Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 34 Next >>
Topic: Late Artists? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2008 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 1  

No one's keeping you from learning french anyway. Which isn't a great feat to ask from english speakers since it's not like you need to memorise a whole new alphabet before you can even build on your vocabulary.

I've worked with many people who've lived here for years yet don't know a single word in french despite having internet access and free classes offered by many employers no matter what their income is. 20k a year, 40k, 200k, doesn't matter the income, many people are allowed to live happily here without ever bothering to even be aware of or to respect our culture. Maybe they go overboard on signs in public places but Quebec is very tolerant. So please don't call us nazis

Edited by Martin Redmond on 28 February 2008 at 10:37am
Back to Top profile | search

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2008 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 2  

Geeze. Struck a nerve there, Martin? Neither Greg nor myself made any mention of "Nazis" in our posts, but now that you mention it and judging from your super-defensive reaction . . . but hey, on behalf of all my unilingual friends, thanks for "allowing people to live here happily"  Respect is earned on both sides of the language fence, buddy. Quebec Uber Alles!

Anyway, this is changing the subject. This thread is about late artists, so:
"I read that Jim Lee at Wondercon mentioned that his run on All Star Batman and Robin  should run to about  issue # 22. Guess I'll have to set aside a little of my Social Security money to pick it up when it comes out"

Edited by Ron Chevrier on 28 February 2008 at 4:27pm

Felicity Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2008 at 11:22pm | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:
Quebec is very tolerant.

YMMV. I still remember Bill 101. How would Francophones like it if we passed a law here in British Columbia that all signs had to have the English first and in a larger font? No more “Ecole Secondaire Matthew McNair Secondary School,” no more “Carres aux Rice Krispies Squares”! I remember how, when I went to visit my relatives in Aylmer and Hull (oh, sorry--that’s Gatineau, now that we can’t have any cities in Quebec with English names), the attitude of shopkeepers and a community center manager would change immediately when they heard me speak English, and they’d treat me like dirt. And for this I had to take twelve years of mandatory French classes in school?

Edited by Felicity Walker on 28 February 2008 at 11:26pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2008 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 4  

"how the attitude of shopkeepers and a community center--or centre--supervisor changed immediately and they began treating me badly when I spoke English. And for this I had to take twelve years of mandatory French classes in school?"

If you had 12 years of french classes, why would you need to adress the shopkeeper in English?

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 February 2008 at 5:25am | IP Logged | 5  

Because English is her first and preferred language, probably.  In spite of how a minority in the province may wish otherwise, Quebec is still part of Canada, and an English speaker in Quebec should reasonably expect to be greeted with something besides contempt and disgust for speaking their native language, just as a French speaker would expect to be treated civilly in an Anglo part of the country.  My French is *horrible*, but do I sigh and throw up my hands when dealing with someone who speaks only French?  No, I go to work making a sincere attempt to communicate with my admittedly limited French, the same as I would expect someone who spoke pretty much exclusively French to do for me.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 February 2008 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 6  

Quebec is a wonderful and rather unique place to live. I grew up in an English environment, yet managed to learn decent French from my Mom and courses forced upon me in High School.

I have no problem with laws supporting French Canadian culture, since it feels threatened and insecure, surrounded by 'evil' Anglophone culture (including American media, which is imported and badly translated or voiced-over). I find certain unreasonable laws silly, but simply shrug my shoulders and move on.

Hey, all politics is basically silly, c'est la vie.

Now that's a thread drift...

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 February 2008 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 7  

Well of course signs have to be readable in the one official language, otherwise you end up with a babel tower of communities within your state who can't communicate with one another.

Learning a foreign language is no great feat either. All I have in english is 3 years worth of grade school classes and I get by just fine. People with higher educations than me speak worse english or french than I do and yet they can still do their jobs even if they can't write plurals properly. You don't need 12 years studying a language to be functional with it.

Edited by Martin Redmond on 29 February 2008 at 8:44am

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 February 2008 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 8  

"Because English is her first and preferred language, probably. "

I understand that much. But if you're in a french-speaking country or province and speak french yourself, when adressing locals it is polite to speak french. Speaking english (if they do speak english) should be a choice only if french is not an exercisable option. That is if your french is poor or non existent or their english is much better than your french.

To walk into a french-speaking store or office and assume that english should be the language of choice when both parties speak french is rude, arrogant and condescending.

