Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: Popular current writers that you just don’t get (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2008 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 1  

With a rare exception or two... Bendis, Ellis, Loeb, Millar, Moore, Morrison, Straczynski, and Winick
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Edwards
Byrne Robotics Member
Wish Granted

Posted: 22 March 2008 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 2  

Grant Morrisson is someone whose work I like but I'm not incredibly enthused about.

Though that can probably be attributed to his fans and Wizard Magazine, he delivers a pretty good story and they all jump up and down like it's the second coming and all I can say is that it was pretty good or even really good.

Seven Soldiers of Victory was really good but essentially it boiled down to big evil guys and we need seven unlikely heroes to save the world. Not sure what was groundbreaking about that.

It's kind of odd but it isn't like Alan Moore fans who can often be really stuck up and snobbish, more like Morrison's fans just have incredible enthusiasm for his work and don't understand why others might not be as enthused.

It's almost like Millar for me, I really enjoy a lot of Millar's work but he comes across in interviews as a bit of a wank and at times it makes me eye his work a little skeptically. Instead of hoping the work is good, or expecting the work to be good I'm thinking the work had better be good to justify his statements.

---- 

If I recall correctly Morrison does hate Super Heroes almost as much if not more than Alan Moore and Garth Ennis do. What irks me so much about him and especially his fan-base is that they swear up and down that Morrison has done the characters justice and kept them in character where every writer has failed before. Which, if you closely scrutinize Morrison's work none of the characters act like they did previously to his involvement. What is even worse is Morrison's fans claim that JB is the first and only deconstructionist that destroys characters and franchises when Morrison is the one who goes around causing such destruction. He's already ruined Batman and made him into a joke. Now, Idioto is letting him be in charge of Final Crisis so he can damage and perhaps destroy the DC Universe permanently.

Back to Top profile | search

Darrell Hempel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2008 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 3  

" . . . claim that JB is the first and only deconstructionist that destroys characters and franchises . . ."

Say WHAT?! 

Seriously - that's one I hadn't heard. I am literally shaking my head right now thinking about how ridiculous that statement is.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2008 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 4  

Thanks David.  I guess that displays one perspective of its appeal.

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2008 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 5  

Michael, you wrote, "if i recall correctly Morrison does hate superheroes "

if you recall what correctly?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2008 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 6  

Paulo you wrote "  want to say Grant Morrison, Mark Millar (and others) but I haven't read enough of their work, nor am I likely to do so. . . Oh yeah, I want to say Bendis too but I haven't really read anything of his either."

why, or how can you not get a writer when you havent read any of their stuff?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2008 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 7  

If I recall correctly Morrison does hate Super Heroes almost as much if not
more than Alan Moore and Garth Ennis do.

---

I've never had that impression. It's seems to be quite the opposite. He seems
overly in love with Silver Age DC, especially the Gardner Fox Justice League,
the Weisinger Superman, and the 50's era Batman. People may not like what
he does with the characters, but I wouldn't attribute that to Morrison's
hatred of them. He just has weird ideas.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2008 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
why, or how can you not get a writer when you havent read any of their stuff?

Based on what I've heard and the small sample (smaller, in case of Morrison) I've read of these authors.  That's why I say "I want to say" instead of actually saying it.  In other words, I'm withholding assessment of them.

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2008 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 9  

<<What irks me so much about him and especially his fan-base is that they swear up and down that Morrison has done the characters justice and kept them in character where every writer has failed before. Which, if you closely scrutinize Morrison's work none of the characters act like they did previously to his involvement. >>

This I mostly experienced with X Men.  Endless back and forth of these people are acting in character versus they are not.  But characterization can be subjective as well.  We all don't see them the same way. 

From what I've read, I agree with Michael.  My impression is that he loves Silver Age DC.  Much as I disliked his X Men, I didn't attribute it to a hatred of superheroes. 

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2008 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 10  

Morrison might not hate superheroes but he has hinted at hating or being embarrassed by their costumes.  He also suggested making X-MEN a sci-fi book as opposed to a superhero book.

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2008 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 11  

I do agree that he seemed not to like the costumes, at least with the X Men.  I don't think he should have channeled those feelings through Logan, either.  Not considering Logan's history of wearing one.  But he's also written plenty of other characters and kept them in the costumes.

Believe me, I am not here to defend Grant Morrison.
I think his Superman book is pretty good, but he's not going to do anything to make up for the bad taste his
X Men left in my mouth. 

Troy Nunis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2008 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 12  

I have taken to describing Morrison's so called "love" of Silver Age Superheroes as being akin to the love a juvenile delinquent has for the fly he pulls the wings off of.  He finds them perposterious things for him to play with, nothing to respect or revere.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version