Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 34 Next >>
Topic: Late Artists? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 February 2008 at 6:58am | IP Logged | 1  

Julie Schwartz knew his stuff -including the fact that fans liked a consistent team on a specific feature, and if it had been possible to keep Adams on the Ra's Al Ghul stories, I'm presuming he would have. It's precisely because he couldn't that Novick and Brown are doing other parts of that story.

••

Altho Julie doubtless hired Neal to do books like GREEN LANTERN and BATMAN because he saw in this "new guy" a spectacular talent to be exploited, Julie was still one of the old-timers, someone who knew it was the song, not the singer that was important. His job was to produce BATMAN, not Neal Adams' BATMAN.

Keep in mind, too, that the late Sixties and early Seventies, when much of this work was being done, was still very much a part of the period in which the books had several stories, and several creative teams, in each issue. That approach was rapidly dying out -- to the ultimate detriment of the form as a whole -- but the mentality was still there. The talent was less important than the characters, and having Neal on one issue and Irv Novick on the next was, in Julie's mind, not so very different from having a three story issue with Shelly Moldoff, Dick Sprang and Jack Burnley on the art. Some fans were, by then, buying for Neal Adams, but most were buying for Batman.

Back to Top profile | search

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2008 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 2  

QUOTE:
At Wizard World Chicago one of the Marvel editors was talking about their talent search and mentioned they expected their artists to pencil a book in six weeks.

If thats true I'm suprised ANY of their books are on time!

Six weeks not enough?

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2008 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:
I'm paraphrasing a bit, but he proclaimed to the effect that "Readers are happily willing to wait a little longer for a book if the creative team is really doing a really good job"

Um, no, they're not. They wait because they have no choice if they want to read the further adventures of their favorite character(s) in the late book in question. And isn't the creative team always supposed to be doing a really good job?

Some fans do, however, have this mentality, unfortunately.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 February 2008 at 7:08am | IP Logged | 4  

At Wizard World Chicago one of the Marvel editors was talking about their
talent search and mentioned they expected their artists to pencil a book in
six weeks.

If thats true I'm suprised ANY of their books are on time!

••

Six weeks = 30 working days. That's less than 3/4ths of a page a day. Do
these guys have to break every five minutes so their nannies can massage
their aching hands?

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2008 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 5  

"Altho Julie doubtless hired Neal to do books like GREEN LANTERN and BATMAN because he saw in this "new guy" a spectacular talent to be exploited, Julie was still one of the old-timers, someone who knew it was the song, not the singer that was important. His job was to produce BATMAN, not Neal Adams' BATMAN."

Ok. Point taken. Maybe I'm pushing too hard to make a point.

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2008 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 6  

Ok, catching up a bit...

Greg wrote:
"I don't blame artists for choosing not to refuse work, but I wonder why editors put their own necks at risk by continuing to hire freelancers with histories of being slow."

I you take on the work without having the capacity to do it, I sure as heck blame the artist, writer, plumber, carpenter or whichever job we're talking about. If the job includes a deadline and you cannot work that deadline, you absolutely shouldn't take the job.
And honestly, you should now your own limitations much better than an editor who may never have met you or know about your limitations. Bottom line, if you take on the job, make sure you know what's required and make sure the requirements doesn't jar with your own work limitations.
Pretty basic stuff, methinks.

JB wrote:
"Doesn't alter the fact that Frank used to be a maniac about getting the stuff in and out on time -- nor does it make the points he raised on this subject any less valid."

Indeed. Does make it rather sad that Miller seems to have slipped off a good standard though.

Eric Lund wrote:
"This argument is stupid. Whether JB produces 1,000,000,000 comics on time or not. If someone would rather buy 1 Neal Adams comic and no one wants to buy 1,000,000,000 JB comics then the 1,000,000,000 are worth nothing in the market place.

