Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: Popular current writers that you just don’t get (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2008 at 3:26pm | IP Logged | 1  

Morrison has done a decent, but not exactly earth-shaking or groundbreaking - job on Batman, but like I said I won't miss him when he eventually leaves.

The only REALLY stupid thing he's done is Damien. DC decided a long time ago to remove the Son of the Demon graphic novel, where Batman has a baby with Talia, from continuity - easy to do since it wasn't referenced outside that GN, as far as I know. It was relegated to Elseworlds status, but I believe it wouldn't take much to set it on the Kingdom Come Earth instead, since one of the characters in KC was Bruce's son. Damien is Bruce and Talia's son and unfortunately was trained to be an assassin - he actually tried to kill Tim and did kill Batman's enemy the Spook (decapitated him and brought his head back to the Batcave). Nothing was explained about his origins and Talia left with him after a few issues, then later on in Batman #666, which takes place in the future where Damien is Batman, it was revealed that he was a test tube baby, made using Talia's DNA and Bruce's DNA which was stolen. So he's not really Bruce's son as much as he is a partial clone.

I hope at some point another writer fixes this and reveals it all to be a lie, if that hasn't happened already (I didn't read the Resurrection of Ra's storyarc that ran through the various Bat-titles, so I don't know if Damien appeared in that), or that someone (NOT the Joker, for christsakes!) offs Damien and they don't have Bruce's DNA to make another.

The Ostrander-Mandrake 4-parter that interrupted Morrison's run was more disappointing that Morrison's work on the title. I expected better, since Ostrander and Mandrake were killer on The Spectre, but they borrowed a bunch of things to make the story's villain: He looked a lot like Leatherface armed with a flamethrower arm, had the name of a Marvel villain (Grotesk - yes, even used that spelling), and an origin a bit similar to Darkman's.

The text issue with CGI artwork with the Joker and Harley Quinn that Morrison wrote was pretty bad, though - and what makes it even worse is that the aforementioned 4-parter was done because that issue wasn't done in time!

Edited by Brian Floyd on 23 March 2008 at 3:27pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2008 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 2  

so, are characters now speaking for the author?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2008 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 3  

Aaron -- I've read O'Neil and Englehart's runs on Batman and both were top notch and brilliant takes on the caped crusader.  The problem is from what I remember at the time is that people still associated Batman with that stupid 60's television show and not what was being written in the 70's and early 80's period.  When Frank Miller came on and did Dark Knight Returns it was like slapping the whole fan boy nation in the face and giving the world a huge wake up call as to what was happening at the time in the industry.  That's why I mentioned Frank Miller because people largely aside from those here haven't read O'Neil and Englehart's work with the character.  Which reminds me I still need to read O'Neil's Batman: Venom.

I can agree with some of that. I remember Miller's DARK KNIGHT getting a lot of attention outside the comics readership, in the newspapers and such. I just hate it, hate it, hate it when people who are supposedly knowledgable within comics fandom try to give Miller all the credit for the "serious" Batman, as if the 70s never happened. I see that that's not what you meant. I just have an irresistible need to comment whenever it seems like that is what is being implied.

Of course, I'm pretty sure many civilians still think of Batman in terms of Adam West. That show made a huge cultural mark, which will need a lot more than Frank Miller and Christian Bale to erase.  

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2008 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 4  

so, are characters now speaking for the author?

Well, I guess Morrison made his points known publicly on what he thought of the tropes of the superhero, so having his characters dismiss costumes in a book he's writing might be indicative of the author's views.

Aaron: I thought Miller was given credit for establishing a Gotham unlike the one that had existed before. In Miller's Gotham, predisposed to Miller's noir fascination, the city is rife with corruption and psychopathic murderers of different skill levels, which Miller heightened in DKR to indicate just how far society had fallen and how much Batman was needed.

Now, that style of corrupt, bleak 1970s nihilism combined with 1980s lust for power created a hybrid for a bunch of creators to take off on. This was the nasty world of fear and shadows lurking in the back of our collective consciousness, and Miller hooked a comics generation on it.

The Miller Batman's world was extremely overwrought. I think if Miller had written/drawn the actual Batman comic, as he had DAREDEVIL, he would have presented more of that DD world, a world typical with greed and corruption, but rife with preternatural threats like ninjas and more aggressive rogues, probably heightening their threat (as he did Bullseye).

So, I've stopped blaming Miller for the "dark" Batman; he produced a singular story set in a crumbling, bleak future...Tim Burton took off on Miller's Gothic Gotham to get his art department to produce a noir cityscape look that carried over to the animated show, and associated strongly with Batman to the point that Gotham will never be "just" a city again, but a mishmash of turn of the century architecture and 1950s cars. 

