Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: Popular current writers that you just don’t get (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2008 at 2:41am | IP Logged | 1  

Grant Morrison does not hate superheroes or superhero costumes.. he celebrates them in his work.  The first story arc in JLA is one of the best stories the iconic 'magnificent seven' team has ever had, his X-Men streamlined a rambling convoluted plot lines into a coherent book that was true to its core concept and his All Star Superman is a refreshing post modern take on silver age paradigms.  The only problem I have with Morrison is that often times his stories start strong but meander due to an influx of too many ideas.  I tell you, when the problem is that the writer is being too inventive.. well, that's a problem I don't mind having.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2008 at 2:51am | IP Logged | 2  

Grant Morrison does not hate superheroes or superhero costumes.. he celebrates them in his work. 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bullshit. In almost every run he's done on a superhero comic, he eventually has characters disparage the idea of wearing costumes or make some smart aleck remark about them. a. Why would he do that if he liked superheroes? b. Why would some of the characters he has had do that, when they've worn costumes for years? (The incident involving Beast and someone else I can't remember at the moment during his X-Men run comes to mind)

When he eventually gets around to having Alfred or Batman or Robin make a remark about costumes like that, I hope Morrison gets yanked off the book soon after.

I haven't read any of his JLA run at all, but I've seen several pages from it and All-Star Superman, and I didn't care for his run on X-Men - Frank Quitely's awful artwork aside.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Troy Nunis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2008 at 4:29am | IP Logged | 3  

>>The first story arc in JLA is one of the best stories the iconic 'magnificent seven' team has ever had<<

The First story arc in JLA is One of the best stories the iconic Fantastic Four ever had, which Morrison appropriated to tell a story where all the superheroes get beaten down and the one non-powered character saves the day.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2008 at 4:38am | IP Logged | 4  

>>The first story arc in JLA is one of the best stories the iconic 'magnificent seven' team has ever had<<

The First story arc in JLA is One of the best stories the iconic Fantastic Four ever had, which Morrison appropriated to tell a story where all the superheroes get beaten down and the one non-powered character saves the day.

++++++++++++++++++++

Please tell me he didn't rip off "And The Blind Shall Lead Them"?!

Michael Edwards
Byrne Robotics Member
Wish Granted

Posted: 23 March 2008 at 5:38am | IP Logged | 5  

Gerry I recall from everything I have read of Morrison which includes not only his work, but his interviews that he down right hates super heroes.  Its like he this detached interest in them -- a case of bad salesman syndrome.  Where he doesn't care for the product, but he still tries to sell it anyways.  When he spoke of compressing Batman's history into 15 years (which still wouldn't make any sense at all.) and slammed Frank Miller for supposedly ruining Batman -- his comments came off as dry and lacking any passion behind them.  I think he was just saying all that crap because a lot of Silver Age fans didn't like what Miller did and a lot of them wish for a return of the older style of stories.  Which I think the Silver Age fans are nuts because Frank was taking Batman back to his roots and removing the horrid 60's campiness from the comics.  Batman doesn't belong in the sci-fi genre IMHO.  He's a pulp hero like Daredevil, Sherlock Holmes, etc,.

Michael Edwards
Byrne Robotics Member
Wish Granted

Posted: 23 March 2008 at 5:42am | IP Logged | 6  

Brian, I think you are thinking of the opening arc of Morrison's New X-Men run where both Beast and I believe it was Xavier slammed the costumes and praised their leather bondage uniforms.  To this day I don't get how those bondage attire was in any way superior to what the X-Men previously wore.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2008 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 7  

Brian, I think you are thinking of the opening arc of Morrison's New X-Men run where both Beast and I believe it was Xavier slammed the costumes and praised their leather bondage uniforms.  To this day I don't get how those bondage attire was in any way superior to what the X-Men previously wore.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yep. That's it. And those leather outfits were absolutely horrible.

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2008 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 8  

michael, i dont think ive ever read Grant saying anything like that, or heard him say anything like that in person. quite the opposite in fact

Edited by Gerry Turnbull on 23 March 2008 at 6:50am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2008 at 6:56am | IP Logged | 9  

Grant on Superman

"devoting a little of that to writing Superman comics is sheer delight, as far as I'm concerned. I've waited for this chance all my life and I feel I owe Superman as much thought and effort as anything else I'm doing. I'm taking this assignment very seriously. I want to give Superman the power, dignity and relevance he deserves and I see it as a way of paying back the DC universe for all the pleasure it's given me over the years, as a fan and a creator.

I don't think we need to 'make' Superman relevant. We just have to tell stories which resonate with human experience. The best Superman stories are fables about love, pride, shame, fear, death, friendship etc. We can all relate to those big issues. Superman stories should represent huge, basic human dramas and human emotions, played out on a larger than life canvas.

http://www.newsarama.com/DC/AS/AllStarSuperman_Morrison.htm

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2008 at 6:57am | IP Logged | 10  

whether or not he succeeds is a matter of opinion(and sales), but theres no sign of hatred there

Michael Edwards
Byrne Robotics Member
Wish Granted

Posted: 23 March 2008 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 11  

The thing is you picked the one character he seems to actually care about. The one character who he claims is our closest answer to Jesus, which I don't agree with at all. Superman is supposed to be man who contends with his powers and the great responsibility that come with them. Not act like Jesus and lord over people like this all-knowing, all benevolent figure.

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2008 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 12  

what he says about jesus

NRAMA: Well, let’s hit that angle – the mythology of Superman. You’ve alluded to it before - is Superman a Christ-like figure for the mythology of the 21st century?

GM: In the sense that he inspires us towards our best, yes.

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version