Welcome to capitalism and the free market. There is a thing called 'Perceived Value' and a comicbooks 'Perceived Value' in the marketplace at this time has zero to do with whether it came out on time."

Seems like a pretty un-capitalistic motive from the comics companies however to promote the perceived values that getting to sell less issues per year and piss off customers with broken delivery promises (and thus sell even less). I thought the main motivation of capitalism was to make as much money as possible as often as possible. Not to get "artsy-fartsy" "rose growing" and maybe sell something some time. And don't tell me that the companies cannot effect the "perceived values" because if that'd be true, there'd be no advertisement agencies anywhere around the globe.

Knut wrote:
"Yeah, Neal Adams' work was great. Fans loved it, pros loved it, but the books had to come out on time and someone had to pick up the slack. He's not the only artist who was slow, but whose art was loved by Fans, pros and editors. If you're slow that's how you survive."

Also, was he late on delivery? Or did he only get/take the job do certain issues? It seems to me when reading stories from that period that back then the market wasn't focused on big story arcs and hence shifting artists and writers around different titles etc wasn't necessarily that uncommon. And people tended to follow their comic and not necessarily the artists or writers producing it, or mayhap a bit of both... I may be wrong, of course, as I don't have first hand experience with the era, but looking back at material from that time, I get that sensation.

JB also wrote:
"And if we have a 'top seller' that does, say, 150,000, but only comes out four times a year, when it was supposed to be a monthly, how is that to be considered something that 'sell(s) very well?' By my reckoning it made 1/3rd of what it could have -- and that is the only number retailers should be concerned with."

Apropos of which, how do the retailers actually keep in business if they can far too often not rely upon getting the merchandise they need to sell to pay their bills?

George Massou wrote:
"The whole notion of 'supposed to be monthly' is outdated. If a book does not come out monthly then there is no expense. No one looks at hypothetical slaes and profits. They look at ACTUAL profits and loss. So if we get a comic that comes out 6 times a year as long as it brings in a profit then the publishers are happy.

And retailers wont do anything because they dont care. Most late books still sell if the right creative team is onboard. if timelyness was at the forefront of retailers or readers thoughts then your Doom Patrol series would not have been cancelled."

Um, the retailers don't care that they have costs for their stores which aren't filled with merchandise they've been promised? The publishers have no yearly costs for offices and administrative staff etc? Interesting. Methinks JB's saying about the industry having gone into fullblown fanzine hobby mode must be one hundred percent true according to what you're saying, George. And I'd like to see examples of other businesses where you think the retailers would accept not getting their products from the companies they work with. Good luck!

Felicity wrote:
"Notice the disclaimers about how this is just an abstract concept and in the real world I don?t mind the pragmatism necessary to get comics published on time and not wreck people?s plans? Kind of changes the whole meaning when you reduce it to 'I?d rather have a perfect comic late than an imperfect comic on time,' doesn?t it?"

Well I'd rather have comics, period. And the current busines trend, I think, could make it kind of hard for us to get it in the long run, perfect or otherwise.
Besides, I still don't see the basic equation as working: late comics = perfect comics. There've been plenty of comics that were on time to which I'd be ready to ascribe your use of the word "perfect" and plenty of late ones you couldn't get me to do that with at gun point.

Kevin Brown wrote:
"As far as Hitch, or any other similarly slow artist, is concerned:  Do NOT give them monthly titles as their regular assignment.  Give them an arc that can be fit in when done.  Give them mini-series.  Give them Annuals.  Something that can be planned out well in advance, knowing how long it takes for them to draw x-number of pages."

Or why not, you know, give them some one issue stories inbetween to salt and pepper some regular runs. Then their fans can follow them around on different titles if they want, and those titles can enjoy their art but without getting late, and the only ones who need to think about the speed, would be the artists themselves in terms of making enough money to get by on. Sounds like a fair enough deal to me.

