I remember being very unimpressed by Planetary #1. Wasn't that the comic
that had the Phantom, Mandrake, Flash Gordon and Tarzan all being called
by different names? How breathtakingly original. No wonder each issue
takes several years to materialize.
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Lee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2008 at 3:37am | IP Logged | 2  

I remember that wait for Camelot 3000 issue 12 to appear. I think it was something like 9 months after the publication of issue 11. After finally getting hold of the long-awaited holy grail, what a let-down it was when it took about 5 minutes to read the bloody thing.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2008 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 3  

Troy wrote:
"I also got Camelot 3000 well after it had already been publish so the 'wait' didn't effect me -- and i'm sure that's the sort of thinking they who forgive lateness go by -- they are in the Trade Paper back bussiness in the first place, so if the (insert snide demonstrative term for indivisual issues here) come out late, the important people wait for the trade won't care -- ignoring the effect on comic retailers, the effect of people giving up on the book completely durring the wait, etc etc --"

Well, being a person who these days is almost exclusively a TPB or HC buyer, I still think the lateness factor is a really bad thing. If you want to put it out as a TPB or HC without publishing it serially first that's a fine option if you don't want to worry about a monthly deadline (though, of course, you'd have to somewhere along in the process, since you couldn't do ALL the work the last weekend anyway), or if you want to sell it as bimonthly, bi-quarterly, quarterly or annually, all of that is fine... but make a schedule you can stick to and do just that.

Also, as can be noted by e.g. the delayed publishing of the Ultimates Book 2, Vol. 2 TPB (the release date was rescheduled quite a few times), the lateness has by now started to seep into the TPB publishing as well. And the question is how long TPB buyers will be ready to wait before they switch over to another title (and/or another company entirely).

More Troy:
"Cataloging Camelot 3000 into my data base, i was horrified by the gaps in publication when i realized how long it took, and as good as it was - i would have given up waiting if i had been buying it as it came out.  Even if something WAS truelly 'Worth the wait' these people should at least have the decency to feel BAD about being late rather than Glorifying it."

And back then, it wasn't really glorified, was it? Though it already happened back then, I have the feeling that the cult of lateness and rosegrowers is nevertheless a fairly new invention. I may be way off on that one, and if so hope to be corrected by JB, Howard Mackie, Glenn Greenberg or somebody else in the business who may know better.

Ron Chevrier wrote:
"I think in the case of Camelot 3000, I seem to recall reading somewhere that it was a real wake-up call for Brian Bolland. His inability to produce that volume of pages per month is what led to him sticking pretty exclusively to covers and one-shotsfrom that point on. Seems to have been a pretty traumatic episode for him."

A good case of having learned his limitations then.
Incidentally, I read some bits of an interview with Brent Anderson in the new edition of God Loves, Man Kills in which he went into his editor to get off Ka-Zar as he wasn't happy with what he put out under the time constrictions that existed. The editor (I've already forgotten who) thought the job he was doing was fine and said that she and Claremont wanted to offer him X-Men. Anderson declined because he didn't feel up to the job of doing a group book on time, but later jumped onto the opportunity of doing the graphic novel which didn't have the same problems. Also suggested to me, somebody who, at least at that time,* knew his own limitations.

* A slight caveat, as I'm unsure of his current output.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2008 at 10:31pm | IP Logged | 4  

Didn't Terry Austin come in to do inks on the last issue of Camelot 3000, or am I misremembering? I think his involvement was part of the last-ditch effort to get the final issue out.

Jim Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2008 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 5  

QUOTE:
Didn't Terry Austin come in to do inks on the last issue of
Camelot 3000, or am I misremembering? I think his involvement was part
of the last-ditch effort to get the final issue out.

Yes, he did - and rather nice they looked, too, which is a VERY rare feat
among the small numbers of artists who have inked Bolland.

Interestingly (to me, at least), Austin also inked Dave Gibbons (in an
anthology book I no longer own, if faulty memory serves) with a near-
total lack of success.

Completing this circle, Gibbons had also inked Bolland back in their
2000AD days, which came out rather well.

Pencil/ink collaborations are something of a rarity in UK comics, and I
suspect that it is this that has led (I suspect) to my fascination with the
synergy that exists between some artists and not others.

Cheers

Jim

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 34
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version