I prefer the 1970s Batman and his world as I think it was, where the difference between good and evil was more clear. You can fault the Adam West show for a lot of things, but Batman's portrayal is actually fairly on the money...he's on the side of the right, he's a harmless wealthy dude as Bruce Wayne, he's considerate of the weak and a champion of the oppressed as Batman, he thinks intelligently through a problem and, while not humorless, he is reserved but not inhuman...and his pursuit of justice is unshakable except in the face of the only woman who really turns him on, Catwoman. 

The show cursed us with the cultural references that comics cannot shake, but in terms of Batman's portrayal, Adam West and the writers actually did a decent job I think. 

Back to Top profile | search

Avi Bastermagian
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2008 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 5  

Brian:
Bullshit?  I hate to break it to you, but since you haven't even read the man's work on JLA, a series that features almost every major DC costumed A-List hero and is written with an obvious love of superhero comics, you are just talking out of turn.

His X-Men run presupposed the notion that the X-Men are NOT SUPERHEROES, but are the next evolutionary step of humanity.  The X-Men are not the Avengers, otherwise, why are mutants so hated but Asgardian gods and Super Soldiers embraced by the public? 

By the way, having a couple of characters have dissenting views on costumes does not mean the writer does.

Before you make blanket statements about a writer's work like "In almost every run he's done on a superhero comic, he eventually has characters disparage the idea of wearing costumes or make some smart aleck remark about them." try reading some of those works.  

What have you read? Batman and New X-Men?  Try Flex Mentallo, Animal Man, Flash,  JLA, DC One Million.. the man does love comicbooks and superheroes. 

You may be getting him confused with Warren Ellis or something, who has said repeatedly that he does harbor disdain for them.  

Edited by Avi Bastermagian on 23 March 2008 at 8:27pm

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2008 at 12:27am | IP Logged | 6  

<<Well, I guess Morrison made his points known publicly on what he thought of the tropes of the superhero, so having his characters dismiss costumes in a book he's writing might be indicative of the author's views.>>

I had posted a portion of his X Men manifesto on here awhile back.  From that, it's pretty clear that he didn't think that they should wear costumes.  I don't think he should have had Logan say what he said becauae I think it's silly considering the character's history of wearing one before he was an X Men and many times where he wasn't with them.

That said, I never accused Morrison of feeling that way in general.  Far as I knew, the X Men were the only example.

<<I prefer the 1970s Batman and his world as I think it was, where the difference between good and evil was more clear.>>

Same here. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2008 at 5:47am | IP Logged | 7  

Brian:
Bullshit?  I hate to break it to you, but since you haven't even read the man's work on JLA, a series that features almost every major DC costumed A-List hero and is written with an obvious love of superhero comics, you are just talking out of turn.

I avoided his run on JLA because someone I know who has similar tastes was reading it and didn't like it, so I skipped it. But if he ripped off a classic Marvel story for his first story on the series, that's all I need to know.

His X-Men run presupposed the notion that the X-Men are NOT SUPERHEROES, but are the next evolutionary step of humanity.  The X-Men are not the Avengers, otherwise, why are mutants so hated but Asgardian gods and Super Soldiers embraced by the public? 

His X-Men run didn't presuppose anything that hadn't been done by other writers before, and them being the next evolutionary step of humanity is more or less the entire premise of the series in the first place! The feared and hated by humanity thing was hinted at early on in the original series....back in the 1960s....but not expanded and focused on until later. WAAAAAAAY before Grant Morrison.

By the way, having a couple of characters have dissenting views on costumes does not mean the writer does.

I call world class bullshit on this, because why would even have a character WHO HAS BEEN WEARING COSTUMES FOR YEARS do so in the first place if you didn't feel that way? I can understand it when a character makes fun of a new costume design that sucks, but not costumes in general. And New X-Men isn't the only time he's had characters do that.

Before you make blanket statements about a writer's work like "In almost every run he's done on a superhero comic, he eventually has characters disparage the idea of wearing costumes or make some smart aleck remark about them." try reading some of those works.  

I've heard plenty of people who've read just about everything Morrison's written say the same thing I'm saying about the costumes before I started to say it myself, so it doesn't matter if I've read all his stuff or not. I've read enough to know they're right, and I wouldn't be saying it if all my knowledge were second-hand. Go buy a clue.

What have you read? Batman and New X-Men?  Try Flex Mentallo, Animal Man, Flash,  JLA, DC One Million.. the man does love comicbooks and superheroes. 

