Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 34 Next >>
Topic: Late Artists? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2008 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 1  

John Byrne wrote:
Shooter asked me how many pages I did in a day. When I told him three, he asked "What do you think would happen if you only did two?" My response: "I'd finish earlier."

This reminds me of one of my favorite Mike Sekowsky anecdotes.  Sekowsky was of course well-known for being one of the fastest artists ever.  An editor Sekowsky was working for (I think it was Murray Boltinoff) once told him he wanted him to slow down and take a little more time on an assignment to see if it made his work better.  He gave him the script on Friday, and Sekowsky drew the entire issue over the weekend.  He then waited for two weeks before turning it in.  The editor's response was "Wow, see how much better your work is when you take your time!"
Back to Top profile | search

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2008 at 10:20pm | IP Logged | 2  

A friend of mine worked for the city a few years back. Here's how a bureaucracy works -

He had ten hours to finish a job that took him three hours. His boss told him to sit for seven hours (and collect pay!) because they had to use the full ten hours for that job. It was budgeted that way.

On the other hand, in one of my previous jobs I was told to do something on my own in an hour that wound up taking a co-worker and me a full weekend to accomplish. When my boss came around on the Sunday afternoon and asked when we'd be done, we said another couple of hours. He said fine, he didn't think we'd finish that quick and he was just happy to get it done before Wednesday. I said "but you told me Friday afternoon to finish it before 5" and he said "I just wanted to see if it could be done."

Because a two-person, two-day job might get finished by one person in an hour if you ask nice enough.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 February 2008 at 6:12am | IP Logged | 3  

This reminds me of one of my favorite Mike Sekowsky anecdotes. Sekowsky was of course well-known for being one of the fastest artists ever. An editor Sekowsky was working for (I think it was Murray Boltinoff) once told him he wanted him to slow down and take a little more time on an assignment to see if it made his work better. He gave him the script on Friday, and Sekowsky drew the entire issue over the weekend. He then waited for two weeks before turning it in. The editor's response was "Wow, see how much better your work is when you take your time!"

••

Probably apocryphal, but it certainly represents modern fanthink. I've been hit with the reverse, several times. I usually cite OMAC, which was rescheduled because DC screwed up the original solicits, and so came out at the same time as several other projects of mine that had been in the pipeline for months. When OMAC came out along with all this other work, fanzine letter pages were suddenly full of criticisms of how "rushed" my work looked, because I was clearly "doing too much". In reality, my daily production was, on average, slightly less than it had been when I was doing X-MEN.

Of course now, years later, with its release date forgotten, OMAC is held up as some of my best work ever. (Much like how my FF, excoriated at the start, is now "second only to Lee and Kirby".)

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2008 at 6:16am | IP Logged | 4  

OMAC my first experience of your black & white work. I remember picking up the first issue and being blown away on multiple levels by how different it was than any other comic I had previously read.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Thorsten Brochhaus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2008 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 5  

I don't disagree with you at all, Thorston. Late artists annoy the hell out of me.

----

I am a huge, a HUGE fan of Frank Chos work. But he should never have taken the assignment on The Mighty Avengers. It was suposed to be one book every six weeks (nothing wrong with that compared to monthly, if i know it before) and he couldn't pull it off. He thought he could, but he should have KNOWN he could before he agreed on the job.
Even I could have told him he couln't pull it off.

Vladimir Fiks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2008 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 6  

Every time this discussion comes up I'm left totally mystified. I make my
living as a commercial artist. At the moment as a freelancer, but in the
past both as a designer and an Art Director. Deadlines are something that
I just take for granted. They are there, they need to be met.

Often it is the clients that make it difficult to do our jobs, but that just
means working longer hours to meet the set times. The whole concept of
just doing the projects at whatever pace I feel, seems quite foreign. If I
approached my work with that thinking, I would be living on the street, as
I'm sure all of my clients would move on to other pastures.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 February 2008 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 7  

…difficult to do our jobs…

••

The key word there, of course, is jobs, as I am sure you know.

A large part of what's wrong with the comicbook industry today is that people have almost entirely forgotten that it is an industry, a business, and that working in the field must be treated like any other job.

Thorsten Brochhaus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2008 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 8  

...as I'm sure all of my clients would move on to other pastures.

---

I think this is the point. If they wouldn't not only stay your clients but applaude you for taking longer when you misses a deadline, beacuse they where under the impression you really wanted to do it RIGHT, you probably wouldn't take your deadlines so serious anymore.

Edited by Thorsten Brochhaus on 26 February 2008 at 8:34am

Vladimir Fiks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2008 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 9  

I think this is the point. If they wouldn't not only stay your clients but
applaude you for taking longer when you misses a deadline, beacuse they
where under the impression you really wanted to do it RIGHT, you
probably wouldn't take your deadlines so serious anymore.

-----

That's pretty funny. Recently I was working on a catalog for a client. I was
doing some pretty involved painted backgrounds. I had just finished one
(of the Egyptian landscape before the ruin) that I was quite proud, the Art
Director looked at it and said that it as gorgeous and in the same breath
that the catalog was moved up by two months. Needless to say that the
next BG (of a padded cell) was not quite as detailed.

However, I have a hard time doing less than 100% work for the clients.
Even though time constraints did not allow me to the luxury of doing the
same type of rendering I was doing before, I still tried to give them a
professional quality product that they were more than happy with.

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2008 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 10  

professional quality product that they were more than happy with

I think rabid fanboys are probably the worse 'clients' imagineable <g>.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2008 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 11  

A friend of mine worked for a magazine.  The boss was big on saying "this isn't a 40 hour a week job, you stay until the job is done."

Could things be rushed due to deadlines?  Yes, and it's usually the management's fault, like the aforementioned issue of the Fantastic Four done (completely, writing and art) in 3 days due to no one noticing that it hadn't been assigned to anyone previously.  But that doesn't mean it was a horrible book or not done professionally.  I think JB once told me he pencilled an issue of Spider-Man in 2 days, due to no one having been assigned the work until it was almost due.  And Sal Buscema made his name in comics by being able to get any book back on schedule at a moments notice.  Does Sal's work stink?  Methinks it's pretty darn good!!

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 February 2008 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 12  

There is no doubt that the Publishers are much to blame, on several levels. Take DK2, for instance. I talked to Frank while he was working on it, and he told me that despite all his protestations, DC was insisting on scheduling the book. "We need this to come out in this fiscal quarter!" or somesuch. "But there's no way I will be finished by then! This is the earliest I can turn in the last issue."

But they went ahead and scheduled it anway.

This is, of course, the same company that scheduled WORLD OF KRYPTON retroactively, again because they needed it within a certain fiscal quarter. I have been handed many a project that was late when I came aboard -- but never before had I been asked to do something that was late because the publishers scheduled it that way!

An interesting note on how much things have changed -- for the worse! When MAN OF STEEL was announced, it was scheduled as a bi-weekly, six issues in three months. DC received many calls and letters from retailers expressing their doubts and concerns that the book could actually be produced on that schedule! Where are those guys now??

<< Prev Page of 34 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version