Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 34 Next >>
Topic: Late Artists? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2008 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 1  

This is just another negative that has reared it's ugly head since comic sales have been confined for the most part to local comic shops.

Back when they were on news stands and in drug stores and convenience stores they had to be shipped on time because the product had a shorter shelf life.  If it wasn't sold by the date on the cover it was pulled off the shelf.  This is why deadlines were so critical and followed religiously back then.

And look at it this way - if you're putting out a comic that sells 100,000 copies an issue but only comes out four times a year you're selling 400,000 comics.  A comic that ships monthly only has to sell 33,333 copies an issue to match that.  It should be a no-brainer - get the comics out in a timely manner and the company makes more money.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2008 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 2  

Ray Brady wrote:
"You're quite mad, you know. Surely, no story can be told in a single issue!"

Well, I'm not called The Mad Swede for nuthin' you know...
but contrary to that first conception, I have been reading a lot Essentials and Showcases lately that suggest that not only can you tell ONE story in a single issue, but TWO stories per issue is a distinct possibility!!!
(and good stories at that).

Back to Top profile | search | www

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2008 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 3  

I have been reading a lot Essentials and Showcases lately that suggest that not only can you tell ONE story in a single issue, but TWO stories per issue is a distinct possibility!!!
(and good stories at that).

The more and more I hear about late artists, bad storytelling, "decompression" and all that other crap, the more I think it would be a good idea if every writer and artist assigned to a long-running character were chained to a chair and forecd to read the Essentials or Showcases.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2008 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 4  

Are you mad? Those Showcases and Essentials were produced and published on a monthly basis. Sometimes even by consistent creative teams! And they outsold the current comics by ... well, a lot. Clearly all this indicates a rushed and stale product that appeals to the lowest common denominator.

You can't pollute the minds of the current creative geniuses with this! Imagine what would happen if they developed a work ethic! The rose gardens would wilt away! 

Back to Top profile | search

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2008 at 4:30pm | IP Logged | 5  

No Roses! >sob< No . . .Roses!

Shaun Crowell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2008 at 5:03pm | IP Logged | 6  

In another thread there was a link to a Kirby panel where Mike Royer said that when he was inking for Kirby he had to ink and letter three pages a day just to keep up to him! And he never missed a deadline.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Howard Mackie
Byrne Robotics Security
Armed and Dangerous

Posted: 24 February 2008 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 7  

<<At Wizard World Chicago one of the Marvel editors was talking about their talent search and mentioned they expected their artists to pencil a book in six weeks.

If thats true I'm suprised ANY of their books are on time!>>

No kidding! REally... Iread this quote and couldn't decide if this editor was arrogant, uninformed, or just stupid. Again... for all those making the growing roses arguments of the previous pages... it is ALL about defining your medium. If you are working in MONTHLY comic books, and the books do not come out MONTHLY... you have FAILED!. DO something else.... or clearly redefine your business model. 

Howard

Howard Mackie
Byrne Robotics Security
Armed and Dangerous

Posted: 24 February 2008 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 8  

<<Three or four years ago, I attended the Toronto Comicon. Eddie Berganza was addressing a large crowd of DC fans. At one point, he said something that I will never forget because of its pure audacity. I'm paraphrasing a bit, but he proclaimed to the effect that "Readers are happily willing to wait a little longer for a book if the creative team is really doing a really good job">>

SOME readers will... but it is NOT the way to grow a base.

Howard

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2008 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 9  

Well, then, I am stumped. Can't think of one book I enjoyed produced by
the Rose-Growers. Truth be told, the less these guys produce, the easier I
sleep.

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2008 at 5:15pm | IP Logged | 10  

Howard-
We've addressed problems with artists, but do you find that the editors have now become unprofessional fanboys, with no true editing experience?
That can't help the decent artists out there...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Scott Sackett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2008 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 11  

if you're putting out a comic that sells 100,000 copies an issue but only comes out four times a year you're selling 400,000 comics.  A comic that ships monthly only has to sell 33,333 copies an issue to match that.  It should be a no-brainer - get the comics out in a timely manner and the company makes more money.

This example has been used here often and I agree in theory, but I think one thing everybody forgets. The publisher has to pay four times as much for the second book to make the same amount as the first book.

The printing costs would be the same (maybe more for new plates) , but the cost of labor would be more, I don't have a clue about royalties, someone here else may know.

The publishers may prefer to ship less books, but with higher sales.

The real comparison would be "If Ultimates shipped 12 times vs. 4, we'd make three times as much money"

The guys who really get screwed (at least financially) are the retailers.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Howard Mackie
Byrne Robotics Security
Armed and Dangerous

Posted: 24 February 2008 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 12  

<<Howard-
We've addressed problems with artists, but do you find that the editors have now become unprofessional fanboys, with no true editing experience?
That can't help the decent artists out there... >>

Honestly, I have little to no experience with most of the editors currently working at the Big Two. I worked with one high placed editor who was very keen on "redefining the medium". This seemed to consist of taking "mainstream" super-hero titles and putting writers and artists who had never written super-hero books, expressed a complete distain for super-hero comics, and being very pleased when they generated sales that were in line with what VERTIGO books of the 90's were selling.

I think there is a real loss of a sense of history of the comic book medium... and very little training as the publishers are scramblign to become more like movies, television or somethign else that is NOT comic books. Getting rid of thought balloons, transitional captions, sound effects, action, adventure and a sense of wonder... which shows that the editorial and publishers are embarassed by the medium they profess to love, and in which they have chosen to work.

But what do I know?

H

<< Prev Page of 34 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version