Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 68 Next >>
Topic: What constitutes a swipe? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2008 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 1  

Good gods, if comic book artists do nothing but copy each other then truly it would be a dead form. And that would be wrong, no ifs or buts about it.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Erik Larsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2008 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 2  

Joe Zhang wrote:

Good gods, if comic book artists do nothing but copy each other then truly
it would be a dead form. And that would be wrong, no ifs or buts about
it.

Nobody's arguing that point.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2008 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 3  

"Swiping may be viewed by some as unethical but it is not illegal."

The same actions, when perpetrated in other art fields, ARE illegal and when touching upon valuable properties, pursued vigorously in the courts. While some swiping may be within the scope of fair use, parody etc  or covered by corporate copyrights and considerations, there are types of swiping that ARE illegal.

The fact that no-one in comics has been willing to spend the money required to pursue legal action for swiping (as in most cases it is hardly cost effective) does not mean that all swiping is legal. Just that most artists in comics who are swiped from choose (for various reasons) not pursue their legal rights.

If comics still sold in the millions, with large sums passing through the hands of publishers and creators, with the actual comics receiving high profile attention (as opposed to merely the "properties" ) there would be a greater likelihood of people being sued for swiping. Greg Land, for instance, known to have swiped directly the cover of Sports Illustrated - if that comic had made a lot of money, the photographer had been entitled to every dime of Land's fee plus a little extra for the blatant copyright infringement.

So, please, don't say that swiping isn't illegal.

Back to Top profile | search

Armindo Macieira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2008 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 4  

Jesus Garcia wrote:
My point was that narrative art is a language of concepts -- like physics -- which progresses forward by building on the work of previous linguists. Sometimes a new artist needs to walk in the shoes of a previous artist to find a personal voice.

True. Like I said, nothing wrong about dedicating your time studying an artist, using him as inspiration. I think every artist can point 3, 4 or 5 other artist which influenced him. That's super.
Problem is when you stop creating and start copying. It's like if Newton grabbed those existing laws (pre-Newton) and said "ok, this all I've got. People live happily with these, why should I formulate new ones...?"

Erik Larsen wrote:
I think it was a case of these guys thinking, "This is what the editors
want--this is what the fans want--I'm going to give them what they
want."

I think it's a mistake to impose your own morals on another person. What
makes sense to you may not have even occurred to them. Swiping may be
viewed by some as unethical but it is not illegal. Marvel owns John Byrne's
Hulk drawings and if another Marvel artist choses to copy those and
Marvel decides to pay for them again--there's no "victim" there.

When it became clear to Todd that the readers felt it was wrong (and
this was pre-internet, remember--it took a while for that message to get
to him)--Todd knocked it off (for the most part). I don't think anybody
had ever sat down with him and given him a "hey, this isn't cool" talk.

First, sorry if I sounded a little harsh. English is my second language and sometimes the message might not pass very clearly

Anyway, my point goes beyond legallity (sp) it's more about morality. I always try to stress that it's only MY opinion, that's why I said that I wouldn't feel comfortable about swiping other artists to please the readers or the editors, just because I feel like  that's cheating. I'm not saying that I'm a better person or even a better artist, just that in this case I wouldn't do that.

Anyway, I'm glad mr. MacFarlane stopped that when confronted with the fact.

Erik Larsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2008 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 5  

Knut Robert Knutsen wrote:
So, please, don't say that swiping isn't
illegal.

Let me rephrase that.

If a Marvel artist swipes a scene from another Marvel comic book--it's
not illegal. Marvel own the John Byrne Hulk art already--if they choose to
pay a second artist to redraw that art and reuse those poses--they can
certainly do that.

Parody is legal.

If an artist redraws the cover of Action Comics #1 and turns Superman
into Spider-Man--that's considered parody and that is legal.

If an artist at Marvel swiped from an artist at DC and it's not parody--it
gets into a gray area. Theoretically, DC could choose to sue Marvel over
it. The fact that DC hasn't gone after Marvel after a multitude of
infractions would certainly be brought to light and the fact that DC artists
have routinely stolen from Marvel artists would be pointed out as well.
While technically not legal--it's not something either party has opted to
pursue.

So--in a sense you're right--but swiping has not been something which
has been enforced with any vigor in the comic book field.

Greg Reeves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2008 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:
Well, remember--not every panel was a swipe. A small portion of the
panels constituted swipes.

I think this is an important point.  Each of those guys probably drew thousands of panels back then; how many have been identified as swipes?  A dozen or so?  I'm no apologist for Liefeld especially (because although I like many others "fell" for his art style in the early days, I quickly saw his style for what it was) but I don't think they deserve outright condemnation for a few examples.  As an artist myself, I'd have liked to see them use the poses of those panels drawn by JB and others and work out another angle or view to them rather than straight tracing, but I think the lesson has been learned and they would be foolish to try it again in any recent work.

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2008 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 7  

I wonder if "swiping" is something that occurs only when money changes hands or when effort is not compensated.

