Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 5:45pm | IP Logged | 1  

Sheesh
Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 2  

It would be nice if editors started holding late artists accountable.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 5:53pm | IP Logged | 3  

Bless you my son.

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 5:57pm | IP Logged | 4  

It would be nice if editors started holding late artists accountable.

Maybe the editors should be held accountable to the late books.  Why are they covering for late creators?  Maybe they should find talent that could keep their books on schedule.  A little CYA. 
Maybe the editors should get a bonus for books that ship on time.  I know that if I got more money to make sure something I do, i.e. my schedule at the ferries, to be on time I'd make sure everyone was hustling to get things done on time.

Edited to add- I know that as a pro I should do it anyway, but I'm just thinking if that kind of thinking is at hand, i.e. bonuses, maybe the guy in charge should get some extra dough to get things done on time.

Edited by Brad Brickley on 22 February 2008 at 6:00pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 5:59pm | IP Logged | 5  

I've enjoyed Jim Shooter and Manapul's Legion issues and I hope they come out every month and I hope they're as good as the first two issues. If they are and the sales still start that constant creep downwards what more can a publisher do if consistent quality doesn't seem to be what the fans want?

••

Comics long ago surrendered control of the product to the marketplace, something no sane business plan would ever involve. Because of this, quality no longer has a whole lot to do with what sells and what doesn't. Or did Rob Liefeld not make millions while becoming the shorthand reference for the worst kind of excess?

On the newsstand, the same number of issues were shipped to the same distribution points every month. If the sales dropped, it was because the number of warm bodies dropped. That can no longer be considered a truism.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 6:03pm | IP Logged | 6  

Maybe the editors should be held accountable to the late books.

••

A couple of decades ago -- the problem is not new, only the scope of it is new -- I was asked what I would do if I was EiC at Marvel or DC. After first making it clear I do not want that job, and never have, I offered one point that would be first order of business if I was somehow shanghaied into the position:

Every editorial office has four months to get all of its books on schedule. At the end of those four months, talent that is not on schedule is fired. If at the end of six months, books are still coming late from a particular editorial office, that editorial staff is fired.

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 7  

Why don't they ship comics to Wal-Mart and Target and other such places?  I see a million kids in there every time I'm in those places. 
It's like setting up a hotdog stand at the end of a dark alley instead of a busy intersection.  Makes no sense. 
Is the money so good in licensing that comics are of no concern to the parent companies?

William Byrd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 6:13pm | IP Logged | 8  

I wonder...

If the market were more like it was 20 years ago, that is comics available in grocery stores, gas stations, drug stores, newsstands, etc., and not many comic shops in less populated areas, would the late books be less acceptable?  When I had to depend on getting to a rack when I knew that the next issue of what I was collecting was coming out, missing an issue for what ever reason would cause me to stop getting that title and pick up something else instead.  With no pull list, or back issue stock to shop through, all I could depend on was good timing and/or presistant checking.  A title not coming out regularly would be a death sentence once the returns got billed back to the company because fans would have given up on those titles.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 9  

If comics were as they were in days gone by, late books would be illegal. In order to keep their special postal rates, magazines have to ship on schedule, or be able to invoke an Act of God to explain why they didn't. Going to the DSM made late books possible. Before, the Wrath of the Post Office would have descended before this kind of nonsense had gone on for too long!

William Byrd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 10  

Until now, I hadn't noticed that I no longer saw those circulation statements in the back of comics anymore. 

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 11  

Video games are cool, and the movies are fun, but I think kids are missing out by not reading comics.  I still remember the feeling of discovery when I found a new comic or came across some great story that caught me by surprise.
I still get that from time to time, but I don't get it as often.  Besides, I'm an old guy (41) and comics should be out there and accessible to the young ones.  The closest comic shop is an hour away.  I don't think many kids in my town have a chance for those cool discoveries.
I hope those late artist have back-up careers.

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2008 at 1:38am | IP Logged | 12  

What amazes me is that with current print technology the cost of printing and distributing large quantities for newsstands should have dropped.

As an example: My country is stretched thin, about the size of Japan or great Britain, but intersected with Fiords and mountains that make it difficult to travel in a straight line, and it's sparsely populated,  Only 4,5 million.

In the past, the major newspapers had problems didstributing to the northernmost cities (and small towns) since they were all printed  in the far souteast.  The Big Papers would be out at 5 in the morning in the capitol, and large cities in the north would get them at 5 in the afternoon (if at all) Even some big cities in the south wouldn't get the morning paper until 10. And the shipping costs were prohibitive.

Then, about 10-15 years ago, newspapers and printers decided to start up exchange deals. So after the Local Papers were printed, they'd get the files to the Big Papers transferred  and they'd print the Big Papers in something like 6 or 7 hubs around the country. Suddenly the northernmost cities had the paper at 6 or 7 in the morning and they even made room for using localized advertising pages so they'd rake in a few extra bucks there.

Imagine if that was the system for modern newsstand distribution of comics. Set up industry wide deals with printers in New york, Chicago, Miami, LA, London etc. And have the Comics delivered directly to newsstands off the presses, at least in big cities. I'm sure it would decrease shipping costs and aid in making comics viable as newsstand items again. Though this type of comics printing and distribution would probably make collectors' heads explode.  

<< Prev Page of 34 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version