Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Wolverine (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2008 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 1  

I always found the "mysterious past" Wolverine to be a far more compelling character than the one that we've got now. I mean, we didn't need to know every detail about him in order to enjoy his stories.

As a joke, I liked to say that Marvel would have had a great thing had they but revealed that Wolverine, once all his memory implants and whatnot were taken away, actually turned out to be a mailman from Ottawa who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. He could've still been a mutant, and his healing factor simply allowed him to carry all his parcels at once, since his back would have been healed by the morning.

But then, I really enjoyed the movie Bronco Billy.
Back to Top profile | search

Todd Douglas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2008 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 2  

A fair enough position.  However, I've since also "met" the earlier Wolverine.  Now, while I agree it's certainly possible that, with the "wrong" one having already made that irreplacable first impression, my experiences with earlier appearances were irreparably colored...at the end of the day, I think that as much of it is due to Wolverine not really being "my kind of character," if you know what I mean.

Gregg Halecki
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2008 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 3  

Basic anatomy?
I guess that is the best reason you can come up with? If you discount some very basic concepts (that I can only assume that you don't see a problem with) with numerous other charachters, I can see you making that point. Things like Angel's wings, Sub-Mariner's wings, Nightcrawler's tail, hands, feet, and I am sure lots of other stuff that isn't coming to me right now.

There are some perfectly reasonable arguements against Wolverine's claws. But if you have to use "human anatomy" as your best arguement then you aren't thinking too hard.

As far as them being practicaly useless, we can talk about that.
Are claws useless for wild or even domesticated animals? I don't think so. And of course even if they were useless (and he has found them to be quite useful), then so what? It is a mutation. There have been plenty of mutants shown in the MU to have some prety useless mutations. There was a guy in Defenders once who was a Mutant who had an extra finger. Real useful there.

Keep trying.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2008 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 4  

QUOTE:
Basic anatomy?  I guess that is the best reason you can come up with? If you discount some very basic concepts (that I can only assume that you don't see a problem with) with numerous other charachters, I can see you making that point. Things like Angel's wings, Sub-Mariner's wings, Nightcrawler's tail, hands, feet, and I am sure lots of other stuff that isn't coming to me right now.

Not even in the same ball park.  The Angel's and Namor's wings and Nightcrawler's tails are simply extra appendages or extended spinal cords, reduced digits, whatever.  Wolverine's bone claws are a complex mechanical system which would require complex mechanical mechanisms, like gears, springs, what have you.  Nature simply doesn't devise such mechanisms (except perhaps on a smaller scale).  Not even in comic books, before Wolverine anyway.

QUOTE:
As far as them being practicaly useless, we can talk about that.
Are claws useless for wild or even domesticated animals? I don't think so.

No, but then they're not made of bone either.  And they're not a foot and a half long (or however long Wolverine's claws are), so they're not liable to break as easily.  Of course, they were shown to break at times, which makes the premise even more ludicrous.

The real shame is that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the implanted claws.  And the revelation of bone claws didn't really add anything to the character.

QUOTE:
And of course even if they were useless (and he has found them to be quite useful), then so what? It is a mutation.

They are useful because the script requires it.  No real thought was put into the decision to reveal Wolverine's claws as natural.  And if it's a useless mutation, what's the point?

QUOTE:
There have been plenty of mutants shown in the MU to have some prety useless mutations. There was a guy in Defenders once who was a Mutant who had an extra finger. Real useful there.

It's a not uncommon condition in the real world, called polydactylism.  What's that got to do with Marvel's golden goose?

QUOTE:
Keep trying.

That's quite alright.  I'm really not that interested in convincing you of the stupidity of Wolverine's bone claws.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2008 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 5  

Recent issues of Wolverine have now reset his healing factor back to how it was years ago. A lot of this sort of thing going on over at Marvel at the moment. Cannot think why.

---

Did it? I thought Guggenheim's arc left his healing factor as is. What it did restore was Wolverine's risk in dying, by stating that his soul might not return to his body even though his body can fully heal. It turned out that each time Wolverine died, his soul had to fight the Angel of Death to return to its body. Having a character that's been portrayed as an atheist deal with souls and angels didn't fit for me.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2008 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 6  

I thought Guggenheim's arc left his healing factor as is. What it did restore was Wolverine's risk in dying, by stating that his soul might not return to his body even though his body can fully heal. It turned out that each time Wolverine died, his soul had to fight the Angel of Death to return to its body. Having a character that's been portrayed as an atheist deal with souls and angels didn't fit for me.

That might just possibly be the worst idea I've ever heard!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2008 at 6:52pm | IP Logged | 7  

And how did it come to be that Logan holds this special place in the cosmos that allow him to fight the angel of death everytime his body sustains such damage? That can't possibly be part of his mutation, can it?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2008 at 9:58pm | IP Logged | 8  

Wolverine's instantaneous healing factor should give him a hell of an appetite.  Where else does all of that mass come from?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Valerie Finnigan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2008 at 10:26pm | IP Logged | 9  

I always guessed Wolverine did most of his eating off panel. 

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2008 at 3:52am | IP Logged | 10  

He is a well known glutton.

Edited by Mike Norris on 28 February 2008 at 3:53am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2008 at 4:33am | IP Logged | 11  

I used to love Wolverine when he was tough but not invincible; moody and irritated; loyal and kind one minute, ferocious the next.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 February 2008 at 4:39am | IP Logged | 12  

There are some perfectly reasonable arguements against Wolverine's claws.
But if you have to use "human anatomy" as your best arguement then you
aren't thinking too hard.

••

Whereas changing "basic anatomy" to "human anatomy" in order to make
your point is the very sole of logical cogitation?

Name an animal -- living, or from the fossil record -- that has "spring
loaded" claws that retract fully into its forelimbs, and you will have an
argument in favor of Wolverine's bone claws as a natural mutation.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version