Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 34 Next >>
Topic: Late Artists? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 1  

…etailers still order late books...readers still buy late books…

••

What choice do they have? It's not like the comicbook industry can find
parallels in the real world. If I feel I have been screwed by Ford, I can go
buy a Chevy.

It's a pity retailers aren't independently wealthy. Then they could
stop ordering books that didn't ship when promised, and really hit the
publishers where they'd notice.

++

..why the righteous indignation? is it because your books are out on time
but dont get the sales you feel they deserve?

••

I started this "crusade" when I was still King of the Hill. It is, and always
has been, about professionalism, not numbers.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 2  

I always thought that consistency (solid creative team and no blown deadlines) leads to the creation of a devoted fan base.

••

Wotta concept! You find a product you like, come back for more -- and there's more! You're not told "Well, maybe in six months, depending on how the roses are growing this year."

George Massou
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 3  

Trevor - that lawsuit involved returning late books - not exactly the same thing. Hibbs still orders late books. He just wanted to make sure returnability was a factor. Apples and Oranges.

Paulo - i for one am not interested in Matt Hawes opinion - i agree with JB's definition of a "bad retailer" when it comes to hawes. Toys, marked up back issues in polybags..everything me and JB dont like about retailers. Plus instead of properly running his shop he is busy self promoting and blubbering on youtube.

And keep in mind even if retailers chime in on late books - why do they still order them in droves? Ultimates was months late but still sold very very well. So they talk the talk but dont walk the walk.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 4  

I talk to the guy who owns my LCS all the time. He gets frustrated as hell at late books, but he orders them if his customers keep buying them. His biggest complaint is that he can't sell x number of those titles every month. It would put more money in his pocket.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 5  

And keep in mind even if retailers chime in on late books - why do they still
order them in droves? Ultimates was months late but still sold very very
well. So they talk the talk but dont walk the walk.

••

Which. Is. My. Point.

Bored now.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:
Paulo - i for one am not interested in Matt Hawes opinion - i agree with JB's definition of a "bad retailer" when it comes to hawes. Toys, marked up back issues in polybags..everything me and JB dont like about retailers. Plus instead of properly running his shop he is busy self promoting and blubbering on youtube.

Matt uploads videos of himself crying?  Weird.  Seriously, though, now I'm even more interested in what Matt has to say.

QUOTE:
And keep in mind even if retailers chime in on late books - why do they still order them in droves? Ultimates was months late but still sold very very well. So they talk the talk but dont walk the walk.

Wouldn't they sell better if they were put out more frequently?

Felicity Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 7  

I should also point out that what I actually said was:

QUOTE:
Speaking strictly as a fan of the medium, and setting aside for one moment the business angle and how a late comic affects people’s livelihoods, I would rather get a perfect comic late than an imperfect comic on time. However, that’s in my abstract dream-world, and I don’t begrudge the businesspeople their pragmatism.

Notice the disclaimers about how this is just an abstract concept and in the real world I don’t mind the pragmatism necessary to get comics published on time and not wreck people’s plans? Kind of changes the whole meaning when you reduce it to “I’d rather have a perfect comic late than an imperfect comic on time,” doesn’t it?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 8  

And keep in mind even if retailers chime in on late books - why do they
still order them in droves? Ultimates was months late but still sold very
very well. So they talk the talk but dont walk the walk.

++

Wouldn't they sell better if they were put out more frequently?

••

They probably would -- but the relentlessly overlooked element here is
that they wouldn't have to. As noted upthread, 12 books that sell 12,000
each make more for the retailer than 1 book that sells 100,000.

Now imagine 12 books that sell 40,000. 50,000. How about 12 books
that sell 100,000? That's about 1/4th of what Lee and Kirby did on FF,
monthly.

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 9  

"And retailers wont do anything because they dont care. Most late books still sell if the right creative team is onboard. if timelyness was at the forefront of retailers or readers thoughts then your Doom Patrol series would not have been cancelled."

Well now, that's just entirely untrue.  I know retailers personally and have discussed this issue with them.  If a retailer does not receive new product each week in his store to sell, then he loses potential income for that week and everything else in the financial chain is affected and suffers.  If a retailer does not receive product that has been solicited and paid for in advance by the store, his bottom line suffers tremendously.  Customers lose confidence and interest when their favorite book fails to come out on the date promised.  The retailer's money is tied up in orders that are not filled, affecting his ability to comfortably buy other merchandise for the shop. 

The negative domino effect of late books begins at the retailer level; they are the first to suffer.  That's the reason why so many shops closed down in the wake of the last speculator surge/Image boom that occurred in the early '90's.  Everyone in the chain suffers: retailers, distributors, printers, publishers and staff/talent.  A "hot" book that comes out six months late is generally unable to offset the damage that's been wrought, no matter how many copies or trades it may ultimately (no pun intended) sell. 

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 10  

QUOTE:
They probably would -- but the relentlessly overlooked element here is
that they wouldn't have to. As noted upthread, 12 books that sell 12,000
each make more for the retailer than 1 book that sells 100,000.

Agreed, but I'm wondering if ULTIMATES was such a sure seller, what kind of business would it do if 9-12 issues came out a year?  I wonder what kind of business ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN did.  I believe that book kept to an actual monthly schedule.

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 11  

Point is, it seems that slow 'flavor-of-the month' artists have been unaccountable for their behaviour, which is why the new DC policy (although it shouldn't even be necessary) is a step in the right direction.

Edited by Greg Woronchak on 22 February 2008 at 3:53pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 12  

Richard Pini and I had this discussion a decade or so back. When a retailer orders product that is not shipped when promised, the money s/he has tied up in the undelivered product cannot be spent elsewhere. Some may recall that the Image explosion -- their massive production of vaporware, was in some quarters blamed directly for smaller companies going belly up. Retailers didn't have the money for the other product, it was tied up in product they had not received.

As Richard pointed out, out there in the real world, this is called Prior Restraint of Trade, and it is illegal. Much of the crap that happens in comics, in fact, would get the FTC pounding the bejezuz out of Ford or Proctor and Gamble or Apple if they pulled the same stunts. Comics, alas, are just too small to show up on the Feds' radar.

<< Prev Page of 34 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version