Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 157 Next >>
Topic: DC Figurine Collection Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2012 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Ha! For a second I thought it would be cool to make the Metal Men and plate them with the actual metals they are made from.

...forgot about Mercury :P

Back to Top profile | search

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2012 at 3:47am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I don't know which idea is more entertaining to me - owning a lead Lead, or owning a lead Mon-El. I smile whenever I think of either of those things. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2012 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm torn on the Gold figure. One of the key elements to the Metal Men (at least as I remember them) was that they did not magically increase in mass when they stretched or spread, or in any other way changed shape. This rather blobby version of Gold seems to have pulled in a whole lot of extra matter from somewhere!

James Elliott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2012 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I was pondering the same thing as well about Gold's size and the idea that the Metal Men shouldn't be "allowed" to increase their mass beyond their initial condition.  That said, there's nothing to stop them from increasing their volume, so the figurine of Gold as he's shown could work if there were some hollow regions in his interior.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2012 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I was pondering the same thing as well about Gold's size and the idea that the Metal Men shouldn't be "allowed" to increase their mass beyond their initial condition. That said, there's nothing to stop them from increasing their volume, so the figurine of Gold as he's shown could work if there were some hollow regions in his interior.

••

Yeah, but I'll apply the same rule here that I do to storytelling in comicbooks, TV shows and movies: if the reader has to provide elements to make the story work, it is most definitely NOT working.

In the case of these figures, if the purchaser has to build in "backstory" to make the sculpt work. . .

(I find myself thinking of one of the few episodes of DEEP SPACE 9 I watched. Odo is knocked unconscious, and as two guys pick him up to carry him away, one comments that he's "heavier than I expected". NO!! I cried. He should be LIGHTER than you expected! This guy had turned into briefcases that people have carried with no difficulty, or comments on excess weight!)

James Elliott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2012 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Maybe Odo uses Pym particles that allow him to shunt his mass to other dimensions.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2012 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Just had an email from Eaglemoss advertising the DC Chess Collection,Batman,Robin,Catwoman etc versus the Bat-villains.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 February 2012 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

(I find myself thinking of one of the few episodes of DEEP SPACE 9 I watched. Odo is knocked unconscious, and as two guys pick him up to carry him away, one comments that he's "heavier than I expected". NO!! I cried. He should be LIGHTER than you expected! This guy had turned into briefcases that people have carried with no difficulty, or comments on excess weight!)

++

Maybe Odo uses Pym particles that allow him to shunt his mass to other dimensions.

••

Pym particles sprang from what I expect was the same thinking that made Odo surprisingly heavy -- somebody feeling the need to "explain" something that didn't really need to be explained.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2012 at 12:02am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Got Superboy (Conner Kent) and The Spectre today. I like both, but Superboy is bigger than Superman and that's just all kinds of wrong. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 February 2012 at 12:11am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Got Superboy (Conner Kent) and The Spectre today. I like both, but Superboy is bigger than Superman and that's just all kinds of wrong.

••

The Spectre is also a giant -- and somehow I DON'T think it's because the sculptor wanted to suggest his powers at work! The DC figurines seem to have an even bigger problem with scale than do the Marvel ones.

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2012 at 12:59am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The DC figurines seem to have an even bigger problem with scale than do the Marvel ones.

Looking over my collection I've noticed the same thing. You'd think there would be a standard with each collection, not sure why there isn't.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2012 at 2:11am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It's a little disappointing that the scales are so wildly off. When I first started buying these, some of them had magazines advertising additional lead figurines like Roman soldiers, American Civil War sets, and the such. 

I would hope if someone were collecting THOSE sets the scale wouldn't vary as dramatically as the superheroes do! I can only imagine setting up a Gettysburg display with giants General Lee and General Longstreet battling against an army of hobbits under the command of lanky teenager General Meade.

<< Prev Page of 157 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version