Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: First Comic - What was yours? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 1  

I read on this forum that John Byrne was first introduced to Superman via a hardbound annual. This sent me out thee looking for what was my first comic and I found it here

http://www.purenostalgia.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Bri tish_Comic_Books_8.html

I was three years old and this must have been bought for me as I awas really into the Batman TV series. What struck me at the time was why did Superman have to fend off a tiger with a pitch fork? Why was he fending it off at all? I suppose I will now have to buy the annual again as I cannot remember what the reprints were. If anybody can help I will be truely thankful.
Does anybody own or even know what their first comic book was? Do you still own it or a replacement?

I have also noticed at the bottom of the page there is the first and last Young Marvel Man Annual.

Edited by joe glasgow on 05 February 2008 at 12:56pm
Back to Top profile | search

Matthew Lawrenson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 2  

My first US comic was Hulk #301.  Since I'd watched the TV series and read of his "Hulk smash!" and Banner-controlled personas, I was somewhat surprised to read a comic about a mindless beast wandering bizarre dimensions.

The next one I bought was Hulk #336. The Hulk was grey.

I was old enough to be confused, young enough to be accepting.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bob Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 3  

I can't remember what my very first comic was. I can narrow it down to one of three, all cover dated July 1978, when I was 4 years old!:

SUPERMAN # 325(first of a two-parter with Blackrock-cover shows Superman crushed by a gigantic hand).

ACTION # 485 (reprint of the early 70s story where Superman takes a bite of Kryptonite-featuring the now-famous cover by Neal Adams, with Superman snapping chains against an orange background)

DC COMICS PRESENTS # 1(part 1 of another 'race' between Superman and Flash)

This was in the era of 'Whitman' editions in plastic packs at drug stores, so for all I know, all three of these were in the same bag! But then, it was also common for consecutive issues of the same title to be packaged together, as well.( I seem to remember the next two issues of SUPERMAN were together in another bag).

Bradley Dean
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 4  

This is the first comic I can remember, and I don't even own it :-p I don't own any of these early X-Factor issues. I would like to eventually find this comic again so I can read it and see if its any good .

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 5  

Wow.  Bradley just made me feel old.  His first comic has a Liefeld cover and he referred to issue 50 as an "early" X-Factor!  Sheesh!

Side story:  this reminds me of a time my college roommate walked in the door and saw I was watching Silence of the Lambs.  He excitedly said, "Oh wow!  This is one of my favorite old movies!!!"  Old?  This was in the late 90s by the way so the movie was only seven or eight years old at that time. 

Edited by Joe Hollon on 05 February 2008 at 2:40pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Angelo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 6  

F.F. 61 was my first, but I think I've stated this in another thread already...?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bradley Dean
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 7  

Wow.  Bradley just made me feel old.  His first comic has a Liefeld cover and he referred to issue 50 as an "early" X-Factor!  Sheesh!

--------------------

hahah whoops.

I started collecting in the 90's, and this is how I eventually found Byrne, because so many comics in the 90's were crap. I was being drawn to Byrne comics over and over again without relizing it. Finally I caught on to his drawing style and was surprised to find I was unknowingly collecting his runs of different characters.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 8  

Star Wars #1.  My parents bought it for me as a surprise after I saw the movie.  I was all of 4 1/2 years old.  I think I still have it in a long box somewhere.

Peter Svensson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 9  

Justice League Quarterly #1, as part of a three-pack I bought in Toys-R-Us.

Gil Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 10  

The first comic I owned is Incredible Hulk #225. I bought it in a 7-11 when I was 7-ish. I still own it and several original art pages from the issue. (BTW - If anyone has any others please let me know!)

I didn't buy another comic until I was 10 though. Been collecting every week since!

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 11  

I'm one of those who can only narrow it down. :)  Based on vague memories of picking these up on the newsstands and looking at checklists, it's most likely one of the following:

a) Marvel Team-Up #106 (Spider-Man and Captain America vs. the Scorpion)
b) Marvel Super-Action #32 (reprint of Avengers #71 - Full line-up of Avengers vs. Kang and the Grandmaster; guest starring Marvel's Golden Age Big Three)
c) Superman Family #207 (which had the Legion and Earth-2 in it so I believe conventional wisdom says I should have run away screaming from DC and never looked back :-) )

I also would have gotten Roger Stern's Spider-Man book about this time, so it might even have been that if you want to count it.  (Reprints of AF #15 and ASM #80.)

(Edited to add images.)

Edited by Dave Phelps on 07 February 2008 at 8:06am

Taavi Suhonen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2008 at 3:00pm | IP Logged | 12  

Some Donald Duck comic, probably. The first comic I remember specifically is the Finnish issue of Transformers which reprinted US issues 48 and 49.

Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version