Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 34 Next >>
Topic: Late Artists? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 February 2008 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 1  

QUOTE:
"Gee, I hope Ellis and Cassidy put out Planetary #  27 soon, that story's been dragging on for years now."

DC is hoping to get that one out by the end of this year.  (John Cassidy has "found a spot in his schedule to work on it.")

Back to Top profile | search

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 February 2008 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 2  

Ah, see, now this gets my goat. Instead of taking on x number of covers and other series, it would be great if the creators finish what they start. I mean, how many new series has Warren Ellis created since Planetary? How many issues of Astonishing X-Men has Cassidy drawn? It's not like either gentleman is not prolific. It just seems to me that they could have made a little time in their schedules to give us the conclusion to one of the most interesting comics series a little sooner.

I know that Ellis harbors a great deal of resentment for Planetary fans because of their constant clamoring for the next issue while he was going through health problems and the death of his father. Maybe this is his little way of flipping them all the bird? Regardless of the wait, still one of my favorite titles of the last decade.

Edited by Ron Chevrier on 29 February 2008 at 2:45pm

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 February 2008 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 3  

"Planetary" is this generations "Camelot 3000."

I don't have the comics at hand, so I'm forgetting the dates on these (and I
am too lazy to use Google right now), but I remember reading a couple of
the early "Planetary" issues on a bus I haven't taken for the past 6 years. Has
it really been that long since it started?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 February 2008 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 4  

Planetary. I came into it late so I read the first 20 issues in one sitting. Great book. After that the gap has been so long I don't remember the plot points frrom issue to issue. I have read all of the last 10 issues but I have no idea what's going on, because I forget one issue before I read the next. 

But, to be fair; I don't buy them either.

Felicity Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 February 2008 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 5  

Knut, you’d be surprised how little twelve years of mandatory French classes prepares you to speak French in real life. I’m nowhere near fluent. I can’t understand French spoken at normal speed. I can sort of read it, and I can vaguely speak it, but if I were to try to use it, I couldn’t make myself understood as clearly as I could in English. And this is true for the majority of English-speaking Canadians, all of whom also had to take French classes from kindergarten through grade eleven. We’re all forced to learn it, and yet ultimately, when we graduate, we still don’t speak it. I don’t personally know anyone who speaks better French than I do who doesn’t have French-speaking relatives or didn’t take additional classes, such as French immersion.

As for being in Quebec and defaulting to English, it’s not a matter of courtesy; I effectively just don’t know how to speak French, and I don’t wish to bite off more than I can chew by trying. You could certainly make the case that when I travel to a foreign country, I should not expect everyone to understand English, but that’s not the same thing as it being OK for someone to be mean to me because I don’t speak their language. When tourists from other countries come to Vancouver and don’t speak English, I’m not mean to them, and if I were to go to Japan (and I speak Japanese about as well as I speak French), I wouldn’t get the kind of treatment I got in Quebec. I might or might not get them to understand, but they certainly wouldn’t be mean to me for trying English first.

Ironically, I have a facility for languages, and did well in French class in school. It’s just that studying a language does not mean you can understand it when its native speakers speak it at normal speed, or express yourself as clearly as you would in your own language.

Quebec has all but ruined French language and culture for me; had it not been for their hatred of English, I might have wanted to become fluent in French.

Well, Gambit is still sexy, anyway.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 February 2008 at 4:48pm | IP Logged | 6  

Also, Quebec French has many slang terms that have come into fairly common usage, which causes it to differ significantly from the French spoken in France or taught in school. Even for a French-speaking anglo such as myself, it is very difficult to make sense of what is being said.

I prefer Aurora myself.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 February 2008 at 5:22pm | IP Logged | 7  

I don't have the comics at hand, so I'm forgetting the dates on these (and I
am too lazy to use Google right now), but I remember reading a couple of
the early "Planetary" issues on a bus I haven't taken for the past 6 years. Has
it really been that long since it started?

Issue #1 came out in '99.  And it was scheduled to be a bi-monthly series, too.

++++++++

DC is hoping to get that one out by the end of this year.  (John Cassidy has "found a spot in his schedule to work on it.")

"A spot in his schedule."  Right.  Ok. 

Unfortunately, I won't be able to fine a "spot in my bank account" to buy the book.

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2008 at 6:19am | IP Logged | 8  

Do any of you guys know what delayed Camelot 3000? Was it completely Mr. Bolland's art?

I did love that comic, but that wait was terrible.

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2008 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 9  

I love Camelot 3000, but then the only wait I ever had to suffer through was managing to collect all the issues of the Swedish anthology comic Gigant where it was first published (in very nice b/w). I think I got in around chapter four or five and then had to hunt up some back issues and find the following issues, so it still took me some time, but not on account of late publication (I guess one of the few advantages of the time lag in translated publication).

Troy Nunis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2008 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 10  

I also got Camelot 3000 well after it had already been publish so the "wait" didn't effect me -- and i'm sure that's the sort of thinking they who forgive lateness go by -- they are in the Trade Paper back bussiness in the first place, so if the (insert snide demonstrative term for indivisual issues here) come out late, the important people wait for the trade won't care -- ignoring the effect on comic retailers, the effect of people giving up on the book completely durring the wait, etc etc --

Cataloging Camelot 3000 into my data base, i was horrified by the gaps in publication when i realized how long it took, and as good as it was - i would have given up waiting if i had been buying it as it came out.  Even if something WAS truelly "Worth the wait" these people should at least have the decency to feel BAD about being late rather than Glorifying it.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2008 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 11  

I think in the case of Camelot 3000, I seem to recall reading somewhere that it was a real wake-up call for Brian Bolland. His inability to produce that volume of pages per month is what led to him sticking pretty exclusively to covers and one-shotsfrom that point on. Seems to have been a pretty traumatic episode for him.

Mike Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2008 at 10:19pm | IP Logged | 12  

I gave up on Planetary when I realized I couldn't remember what happened in the last issue because it had been almost TWO YEARS! If Ellis can't be troubled to put out the book on anything even vaguely resembling a reasonable schedule why should I be troubled to buy it?

As far as timely books, Ellis is pretty much the kiss of death. Outside of maybe FELL I don't think Ellis has even tried to keep things on time. He's always got some excuse: blah blah SICKNESS...blah blah ARTIST...but the common factor in all the late Ellis books is...WARREN ELLIS. I might have accepted the sickness excuse if there hadn't been a bazillion Ellis books that came out during the time he was "sick and unable to work." And who can blame Cassady for taking other jobs...you can't put food on the table with one book every year and a half.

I wonder what's going to happen when Ellis takes over the perennially late Astonishing X-Men? We may have to develop whole new terms to describe it's lateness. "This book comes out bi-Ellis-ly"

<< Prev Page of 34 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version