Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: Popular current writers that you just don’t get (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2008 at 5:57pm | IP Logged | 1  

OK, the artist topic stirred up some interesting debate so here's the obvious other thread. Which writer's popularity make you get "meh"?

My main one is Jeph Loeb. The only story of his I can ever remember thinking was quite good was Daredevil:Yellow and even that was mostly enjoyable thanks to Tim Sale's artwork I think. Most of his work seems to be that sort of lowest common denominator/high concept sort of writing. "I know, a Hulk's that red whose identity is a mystery". Meh. i really don't get his popularity. Why did Marvel coax him away from DC? What amazing stuff did he do there?

I expect a few people will say Bendis but I think he does write well in certain arenas - his Alias and Daredevil were excellent; his Avengers is mostly a car crash.

Edited by Leigh DJ Hunt on 19 March 2008 at 5:58pm
Back to Top profile | search

Ron Sluyter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2008 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 2  

I really enjoyed Leob on the Batman "Hush" storyline.  However, Ultimates 3 may be the worst thing ever written.  I think he is trying to out do All Star Batman and Robin, in terms of going over the top. 

When I got back into comics (2002 or so), I bought everything by Bendis including Powers, Alias, Ultimate Spiderman, Daredevil.  I still like Ultimate Spiderman, but the Avengers Dissassembled started to break me and the New Avengers made me drop most things Marvel after a few issues. 

JMS comes to mind, he is fine when doing things like Rising Stars and Squadron Supreme, but keep him away from long established characters.  His work on Spiderman is best described as unforgivable. 

If Joe Q is considered popular add him to the list.   

Bruce Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2008 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 3  

I liked Loeb's work on "Batman: The Long Halloween" a great deal.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Troy Nunis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2008 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 4  

heh heh  . . hah . . um . . how much bandwidth do we have to spare on THIS one . .

actually, forgoing the obvious self-loathing super-hero hating sound-of-their-own-dialoge loving dour british and british wanna be's  . . i'll go with Keith Giffen -- i can't see why anyone can tollerate, much less LOVE a writer who's every work says over and over "Comics are Stupid, and you're stupid for reading them"

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2008 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 5  

Lemme say something about Jeph Loeb!
He wrote a back-up story recently for Wolverine (50?)
W. has a trippy flashback or something and walks away saying
"I hate Canada."
It's like Captain America saying "I hate America."

Loeb doesn't get certain characters and should stay away from them.
Marvel was so happy to steal him away from DC that I'm sure
they told him "Write ANY character you want sir, even if it's crap!"
Marvel!!!

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 19 March 2008 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 6  

Warren Ellis & Garth Ennis

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 19 March 2008 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 7  

I liked Loeb's work on "Batman: The Long Halloween" a great deal.

Me too!  And I don't normally read DC!  I picked up "Halloween" because the "mini-comic" in my Batman Begins DVD only had part of the story.  I had to find out what happened. Tim Sale's artwork was very different for my realistic tastes.  Nevertheless I enjoyed it immensely.  I think it really fit the "mood" of the story !

Back to Jeph Loeb, I also enjoyed his recent work on Fallen Son.  From what I read, this was an opportunity for JL to express some of his emotions re: his son's passing.  I think Fallen Son was tastefully done.  Interesting "application" of Elizabeth Kubler's Ross' paradigm on grief !

I stopped reading Ultimates after Millar/Hitch left, not because Loeb came on board.  I like Millar a lot.  Ultimates and Civil War were enjoyable. I confess however, that I do not enjoy Ultimate Fantastic Four.  I read it for an entire two years (long after Millar left).  It wasn't the writing.  It was that I just can't get my head around a "teen-age" FF !

Edited by Dan Walsh on 19 March 2008 at 6:31pm

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 19 March 2008 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 8  

Oh and Alan Moore too.  I read V for Vendetta in a book store.  Later I saw the movie. Neither did anything for me.  I have absolutely no desire to read Watchmen, even if it is supposedly one of the greatest comics of our time. As Kang the Conqueror would say, "FEH" !

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2008 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 9  

Watchman was good, but I think only in the context that it came out. I don't think it holds up well. 

I think Mark Millar is the currently the apparently popular, industry-coddled "genius" that I just don't get.  I think he's sort of the comic industry version of the anti-christ personally. 

At least when Alan Moore deconstructed superheroes he had the tact/skill/class to do it in a way that didn't make you want to wretch.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2008 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 10  

It's not that I "don't get" Loeb. It's that I loathe his writing.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2008 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 11  

Mr. Shock Treatment himself.

Steve Swanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2008 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 12  

Peter David.

Often I think he writes a character to please himself and tell his story rather than serve the character. Always liked Hulk but as Peter David progressed on the title I felt it got further and further from the concept and Hulk, while getting more explained, got less interesting.

Aquaman was okay but I was picking up comics sporadically at the time and I didn't get every issue. Then the 25th issue came out and it was supposed to be the culmination of the 'Big Plot' that had been going on for the first two years and I blinked in confusion because I had no idea there even was a 'Big Plot'.

Though my dislike might come from interviews I've read with him, not the normal; 'I'm a big nob', stuff he might say but that bizarre way of looking at things. Like on the Hulk, the sales are going down, the character has potential to go up, he's shocked that anyone would dare take him off the character. Or on Captain Marvel where he said that when the sales weren't great he looked at himself and asked what he could do to raise the sales. I read that and started swearing a bit, isn't that part of your job as a writer or an artist? Raise the sales? Serve the character? Make money for the company? Or at the very least TRY to do that?

Not saying you have to sell your soul but using someone else's character to tell your stories and then saying your stories should take precedence over the character's basic concept just annoys me.

Yes, his dialogue work is good, and his thought processes are usually interesting enough, but I find his plots are average and even when I didn't dislike his work I found myself caring less and less about his work the longer I read it.

Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version