Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 35 Next >>
Topic: Forum Opinion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 1  

If such creeps continue to pull this trick on JB he will have to be forced to stop showing us scans of us work. Ditton not just stole from JB, he threatened a privilege that the other commissioners have been giving us.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 2  

If such creeps continue to pull this trick on JB he will have to be forced to stop showing us scans of us work. Ditton not just stole from JB, he threatened a privilege that the other commissioners have been giving us.

The downside to that could be that commission requests drop off to some degree since the commission scans that are posted serve partially as advertising to help draw in new requests.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 3  

I wouldn't go so far as to suggest this might become common practice.  It's only one instance, at least as far as this forum is aware.
Back to Top profile | search

Scott Richards
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 4  

My opinion?

What he did was wrong.  No doubt about it.  I can understand his expecting the nega-bands when they were in the link for the cover shown.  Did he have a right to be upset?  Sure, but his mistake was he reacted poorly and should have allowed JB to "correct" the picture rather than swipe it.

That said, many of the responses I've seen in this thread are no better.  I'd love to meet the saints who live such clean lives that they've never made a mistake or handled a situation poorly in the past.  If I had done what he did and that was the worst thing I'd done in my life, I'd feel pretty lucky since, all things considered, it's pretty minor.  I'm not sure why so many of the responses have seemed to be of the lynch-mob mentality.

Edited by Scott Richards on 20 February 2008 at 9:05am

Scott Nickel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 5  

JB said:

If you think this is a "gray area", remind me never to do business with you!

>>Not to worry; I don't buy commissions.

If, for instance, Joe Rubinstein does a recreation of a cover I penciled and he inked, that's a clearly defined area, and not uncommon.

>>How is that clearly defined? Neither of you holds the rights to the original image, if it was created work-for-hire.

In fact, I have often wondered why those who seek out specific recreations don't go first to the inker, since that would more likely guarantee the line work being the same.

>>They should, perhaps. But is it illegal not to do so?

If a "recreation" is done by someone of a piece of work with which they had no original involvement -- didn't pencil it, didn't ink it -- then this is more of a swipe. But this happens, too, and maybe that area is a little bit gray.

>>Swipe, "homage." people call it by many names.

But, at least, the penciler and inker of the original got paid for their work.

>>I'm not sure I see how this is relevant. Again, neither artist is the copyright holder to the original.

In this case, a piece was commissioned. As is usually the case, I took no money in advance, so, when the piece was declined, I was not paid and, unless the piece is sold at a later date, I am out that much money.

>>So is your issue that the commissioner reneged on a contract? Your stated policy is that the buyer has a right to refuse a piece, yes?

This is work done without recompense, so money lost.

>>You still have the physical artwork, which can be resold -- possibly at a higher rate than originally asked. Again, this would go back to the contract you had with the buyer. If he is not under any obligation to purchase the piece, it might be harder to prove he "reneged" on said agreement.

>>Here’s an interesting question: What would your feelings be if the customer had accepted the work, paid for it, and then had a new version commissioned by another artist?

Now, the individual who has declined the work and not paid me for it, has used the work to get another piece done by a different artist. A cold swipe, save for a few minor details.

>> I agree 100%. But is this not what many artists -- professionals -- do? They "recreate" work that they didn't work on? If that practice is legal -- and that question can only be answered if someone takes the case to court -- is this situation not legal too? It's certainly unsavory, but is it illegal?

This is the equivalent of hiring an architect to design a house for you, refusing to pay for his design, then giving a copy of that design to another architect, who adds a few flourishes of his own and calls it "V.2". I'm pretty sure out in the real world that would probably be illegal.

>>Depends on the contract between the architect and the home buyer. Also, to use your analogy, you'd still have the house you built and could sell it to someone else. (And I hope an architect wouldn’t build a house without getting SOME money up front)

>>To relate this to comics specifically, many pieces are created as "homages" to a particular artist or after a particular piece. How many versions of Kirby's FF #1 have been done? Are these not swipes, too, regardless of whether they say “After Kirby”?

Most certainly it would not be a "gray area".

>>Inking another artist's work for a private collector and not compensating the original artist? That's basically the same situation as this and it happens all the time. Again, illegal or just unsavory?

>>My personal thoughts on this: the buyer’s actions were unethical. But some would argue that making money from other people’s intellectual property without compensating them is unethical too.

Aric Shapiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 6  

I don't anticipate a drop off in commisisons because of this.  The pieces we've seen thus far this year have been fantastic(Atom, Daredevil, 4th World etc)  As long at the art being posted continues to impress, the commisisons will continue.  I've received a few emails about the Atom and Daredevil pices.  A few people are contemplating standards with those characters.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 7  

I can't see where JB was in the wrong here. He's shown the record of the communication he received and that clearly indicates he had license to go with the characterization he preferred. And then he also offered to make a change.

Scott Nickel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 8  

Here we have examples of an artist doing cover recreations of pieces he never worked on.

Gray area? Illegal? Fair game?

http://www.boblayton.com/gallery.htm

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 9  

"I hope the powers that be will allow him to return so that he can apologize properly, and if he does so, I hope he can return to being a meaningful participant here."

Drop it.  Not going to happen.  Twice around was a rarity, and he pissed on it.

A third?  Bwa-hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 10  

"If such creeps continue to pull this trick on JB he will have to be forced to
stop showing us scans of us work. Ditton not just stole from JB, he
threatened a privilege that the other commissioners have been giving us"

A fear I hadn't been willing to put to words. I hope it does not come to this -
that would be a significant loss to all of us.

Aric Shapiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 11  

The JBF without commissions is unthinkable

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 12  

Depends on the contract between the architect and the home buyer. Also, to
use your analogy, you'd still have the house you built and could sell it to
someone else. (And I hope an architect wouldn’t build a house without
getting SOME money up front)

----

Designing a house is not building a house.

<< Prev Page of 35 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version