Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 34 Next >>
Topic: Late Artists? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 1  

<STILL lighting in a bottle and spun gold compared to many of the pros today>

I think the majority of the art in monthly comics today is of very high quality and probably done at the rate of 1 page per day. I don't begrudge any artist or think it's growing roses if an artist wants to draw backgrounds in every panel, spend more time on lighting and anatomy or the overall general design and layout of the page. I don't agree with the "you don't get paid to erase" mentality.
     I'm sure I could be faster if I subscribed to that but as I work I continually self edit to see if there is a way I can improve and do something better. I've spent 1/2 an hour working out the positioning of legs on a flying figure before. I tell students that drawing is like building a house. You need good underlying construction to build the nice finish upon or the work won't hold up.
    Every artist is different and works at different rates of speed period. Just because JB can do 3 pages a day or Joe Kubert has been known to do 6 doesn't mean that everyone can or should. Joe's sons Adam and Andy produce generally one page a day, does that make them less of an artist than their father...not at all.

Andy

Back to Top profile | search

Andy Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 2  

<Well atleast it's a beginning. Now to come up with a better plan is the next step. Instead of taking are away from them how about taking away money from them.>

If pages are taken away from an artist that is taking money from them.

Andy

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 3  

Every piece of commercial art -- ie, a piece of art the artist expects to be paid for -- serves a different master. Michelangelo painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel was serving a different master than Norman Rockwell painting a cover for THE SATURDAY EVENING POST. Rockwell was serving a different master than Jack Kirby penciling the latest issue of FANTASTIC FOUR.

The latter two have more in common with each other, however, than they do with the first. Altho Michelangelo was, in theory, chasing a deadline of sorts, if he missed it (and he did, repeatedly), there was not a cascade of dominoes tumbling as a result. But if Rockwell or Kirby missed their deadlines, all kinds of jobs and people got thrown out of kilter.

Every artist does, one hopes, the best work of which s/he is capable under the circumstance -- but in the case of some artwork, it is the circumstances that have priority. In the case of comicbooks, it is -- or used to be, when comics were professional publications and not glorified fanzines -- the deadline that is master. The artist, the writer, the editor, the letterer, the proofreader, the printer, the shipper -- all have made an implicit promise to deliver the package to a specific location on a specific date. Any one of those slipping up can scuttle the whole thing -- and how often do we hear the shippers saying they delivered late because they wanted to make sure they did the job right?

In comics, I have heard many variations on what is essentially the same philosophy -- "You're not paid to erase." "Close enough for comics." "Get it right the next time." Each one of these acknowledges that the task at hand is to produce the best comicbook possible under the circumstances. And chief among those circumstances is Don't Miss the Deadline. You fuck up a lot of other people if you do.

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 4  

Andy Smith wrote:
"Every artist is different and works at different rates of speed period. Just because JB can do 3 pages a day or Joe Kubert has been known to do 6 doesn't mean that everyone can or should. Joe's sons Adam and Andy produce generally one page a day, does that make them less of an artist than their father...not at all."

Not at all, but if they fall below that production rate, I'd not recommend them for job on a monthly title, even if the resulting work (when it arrived) looked as if made by Michelangelo.

Incidentally, and tying into various kinds of domino effects mentioned by JB, I think one of the really big problems with late delivery in the current climate on the big two, is that so many titles (almost company wide) so much of the time seems tied up with crossover events and nitpicky continuity that a delay on one title may in effect cause delay on several other titles. Basically, to negatives enforcing each other in a very bad fashion... and the effects rippples onwards.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 5  

Yeah, the problem is a many of these new artists are perfectionists and want every panel to be perfect (perhaps a reason for the reduced average number of panels these days?) and too many customer who tolerate or even applaud this behavior.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 6  

<Well atleast it's a beginning. Now to come up with a better plan is the next step. Instead of taking are away from them how about taking away money from them.>

If pages are taken away from an artist that is taking money from them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Andy since i'm not in the way of knowing certain things let me ask. Are most artist paid per page they draw or is it per title ?

I was thinking it was per title.If it's per page then ok pay them only for the work they've done. THe holding back of art can hurt a bit. But of course thats hurt only comes if and when they are able to sell the art.

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 7  

we got into the Biz purely for the love of it

Sigh. The Biz has certainly changed over the years, and not much for the better....

If I was blessed working in comics, I'd repeatedly kiss whoever signed my paycheque and do a dance of joy <lol>.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 8  

How do the artists (and writers, I guess) who don't deliver on time manage to live on their wages... I mean the sum JB cited seemed to be one that I would definitely be able to live off here in Sweden, but if I didn't produce that much and didn't get the trickle in... Well, just a bit confused, I guess.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 9  

eah, the problem is a many of these new artists are perfectionists and
want every panel to be perfect (perhaps a reason for the reduced average
number of panels these days?) and too many customer who tolerate or
even applaud this behavior.

••

Was Jack Kirby not a perfectionist? Is Joe Kubert not a perfectionist? Curt
Swan?

It pisses me off every time this crap is tossed out so casually --
especially by people who should know better. This is "growing roses" in a
different wrapper. And it is a flat out insult to everyone who ever turned
in their work on time. "Oh, this was on time. It must be less than perfect.
Let's go look for someone who is late. He is obviously a perfectionist!"

Bullshit.

Aric Shapiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 10  

I am still shocked by the number of pages someone posted that Joe Kubert can do in a day.  It just seems ....impossible. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 11  

Ari - I think it's one of those things best not to think about. Because inevitably your thoughts will come around to the fact that those are far from only six pages in a day, they are six Joe Kubert pages*, and that's when the swooning madness really begins.

* Apropos of JB's point about perfectionists who could keep a deadline.

Howard Mackie
Byrne Robotics Security
Armed and Dangerous

Posted: 20 February 2008 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 12  

As I read the back and forth on this one I am reminded of the single best piece of advice I ever picked about writing. The quote is "The art of writing is applying the seat of the pants to the seat of the chair."

I wonder how much the "time spent" producing a page or less a DAY is actually spent on the work at hand. I know I am more then capable of doing ANYTHING other than writing--like spenting time on this board. Should this count as my work day? Should sharpening pencils? Especially since I do all my writing on a computer. Time spent on the phone?  The point being that very few artists and writers actually spent a full day(however one defines it) actually working.

I think when you look at guys like Joe Kubert, Jack Kirby, John Buscema, and many of the most prolific artists I have known, yoiu have to take into account that they did not come into the industry as FANS... they were not making big bucks drawing comics... they had families to feed, so they had to get fast. I too do not buy into the perfectionist theory. I have worked with too mnay of those perfectionists, and I can tell you that there first draft of a pages was often as good(sometimes better) then the page they noodled with for a week.

Just my opinion. What do I know?

H

<< Prev Page of 34 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version