If I were to copy one of JBs commissions (I mean copy by sight not tracing), do it up in ink, then frame it and put on my walls. Would that be swiping? How could the swiping be sanitized?

I would say yes: because it either (a) deprives JB or additional revenue (assuming he would re-do a commission for me) or (b) penalizes the original commissioner who had to foot the bill for both the composition and the actual art. I would have paid nothing for the composition.

In that case, would JB prefer I pay him for a line-per-line re-do and would he charge me for composition and original art or would he charge me only for original art as the effort of composition has already been charged to the first commissioner? Or would it be better that I contact the original commissioner, split the composition fee with him/her?

Now, say I copy a Ditko cover from Spider-Man, frame it, and put it up in a room in my house. Ditko is retired. Even if he weren't, it's not likely he would do a commission since I remember reading somewhere that he produced only material for publishing. So, (a) I'm producing a product that couldn't be produced otherwise and (b) it is costing no one money as the cover is not actually accessible for purchase or redo to me. Either way, no one loses money. Am I swiping?

As Erik says, the whole concept is not crystal clear. The discussion going on in this thread is probably much like the debate that would take place in judicial circles where the principles of intellectual property of original narrative art compositions be cast in stone.

And what about style? Can someone own the Kirby or Adams style?

Edited by Jesus Garcia on 25 February 2008 at 12:53pm

Erik Larsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2008 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 8  

Jesus Garcia wrote:
And what about style? Can someone own the Kirby or
Adams style?

If they can--a lot of people would be in real trouble.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2008 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 9  

I understand the value of swiping from one's influences but I draw the line at doing it in a published piece.  If it's for personal growth or an artistic excercise, I think it's okay.  As a shortcut or cheat to solve a problem, not so much.

While looking for a swipe by Frazetta of Foster, I stumbled across this:

Just found this old issue of the Comics Journal in the basement this morning: #226.

It contains a transcript of a chalktalk given to younger artists at Marvel's offices in '82/'83 by John Buscema. Here's an excerpt:

JB: They tell me"gee, you know, your stuff looks like Jack Kirby." Sure. I swipe it! [Laughter] I swipe everybody that I liked: Alex Raymond, Hal Foster, Burne Hogarth... Everybody! Don't feel like you're cheating! You're not - you're earning a living!

I was surprized, when I first saw it, to see Frazetta "swiping" art since he is somewhat known for his ability to create things out of his head.  Sorry I couldn't find that example. But, as surprized as I was by that, Buscema's quote really threw me.  Reference is one thing, especially when trying to capture all the locales and environments that Big John showed, but to encourage swiping from other artists...by the "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way" artist--it's disheartening.  To me.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2008 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 10  

"So--in a sense you're right--but swiping has not been something which
has been enforced with any vigor in the comic book field."

Yeah. I'd just hate to see someone less ethical come around with the attitude that "Swiping is legal. Even Erik Larsen says so."

And that's why I think creators in the field need to "police" themselves better. Find some "industry standard", a list of rules that people agree to that "this is not acceptable. this is a grey area and this is okay."

If there's a consensus to what is NOT acceptable, it makes it much easier to address an over-reliance on swiping in up and coming artists without them falling back on the argument that the legality or ethics of "Swiping" are subjective.

It's for their own good and for the good of the industry.

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2008 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 11  

"But, as surprized as I was by that, Buscema's quote really threw me.  Reference is one thing, especially when trying to capture all the locales and environments that Big John showed, but to encourage swiping from other artists...by the "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way" artist--it's disheartening.  To me."

Well, for what it's worth Buscema is using the wider application of swiping which includes using the artwork of another artist as reference in the same way you'd use photo reference (which was often referred to as swiping as well.)  In its least intrusive form, "Swiping" is used about looking at specific ways an artist have solved a drawing problem, or if you need to draw a dynamic looking horse and you've never seen a horse in your life you look at how Hal Foster drew horses in Prince Valiant.

(Just don't be as obvious as the very talented and critically acclaimed artist who was asked to submit samples when they were shopping around for Foster's replacement on the art for Prince Valiant, who swiped one of Foster's horses from the Sunday page that was published 3 weeks prior.)

I suppose this is the problem with terminology, because in no way do I think Buscema was advocating stealing whole page layouts outright or tracing entire books. He was much to good an artist for that. So was Wally Wood, who also advocated swiping.

A guy like Buscema was good eough to transform his inspirations into something that was not easily recognizable as a "Swipe". This is what they mean by (what was it?) "Good writers borrow, Great writers steal."

This is why the less technically accomplished an artist is, the easier it is to tell when they're swiping. Which is also why it's the worst time in your career to be caught doing it.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2008 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 12  

Erik Larsen: Parody is legal.

-----------------------

It sure is! Some writer/artists even use it in their own comics to bash other writer/artists...

...and then for some strange reason start posting on this site...??

<< Prev Page of 68 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version