Brad Brickley wrote:
"Video games are cool, and the movies are fun, but I think kids are missing out by not reading comics.  I still remember the feeling of discovery when I found a new comic or came across some great story that caught me by surprise.
I still get that from time to time, but I don't get it as often.  Besides, I'm an old guy (41) and comics should be out there and accessible to the young ones.  The closest comic shop is an hour away.  I don't think many kids in my town have a chance for those cool discoveries
."

I agree, Brad. While I think it's great that the medium of comics has come to direct attention to an adult market, I think it's insane to opt for doing that exclusively. Literature's been around for a while, and I've never seen anyone suggest that we should stop publishing children's books just because we have a lot more sales in the grown up section... You want to get people in young and keep them for as long as possible... at least, I think you should want to, if you were running a business.

Jonathan Stover wrote:
"But because comics promised entertainment on a schedule (like, say, TV), they did want those books to be there when they went to the store once a week or twice a month or whatever. To liken it to TV, once a network starts moving a show around a schedule -- or preempting it for weeks -- ratings almost inevitably start to drop. And I think comics worked exactly the same way for a long time without anyone realizing it because they always stayed on schedule."

I agree, Jonathan. I've lost interest in more than one tv-series because of a Swedish channel's tendency of moving it around, sometimes without warning or info. At times, when I've really liked what I've seen, I just sigh and decide to opt for buying a DVD when it gets out, and stop watching the channel for it. In that case, it's sell for the makers of the series, but not so much for the tv-channel having bought the rights to air it. Also makes you wonder where advertisers will start reacting, since some channels seem to think that people with sit through any programme on a particular time just awaiting the commercials.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Erin Anna Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2008 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 7  

The thing that depresses me the most about threads like this is that I find myself being held up as some kind of religious zealot for insisting that people should do the job they have been hired to do!!

You are not being a religious zealot for insisting people do their jobs. As a matter of fact, you're an inspiration to me. The main reason I have returned to art school to finish up my BFA in Graphic Illustration, is late pencilers. I have tried to work as an inker, and I was only charging $25 a page. The problem was not getting enough pages per month, and not getting any work from Marvel or DC. I decided that the only way to solve the problem was to become the penciler myself, and then ink my own work. I figure this way I can make sure that the book comes out on time, and I hope to always have work. There is a song that I feel best describes why books are shipping late.

They would have drawn a page today, but they got high.

Other people could have had work too, but they got high.

Now the book is shipping late, and they know why.

Because they got high, because they got high, because they got high.  

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2008 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
Six weeks = 30 working days. That's less than 3/4ths of a page a day. Do
these guys have to break every five minutes so their nannies can massage
their aching hands?

Reminds me of something Liefeld was quoted as saying.

Quoteth Rob:

"When you get called up for a meeting with Steven Spielberg or you're hanging out with Tom Cruise four days a week, you don't want to go home and draw; you want to find some friends and tell them about it."

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2008 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 9  

Or do commercials for Lee brand jeans.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 February 2008 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 10  

"When you get called up for a meeting with Steven Spielberg or you're
hanging out with Tom Cruise four days a week…"

••

Well, that all turned out so well, you can see why the comics would suffer.

Oh, wait. . .

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2008 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 11  

There was another fun quote from Todd McFarlane from his old E.G.O. column in Wizard magazine years ago (yes, there was a time I actually bought the wretched thing).

I wish I could remember the exact phrasing, but in a nutshell, he was complaining about the criticisms of Image lateness by his peers (JB, Peter David, etc.).  claiming that Image does not hurt their livelihood and that the criticism "boils down to jealously".

He likened this to an analogy that if his Mom opened a shoe store, nobody would care.. unless her shoe store was a huge success. 

Anyone happen to have those old Wizard issues? I would be interested to know how accurate my memory is here.

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2008 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 12  

"Or why not, you know, give them some one issue stories inbetween to salt
and pepper some regular runs."
-----
You're quite mad, you know. Surely, no story can be told in a single issue!
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 34 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version