Never had any desire to read Flex Mentallo or Animal Man, because I never had any interest in either of those series in the first place.

You may be getting him confused with Warren Ellis or something, who has said repeatedly that he does harbor disdain for them.  

No, I'm not. There's a HUGE difference between Ellis and Morrison: Morrison should just keep his opinions to himself and leave out the commentary - and write the characters correctly. Ellis shouldn't be writing superhero comics at all.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 24 March 2008 at 5:49am

Mason Meomartini
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2008 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 8  

Is there even anyone left who can write superheroes in a way faithful to their characterizations?  Who can write them without hating the concept and the genre?  Without mocking the costumes in- and out-of-story? 

And I mean of the new generation of writers who are actually working on a regular basis for Marvel and DC.  I know Roger Stern, Roy Thomas, Walt Simonson, and John Ostrander are still there sometimes.

Was there ever a time when Marvel and DC superheroes were always written faithfully, and with more respect, in a manner appropriate to children and adults, for an extended period of time?  Without exception?  I always have this impression that this was the case from the inception of superheroes in the '30s to maybe the early '80s or late '70s.  Were there ever times when their characters deviated from the creator's intent prior to this modern era?

Do you all think that it might be generations before we see the cynical, adult treatment of the characters vanish from the genre?  I don't see how we could get writers with the mentality of someone such as John Byrne or Stan Lee in this day and age.   Are things just too mean-spirited and sarcastic in our times to produce that innocent quality superheroes used to have?  (I realize I'm simplifying the general characteristics that make up our society.  It's not a 100% accurate description of everyone in the current generations of fans, of course.)

Peter Svensson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2008 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 9  

Grant, of the current generation of writers you have Gail Simone, Dan Slott, Dwayne McDuffie, Paul Dini, Pete Tomasi and a few others. There are still good writers in the biz. Just need to find them.

Avi Bastermagian
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2008 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 10  

Brian, I'm not going to try to convince you to like or even try Morrison's stuff. I will say that using terms like "Bullshit" and "Go buy a clue." makes you sound sophomoric, which I don't think you deserve.  I realize that this may sound like I'm baiting you, but I am truly not trying to.  In the future please try to present your arguments in as adult manner, there is no reason to be so aggressive.  We all enjoy a fairly ghettoized form of pop culture, we shouldn't gnashing our teeth at each other, there just doesn't need to be such animosity.

"I call world class bullshit on this, because why would even have a character WHO HAS BEEN WEARING COSTUMES FOR YEARS do so in the first place if you didn't feel that way? I can understand it when a character makes fun of a new costume design that sucks, but not costumes in general. And New X-Men isn't the only time he's had characters do that." 
I can see where you would think this, but haven't you worn things in the past that you would no longer wear currently?  Also, I believe Beast said this, and to be fair, that character's costume consisted of black/blue briefs for long stretches of his career.  When he wasn't covered in fur from head to toe he wore what was basically a school uniform. I could see his character not being into costumes as much as say, The Angel.  Please share with me the other characters that have expressed those sentiments.

I've heard plenty of people who've read just about everything Morrison's written say the same thing I'm saying about the costumes before I started to say it myself, so it doesn't matter if I've read all his stuff or not. I've read enough to know they're right, and I wouldn't be saying it if all my knowledge were second-hand. Go buy a clue. -  Aside from two pages in an X-Men run what other instances support your argument?  I've read a lot of Morrison, and the comments from Beast and  Jean Grey are the only ones that come to mind.  Really, if you can give me some examples maybe I'll reconsider my stance.

No, I'm not. There's a HUGE difference between Ellis and Morrison: Morrison should just keep his opinions to himself and leave out the commentary - and write the characters correctly. Ellis shouldn't be writing superhero comics at all. - I like and agree with your dig on Ellis, but I think writer's should express their views on the characters they write,otherwise we get a bunch of cookie cutter characters, like the SIlver Age JLA where the only major difference between Aquaman, Superman and Green Lantern were costumes and hair color.  Sure maybe sometimes those views and their takes on characters can be off, but at least it's interesting.  These characters are too strong to be destroyed by a couple of sub par takes on them.

Also, I don't agree with the first JLA run being derivative of an FF story.  After all, having the day saved by a non or lesser powered character is a fairly broad story concept dating back to Greek Mythology.  

Edited by Avi Bastermagian on 24 March 2008 at 6:55pm

Tom Aquin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2008 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 11  

Excalibur, Iron Man, Planetary, The Authority and others makes me glad that Ellis do work with superhero comics.

Avi Bastermagian
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2008 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 12  

Nextwave is good, but I think it's because of Ellis' distaste for superheroes.

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version