Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 35 Next >>
Topic: Forum Opinion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2008 at 8:55pm | IP Logged | 1  

I'm interested in hearing Castrillo's side of this. Was he aware that he was doing a swipe of an unpaid-for commission?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Huber
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2008 at 8:58pm | IP Logged | 2  

It doesn't look like JB's upset over the refusal. At least thats my take. He has a beautiful piece, still has plenty of financial equity attached to it as it were. I think he's pissed, and rightly so of the underhanded turn of events after the fact. And make no mistake, this was done just to piss JB off, I'd bet my left testicle ( my favorite ).

Not to put any words or actions in JB's mouth, but to really piss off "D.Piddy", I'd make that Capt. Marvel/Mar-Vell piece a raffle prize or something, just to let it twist in Pat's craw that much more.

Back to Top profile | search

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2008 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 3  

All I'm going to say is that commission is great. If I had the money I'd give it a good home.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2008 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 4  

Michael, Pat admitted that he got the MAC commission out of spite but I don't think he said whether or not Anthony knew what the situation was.

David Henriot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2008 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 5  

All I'm going to say is that commission is great. If I had the money I'd give it a good home.

Mine ?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Trevor Giberson
Byrne Robotics Chronology

Posted: 19 February 2008 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 6  

Pat has his say:

QUOTE:
CROSS POST THIS:

Hi - This is Patrick Ditton, the original commissioner of the Mar-Vell/Marvel piece. I can't post a reply here (at the JBF) myself since I was banned this morning from the JBF for not liking the way a Moderator, Paul Greer, was talking to me in a thread about JB Commissions. In my original request email to Jim Warden I specifically asked for the 70s Red/Blue Mar-Vell costume WITH nega-bands. What I got was not what I requested and Byrne only offered to add white paint to the (price deleted) piece to fix it. I declined the piece, respectfully, since Jim Warden said that was Byrne's policy and I was banned a day later from the JBF for telling JB he was rude to me (in a thread discussing Superman's "S"). Out of anger I asked Castrillo, who was doing a couple other commission for me at the time if he could fix the nega-bands issue on the posted Marvels piece. He did this and I posted it on my CAF with an angry comment - since I felt wronged - I had declined an expensive piece that had not been drawn as instructed and been banned, I felt, in retaliation for refusing the piece.

Months later, I emailed Jim Warden to see if the original was still available -- he said it was. I told him I wanted to order a couple other commissions in 2008 AND buy the Marvels piece if the new commissions went well and I had the cash later in '08. I was told that JB said he would do my 2008 commission request but ONLY if I paid for the new commission in full in advance with NO REFUND unless the piece was drawn grossly wrong. I agreed to this complete reversal of John's own policy even as John was posting at his forum how he prides himself on never taking payment before a work is completed and allows the customer to refuse the piece - even as I was agreeing to pay in advance with a no refund policy, John Byrne was telling his future and current customers he never does that "pay in advance thing". Several prominent members of the JBF can attest to this strange reversal of rules as I mentioned it to them as it was going down.

So here I was -- waiting for a tax refund to finance the purchase of TWO, not one, TWO commissions from John Byrne in 2008 and hopefully have the funds later in the year to purchase the Marvels piece (oh, yes, I've discussed that with a couple JBFers in the past, too - I'm not making this up).

So - back to the dupe piece. I was angry and upset that a beautiful piece was not drawn as requested and then the artist who I'm a huge fan of banned me for telling him to stop being rude to me. I was new to the forums, new to commissions, new to CAF, new to everything when this all went down -- and I made a mistake. I actually have the skill to have copied the piece myself -- but I'm also a huge Castrillo fan and I thought it would have been funny to have it done by him. MAC did nothing wrong following the instructions of his customer - I instructed him to add nega-bands.

I made a stupid mistake by posting it at CAF, months ago - it has been removed.

I fully expect this to be deleted from the JBF. Why tell both sides of the story. John Byrne made a mistake on a commission request and banned a paying customer who then acted immaturely and had the piece duped. Since then, I've tried to be a positive contributor to the JBF, I've posted in defense of John's strange policies, organized Byrne-style mini-bust commissions (oh, I've arranged for a FREE bust to be sent to John Byrne by-the-way - the other commissioners paid $230 for theirs -- and there are delays getting them painted so none have been mailed yet), I've bought a couple thousand dollars worth of pages from Jim Warden, I tried to schedule a JBFers meeting at WonderCon and I was really excited about being the only customer of John Byrne's to have to pay in advance for a commission.

I'm such a bad guy.

Edited by Trevor Giberson on 19 February 2008 at 9:23pm

Trevor Giberson

Posted: 19 February 2008 at 9:08pm | IP Logged | 7  

As I said over there, this didn't win me over.

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2008 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 8  

This guy should be banned from the whole internet.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2008 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 9  

Someone needs to get a life, ASAP.

Orlando Teuta Jr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2008 at 9:13pm | IP Logged | 10  

With all due respect to MAC, who seems like a decent guy from his posts, to me it's not the same as owning the original drawn by Byrne.  I can get someone to trace a picture by Perez, but it wouldn't be the same as having a picture drawn by Perez. As a fan, I thought that the reason to purchase a Byrne commission was to have a picture drawn by Byrne

JB, I feel like you did right by the costumer. You delivered your product, he wasn't happy with it and you didn't take his money. For him to feel spiteful about this is just silly.  He should be grateful that you didn't ask for any money up front.

BTW, the time spent on the picture wont go to waste. Once you put it on E-bay, I'm sure you'll get a good price for it.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2008 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 11  

I actually think if it can be done, Pat should be unbanned, told about it, then banned again while he's actually typing up a post.

Bottom line is, he's a dick.

Trevor Giberson

Posted: 19 February 2008 at 9:16pm | IP Logged | 12  

The first thing you should do is to tell Jim Warden to stop dealing with this guy, and then sell the Marvels piece.  But I bet you are way ahead of me on that one.

Edited by Trevor Giberson on 19 February 2008 at 9:16pm

<< Prev Page of 35 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version