Which is why I asked why Felicity expected to speak english despite having 12 years of french classes and therefore presumably is well versed in the language (myself, I was fluent in english after 3).

Edited by Knut Robert Knutsen on 29 February 2008 at 9:09am

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 February 2008 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 9  

To address a couple of points, Knut, first off, we are officially a two language country, and that works both ways - francophones traveling outside Quebec generally expect to be serviced in their native tongue - so why should anglophones expect hostility *in* Quebec for speaking english?  Secondly, not everyone has the same facility for languages - somewhat like Felicity, I took french for four or five school years, and I found it impossible to wrap my head around learning a new tongue, and I like to consider myself a fairly bright guy!  Part of the reason for my difficulty, I'm sure, is that I didn't start learning until something like grade seven or eight, which is why I'm all for mandatory french classes from the very first grade on, when we're much more open to learning a second language.  Of course, as I mentioned above, not everyone will pick it up as easily as others.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 February 2008 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 10  

I understand, Trevor. Norway is a two language country as well. Or rather, we have two different language FORMS. That is, close enough that most spoken dialects are somewhere in between.

(excepting the Sami minority plus we learn english as a "second" language from first grade -used to be third- and a third language from 8th grade. As well as swedish and danish which don't get counted as separate languages from norwegian in this context).

The animosity from the dominant language group towards the minority is at times extreme. Their attitude is that even though we (the minority) have to learn both forms in order to function in society, since most major newspapers and magazines, most books etc are printed in that language form, it is a violation of their civil rights to make them learn OUR language form.

But in there somewhere there has to be a sense of being polite. I agree that if a french canadian comes to english-speaking canada, he should speak english, if able. But likewise an english canadian should speak french in french-speaking canada, if able.

The key here is "if able".

Language is certainly soemthing that gets tempers up, so I should probably stay out of the canadian debate, having enough with the equally messed up norwegian situation.

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 February 2008 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 11  

"Gee, I hope Ellis and Cassidy put out Planetary #  27 soon, that story's been dragging on for years now." No? Okay then . . .

I was lucky enough to grow up in a household that spoke English, French, and Italian (even missed Saturday cartoons for Italian school). I have no problem with the promotion of the French language and culture in Quebec, so long as it is not at the expense of the suppression of other languages, particularly English, as is most often the case here in Quebec.

Far too many  francophone hard-liners in this province view English as the language of the oppressor, despite the fact that most of the so-called oppressors picked up stakes and moved their head offices to Toronto back in 1976 when the Parti Quebecois first came to power. Montreal, once the financial and business powerhouse of the entire country, now has to go begging for handouts from all levels of government  just to improve its infrastructure, nevermind regain a fraction of its former glory as a hub of industry and commerce..

Despite the fact that the city is still the main financial cog in the province's revenue machine, it perennially gets the short end of the taxation and revenue stick no matter which political party is in power because there are "too many damned anglos". The PQ ignores Montreal because acknowledging it would alienate the hardline francophones that put them in power, who live in the outlying areas of the province and who might have met maybe one "damned anglo" in their entire lives, which is of course, one too many. The Liberal party gets elected on the strength of Montrealers' votes but ignores the city because it fears that any attempt to acknowledge Montreal would hurt its chances of re-election with the Francophone voters.

So, instead of progressing, Montreal, and by extension the entire province, remains the butt of the nation's jokes, because we can't put a stupid language issue aside and focus on more important issues at hand like, say, high taxation, unemployment, giant car-swallowing potholes, corrupt city officials  who are not even making an effort any more to hide their underhanded dealings, they just bill homeowners an extra  $35 000 on their property taxes for  building nonexistent sidewalks and repaving the roads that were in good shape to begin with.

Edited by Ron Chevrier on 29 February 2008 at 1:32pm

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 February 2008 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 12  

What I don't understand about Canada... if it is a 2 language country why don't everybody speak both languages? The scandinavian countries have very small populations and therefore very small language groups. If we didn't speak or read foreign languages (primarily english) our countries would quickly become cutlurally atrophied.

We can't even commit to university studies without speaking a foreign language (or several.) I studied norwegian language and literature at university, and our curriculum was in norwegian (both forms), swedish, danish, old norse, icelandic, english  and german.

And since both english and french are "world languages" that can be used to access vast reservoirs of excellent literature, films, music, plays etc I would think that the incentive for learning both is already there.

<< Prev Page of 34 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version