Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Death ’N’ Comics (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2008 at 8:57pm | IP Logged | 1  

Chad, I agree with you about Barry Allen, and was abotu to make the same remark about the Green Lanterns. Surely the DCU is a big enough place that Jay Garrick, Barry Allen and Wally West can run around without tripping over each other's feet. As one of the best, if not the best, generational hero names in comics, Flash line deserves to be restored unmarred by the missing Barry Allen. And Bart Allen too, but in the younger Kid Flash role that he filled so well.
Back to Top profile | search

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2008 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 2  

Should stay dead and never come back

Jor-el
Thomas Wayne(i think that's Bruce's father)
Norman Osbourne
Professor Zoom
Boston Brand
Hal Jordan

Should never have been killed
Iron Fist
Colossus
The question
Odin
Hawkeye
Nomad

Ron Sluyter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2008 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 3  

Barry Allen could be brought back so easily.  The Flash was the first comic I ever collected in the Carmine Infantino days and I was shocked he was killed.  Boring character my arse.  Wally West is okay as the Flash, but the current Flash comic is unreadable. 

Bringing back Jason Todd came off as incredibly stupid.  I was embarrassed for the writer. 

What ever happened to using What If or Elseworlds as a place for character deaths. 

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 10 March 2008 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 4  

Someone up-thread said Galactus was killed off? When did this happen? I have been out of reading new Marvel stuff for a while, but Galactus is one of my favorites. I cannot imagine killing off this character.

Matthew -

Galactus is alive and well !  For the latest, read Giffen's Annihilation #1-6 !

Notes:

1. Captain Mar- Vell should have stayed dead.  I just re-read that story tonight.  Every time I do, I get very emotional.

2. Mockingbird should never have been killed.  I hate Mephisto with a passion, if any character should be killed and stay dead, it's him !

3. Steve Rogers should never have been killed.  However I am still wondering if the "Steve Rogers" who died was a "clone" from out of time via Arnim Zola's science and Dr. Doom's time machine.

4. Bucky --> Winter Soldier is awesome!  I would prefer him to remain as the Winter Soldier and not be the new Captain America!

5. Adam Warlock, although it appears as if he has died several times, he hasn't!  He's either been in his soul gem or in his cocoon.  I don't think he has ever really "died" (except maybe in Hulk 176-178) because He exists outside and apart from all realities.  This is probably the only character I am okay with re: dying and returning !

Edited by Dan Walsh on 11 March 2008 at 7:10am

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 10 March 2008 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 5  

On the subject of "death in comics" this is a great Colan cover!  For the full story, read issues #10-13 !

Edited by Dan Walsh on 10 March 2008 at 10:10pm

Kevin Pierce
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 6  

Seems to me that the death of a Hero is being used more today as a cheap gimmick to boast the sales of comics, as stated earlier characters are getting killed every week  DC and Marvel are knocking off characters like mad and it there is just no rhyme or reason for it . Even the death of Superboy is not for sure, Geoff Johns hinted that he will be in upcoming issues of his comics.

For me Barry Allen will always be The Flash, Wally West was never a better Flash he just had a better writer, it’s more of a contest of Carey Bates VS Geoff Johns.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 7  

Yeah Jean "died" in between 281 and 282 but so did the White Queen (again)! AH! What have you got to say to that?

Kevin Pierce
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 8  

So how did they finally kill Jean off this time, is she really supposed to be dead this time around?

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 9  

She got killed, must have been about  4 1/2 years ago now, in Grant Morrison's New X Men.  Magneto/Xorn killed her. 

Year or two later, there was a limited series called Phoenix Endsong.  Jean was resurrected there, sort of.  It's kind of complicated because of the take on what Jean is relative to Phoenix.  Jean isn't complete at the end of that series and leaves to find her missing pieces.    IIRC, she went back to the White Hot Room at the end of that series.  That was something that Morrison had established in his last storyarc.

I don't think she's dead, as in for good.  Phoenix is a built in resurrection device.  I don't know why exactly she's still gone.  Maybe they're trying to figure out what they should do with her.  Maybe they think her return might complicate the Scott/Emma pukefest.
I'd say the word is when, though.  When she'll be back, not if.

I was thinking she'd be back to tie in with X3, but when it killed her, maybe they felt no need.

Peter Svensson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 10  

When the character is named Phoenix, complaining that she keeps coming back from the dead is a bit hollow.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Kingsley Kingsley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 11  

Chad: Good news for you; have you heard the rumor that

Geoff Johns and Ethan Van Sciver - the creative team behind Green Lantern Rebirth - are currently at work on Barry Allen: Rebirth?

Like I said, Wally is THE Flash to me, but if someone can craft interesting stories about any speedster, I suppose it could change my mind. And I loved the way Cooke wrote him in New Frontier, that was the only time that I ever "got" the character.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 12  

I will forever be haunted by the notion that Darwyn Cooke was at one time hot to have written and drawn a Flash comic.

Geoff Johns...I hate the guy's overall sensibilities (INFINITE CRISIS involvement means a special circle in Hell), but I dug the hell out of his Hawkman stuff (albeit with James Robinson), and his Green Lantern has apparently been great.

Bringing back Barry won't solve anything though. As good old Dan Dideo says, "There will be more death." He's the Daniel Plainview of comics.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version