't that humor tired and cliched by now?

Peter Svensson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2008 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 3  

Martin, it's just not your type of humor. I think it's hilarious, and some of the only Superhero stuff Ellis does that I enjoy. It's just that it's a book that you either completely love or completely hate, I've seen no middle ground.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Edwards
Byrne Robotics Member
Wish Granted

Posted: 25 March 2008 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 4  

As some one who has read DC One Million and Grant Morrison's entire JLA run I can say that DC One Million was garbage and JLA went sputtering from good ideas with poor execution to down right Silver Age silly trash. 

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2008 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 5  

Almost everything that I thought was halfway decent about Morrison's JLA
was him recycling Silver-age stories. Tomorrow Woman was just re-
telling of the Red Tornado/Vision joining the team stories. The Martian
Invasion resulting in line-up variations had been done 3 times before: the
"first" time had Martian Manhunter leaving the team, the second time was
the untold origin that had various 1950's characters joining the Silver-age
heroes coming together, and the third resulting in the classic team being
disbanded and the Detroit era starting. The rest had a few nuggets of
something interesting but too over the top for me to really get into,
almost a parody or pastiche of Silver-age superhero style.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2008 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 6  

Nextwave always came across to me as, "This superhero comic stuff is
stupid, and you are stupid for liking it."

Also: "Pay $2.99 to read how stupid you are for liking this stuff."

Edited by Michael Roberts on 26 March 2008 at 8:44am

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2008 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 7  

I hate Brian Michael Bendis. I mean, I truly hate that guy. Every time I read anything he's written, I hate him as a human being. To his core.

I just looked at the Entertainment Weekly preview of SECRET INVASION...who...who...who READS this tripe?

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2008 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 8  

I'm sure there's hundreds of thoulsands of people simply begging to collect all 500 collectable parts of Silent Invasion.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2008 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 9  

Chad wrote:
...I hate him as a human being...

I'm just curious, what has Bendis done to make you hate him as a human being?

Back to Top profile | search | www

David Kingsley Kingsley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2008 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 10  

I've read all of Grant Morrison's major Superhero work and I cannot fathom how anyone can believe that he's either writing superheroes, disdainfully, or deliberately "ripping off" stories.

Morrison ripping off The Fantastic Four story or the stories where robots join superteams is laughable and it's absurd. A poster already pointed out how having a non-powered hero triumph in a supernatural conflict is a staple in fiction which features heroes, but, while we're making willy-nilly accusations in a genre that defines itself on a cyclical nature and self-referencing lets accuse: The Skrulls of ripping off Martian Manhunter or All Batman stories where the dynamic duo beat up aliens being stolen to write the FF story. Same with the Red Tornado/Vision/Tomrrow Girl "debate" you bring up: Red Tornado's just a imagination-less clone of The Vision, so it moots your original comparison, anyway. Furthermore, they're all rip-offs or DC/National's Robot-Man. Ed, you can't just accuse Morrison of plagiarism; it's ridiculous and its baseless. That Morrison's work relies often on homages and honoring what has come before it, I could not agree with you more, but if we start calling him a thief when he so obviously is not, then we open a can of worms which leads to silly accusations like the ones I've outlined above.

And I could see why some people could see his dismissal of superhero costumes as disdain for costumes, but the man's work on Superman, Batman (and let's put the Killing Joke aside, here, it was twenty years ago), Flex Mentallo, JLA, The Doom Patrol (which the series' original creator praised for being closest to his vision of the team), and X-Men argue for an affinity for superheroes that I think argue that he might respect heroes more than anyone else in the medium. He has wonky dialougue, insane plot devices, bizarre pacing, and introduces weird characters: these are all logical "problems" inherent to his work, which can be leveled against him. But All-Star Superman resonates with hope and optimism (whether or not you like it is immaterial, I dont' think anyone can argue that it's NOT an optimistic story about the idealism represented by Superman); His Batman work goes against modern type and imagines a well-balanced and well-adjusted crime-fighter, rather than a revenge-driven sociopath; and his JLA work used the comparison of the team to the Greek pantheon as the series' crux. Whenever coming onto a series, Morrison never throws out any previous writers' work and instead tries to find ways to make it work (Cyclops' possession by Apocalypse in X-Men, Batman being written as if every Batman stories ever written was in-continuity). Again, I can understand not liking Morrison or not liking that he has various characters dismiss a conceit of the genre, but to dismiss him or accuse him of disliking superheroes is silly and misinformed. Most interviews I read with him have him talking about how much he loves superheroes and how happy he is writing and imagining stories for these characters.

And Chad: you hate Bendis as a human being? Good God, man, why not just hate his work? Life's too short to be so consumed by hatred for a guy who once wrote a 22-page comic book relying on almost entirely monkey sex. And I say this as the man's biggest fan.  

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2008 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 11  

Reading the news about Geoff Johns bringing back 'Earth-2' I can't help but wonder what everyone sees in him that I don't.  Has he ever done a solid story that isn't just retrieving or rehashing some bit of old continuity? 

His books don't even feel like writing to me, just editorial/continuity clean-up.  That isn't to say it's unreadable, but it all feels like the back of a novel, the bones of the plot without any noticeable or tasty actual writing and it all feels so ... corporate, for lack of a better world.  Not to mention that he frequently stuffs needless salty language and scenes into his books ... and I'm someone who doesn't care about that stuff at all most of the time.  But for me when Johns does it, it feels like a kid trying to cuss to be around the cool kids.

Edited by John Popa on 27 March 2008 at 1:51pm

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2008 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 12  

BMBendis makes me sick too, he is a total opportunist with no values. Just look at the kind of artwork he praises. Check out the bottom posts. The entire issue is made out of this, but he still considers the artist a "genius" and refers to the mob posting his uncredited sources as a mob of stupid people giving him shit for no reason. Mind you, most of the traces are from the same Adam Hughes comic.

I'm sorry I don't mind the occasional homage or reinterpreting a short passage of a popular book to your own style, but seeing this go unpunished really pisses me off:

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=147491&page= 16

Edited by Martin Redmond on 27 March 2008 at 2:47pm

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version