Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 24 Next >>
Topic: Cartoony or Realism (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2008 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 1  

I like Zeck's emphasis on character expressions.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Russ
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2008 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 2  

Not only would we never get tired of it (and some comics are this way), but
each read would be a brand new and positive experience every time !

Dan Walsh -

I feel this way about those John Byrne FF covers you posted. No matter now
many times I read them, they always have the an impact!

Edited by Eric Russ on 16 March 2008 at 8:51pm

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2008 at 11:36pm | IP Logged | 3  

As others have pointed out, I also think the super-hero genre needs the perfect balance of cartoony realism. You have some otherwise exceptional artists working in the field today who simply lack the unique approach that, at least to me, makes super-hero stories work visually. As much as I like hardcore sci-fi and anime art with other genre's, it just doesn't work for me when it comes to super hero comics.

Even a paragon of realism like the great Neal Adams has just the right touch of cartoony looseness in his art that makes it work-and work very well--in the superhero genre.

My list of the best "super-hero" artists would be (to illustrate my preference on "balance"):

1. John Byrne
2. Neal Adams
3. Jack Kirby
4. John Buscema
5. George Perez
6. Alan Davis
7. John Romita
8. John Romita JR.
9. Sal Buscema
10. Jim Lee

I simply enjoy the way these greats draw the super-heroic form better than other artists. They just get it right.

Steve Ditko is one of my all-time favorite creators (in a greater sense) but outside of his brilliant work on Spider-Man and Dr. Strange, I haven't always enjoyed his pencils and figures. Same can be said for other greats like Steranko and Trimpe.

CJ Grebb
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2008 at 5:04am | IP Logged | 4  

JRJr and Alan Davis are WAAAY low on that list for my tastes, but, otherwise pretty good!

Guests
Byrne Robotics Visitor

Posted: 17 March 2008 at 7:43am | IP Logged | 5  

Eric -

Thanks for sharing the Mike Zeck shots.  I enjoyed his stuff on Captain America (with Deathlok) and the Marvel Superheroes Secret Wars !  Also issue #100 & 101 of MOKF are very cool!  Always love the "montage" (if that's the write word) with faces !  Ditko and Colan and Starlin used that a lot, as I am sure others did too.  Leonardo's "Cloak" has just the right amount of mystery and foreboding.

BTW: I haven't been able to spend a lot of time reading through the "What's in your sketchbook" thread here at JBF.  Have you posted your own stuff there?

Edited by Dan Walsh on 17 March 2008 at 7:44am

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2008 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 6  

That's Rick Leonardi. He's one of my all time faves. I don't like his recent stuff as much because it seems to me he's kind of adapted his story telling for modern times so he draws alot less establishing shots. His early work is insanely perfect almost like a movie. Leonardi has a terrific eye for perspective. Terry Shoemaker was great at that too.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2008 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 7  

I know this is arrogant to say, but though I really like Mike Zeck's art, I think his comics aren't really as enticing as his pin ups and covers are. His drawings are awesome and I got nothing to complain about but I think his storytelling isn't as strong as his illustration skills. So I don't really like his comics. But I love his artwork still.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2008 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 8  

My problem with Zeck is, basically, the huge chin he gives everybody.  When he took over Captain America, I thought his Bernie was soooo ugly...

I know his technique is perfect and all, but, still...

post 4994

Edited by Flavio Sapha on 17 March 2008 at 9:41am

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2008 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 9  

Rick Leonardi is terrific. 

I remember Wizard had a thing about dissing Cloak and Dagger that totally puzzled me...I always thought C&D were very, very cool, on the strength of his art, natchurally!  

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2008 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 10  

As much as I love looking at comic book art, I can't work out what people are saying. Are these supposed to be good examples of either cartoony or realistic artwork? Coz there seems to be both mixed in together here on the last few pages.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2008 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 11  

QUOTE:
My problem with Zeck is, basically, the huge chin he gives everybody.  When he took over Captain America, I thought his Bernie was soooo ugly...

That's less of a problem for me than the "twiggy" feet he tends to give his characters.  I still generally like his work, though, especially this image--

Adam Carson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2008 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 12  

The LACK of realism is why JB comics are just about the only ones I wil buy now. I cannot stand cartoony looking animie inspired art that has RUINED comic bookd today.

With JB I once read of his work as being described as almost cinematic. ( I think it was in NEXT MEN)...I agree and love his work.

<< Prev Page of 24 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version