Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB--Spider-Man (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 1  

Wondering...are there other examples of where drawing the pattern on someones costume 'wrong' make it 'work better'?

Personally, I find this ABSOLUTELY FASCINATING..that anyone would purposely draw the pattern on two arms or legs differently.
 I consider myself very much still a student ofthis stuff..so..I'm very interested in teh logic behind it.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 5:37pm | IP Logged | 2  

The logic is that the webbing, if drawn consistently (as on the cover of AF15), can look puffy.  Romita found that if he followed his own rule that he avoided this. 

It also gives added sense of depth and form-- adding shape while avoiding puffyness. 

It is the key change that distinguished Romita's Spider-Man from what had come before. 

If you are really fascinated, then look at Romita's earliest Spider-Man stuff and see how he developed this rule.  It didn't come all at a once.
Back to Top profile | search

Dan Avenell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 5:40pm | IP Logged | 3  

Don't know if it's 'wrong' but I noticed JB liked to draw the Human Torch's flame-trail so that one side has flames flickering one-way, and the other the opposite. Could never figure out a logical reason other than it looks better,

Just checked. That's the way Kirby did it.

Also, I like my Torch with little black lines. For a similar selling-the-foreshortening reason, and because it looks cooler. These days he's done too 'realistic.'
Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Sadowski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 4  

Well, again..I just dont see the difference in direction as making it look 'puffy' or not.

BUT, seeing as I'm drawing Spider-Man currently for my latest thing..I'm gonna TRY it. Just to see what it does in my head..I'm game..willing to try anything a few times!

It goes completely counter to my natural artistic  instincts, but hey..lets see , right?

Steve Horton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 6:19pm | IP Logged | 5  

Would be neat to get a few more current Spider-Man artists in here for their thoughts! There's a bunch of 'em at the moment.

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 6  

I still want Ditko.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 10:04pm | IP Logged | 7  

John Byrne wrote:
Not a fan of the black costume.

Neither am I.  Hate the webshooters on the back of his hands and more so it never looked evocative of a spider to me.  The original is a classic and for my money can't be improved upon.

++++++++++

I do like the black costume, but I think the original is the best superhero costume ever.

Also, the web-shooters on the back of his hands thing was fixed after Spider-Man began wearing a cloth version of the alien suit (with his usual web-shooters under the gloves).

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2008 at 2:50am | IP Logged | 8  

Stephen, with all due respect...why do you care how JB drew the costume if you do it a different way?  S'long as your editor is cool with your interpretation, isn't that all that matters?

Just seems like you're going out of your way to poke the bear, so to speak.

Stephen Sadowski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2008 at 3:29am | IP Logged | 9  

Weird how people perceive things...

A way of suggesting how to draw something..A 'rule', even..was put forth .

I dont understand the reasoning behind it. Some people seem to think  one way has an effect on the drawing that I dont see. I still think it makes the drawing look 'wrong', and adds nothing to the figurework.

Why is this hard to comprehend..? I dont 'care' how JB does it. I'm gonna do it MY way..cuz it works for ME. My editor certainly didnt  hand me a rule book for drawing these characters, so certainly Artistic interpretation comes into it.

What I was 'debating', if you will..was the REASONING behind it. When THAT was offered by a few people..I simply disagree with it. I maintain, its a very interesting concept.

Its really not complicated.

If posters here see ANY form of disagreement with the host as  'poking the bear', then thats the real shame.

Edited by Stephen Sadowski on 12 March 2008 at 3:31am

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2008 at 3:39am | IP Logged | 10  

Stephen Sadowsky wrote:
BUT, seeing as I'm drawing Spider-Man currently for my latest thing..I'm gonna TRY it. Just to see what it does in my head..I'm game..willing to try anything a few times!

It goes completely counter to my natural artistic  instincts, but hey..lets see , right?

same person wrote:
I dont 'care' how JB does it. I'm gonna do it MY way..cuz it works for ME.

If you think I'm someone who cannot disagree with John, then obviously my reputation has not preceded me...

...that notwithstanding, I think either you're contradicting yourself or I need a remedial course in English, 'cause it sure sounds like you're saying two entirely different things and hiding behind a "Who, me?" expression when called on it. 

Stephen Sadowski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2008 at 3:47am | IP Logged | 11  

No contradiction, Glenn. I really am going to try it..I think its a neat experiment!

Ultimately, it comes down to what I think is best, though..and I doubt it will change..but it could!!
 As I said, I like to try new methods. But this just looks 'wrong'  to me. To others, not.

Steve Lieber
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2008 at 4:05am | IP Logged | 12  

I just stared at pictures of Spider-man for about eight minutes straight and I finally saw the difference scallop-direction makes. I swear it was like one of those magic-eye pictures at the mall. I feel like I need to go back and correct every con sketch I ever did.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version