Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: "Your" definitive character creative teams (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2008 at 4:11am | IP Logged | 1  

What is the creative team that you think of when you think of a character? Whose voice (in the writerly sense) do you hear when you think of the character. What image comes to mind?

I'm not looking for who defined the character or the best run or whatever. Just who YOU personally think of when you think of a character.

Captain America.

Mark Gruenwald knew Steve Rogers and to him I think Steve Rogers was a real person and it came through in his writing. Loved most of his run and truly believe he nailed Cap's voice.

Ron Lim on art duties. His Captain America was big and bulky but he looked like he could move.

Spider-Man.

Stan Lee. His Peter and his Spidey were simply spot on and I don't think anybody else has gotten it quite as right since.

Mark Bagley. That Spidey is Spidey. Fun and light and always in motion.

Superman.

John Byrne for both, I simply believe he captured the essence of the character.

Hawkman. Geoff Johns and Joe Kubert.

Batman.

Alan Grant though this is a tough one for me, I'm not sure if there's a definitive writer for me.

Neal Adams is the Bat God. But his Batman isn't what I see when I think of the character, that goes to Jim Aparo.

Daredevil.

Ann Nocenti and John Romita Jr, loved that run and think Ms. Nocenti's writing is underappreciated. Probably because JR's art is so perfect that its hard to notice how good the writing is.

Flash. Geoff Johns and Scott Kollins.

Fantastic Four.

Again I have to go with Mr. Byrne's (excellent) work. Though I have to admit I did enjoy Stan and Jack's run that I've read but when I hear and when I see the characters I see JB.

Avengers. Kurt Busiek and George Perez.

X-Men. Claremont but the art is a tie between Silvestri and Byrne (I was reading classic X-men at the same time as the regular x-men when I was a kid).

So what about it? What creator do you think solidified a character for you to such an extent that you always associate that character with that creator?

Back to Top profile | search

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2008 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 2  

Captain America...Jack Kirby. I think Jack really enjoyed Cap. Jack drew so many fantastic battle sequences, hand to hand and otherwise, with Cap that you get the sense that Jack had a blast setting them up.

Moon Knight...Bill Sienkiewicz. It's just an unavoidable product of where the character made the most impact. I'll always see MK thus:

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2008 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 3  

Superman: JB

Fantastic Four: Lee and Kirby

Dr. Strange: Lee and Ditko

Spider-Man: Lee and Romita (only beating Ditko because of order of my exposure to them)

X-Men: Claremont/Byrne/Austin

Dracula: Wolfman and Colan

Batman: O'Neil and Adams

Hawkman : Kubert

Flash: Infantino and Broome

Avengers: Stern and Buscema

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2008 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 4  

For the X-Men: The ancient X-Men: Lee/Kirby, The New X-Men: Claremont/Byrne, and then Claremont/various, particulary Paul Smith & JRjr.

Spider-Man: Stan Lee & Roger Stern for the stories, a little bit of Bill Mantlo & Marv Wolfman too. David Michelinie for married Spidey. For the art: Ross Andru, John Romita jr, Sal Buscema. Steve Ditko & JR senior.

Captain America: Lee/Kirby for the war time, Englehart/Sal Buscema & Roger Stern/JB for the "present" time.

Iron Man: Michelinie/RomitaJr/Layton. (with help of Jerry Bingham).

Thor: Lee/Kirby, John Buscema. Walt Simonson, Sal  Buscema.

The Avengers Lee/Kirby, Roy Thomas/Buscema brothers, Roger Stern.

The Fantastic Four: Lee/Kirby, Thomas/Perez, Byrne.

Marvel Team Up: Bill Mantlo/Sal Buscema, Chris Claremont/John Byrne.

Hulk: Len Wein/Herb Trimpe, Bill Mantlo Sal Buscema, Peter David/Dale McKeon/Gary Frank.

Batman: Len Wein/Irv Novick & Don Newton, Frank Miller/David Mazuchelli, Moench/Gullacy/Austin.

Superman: JB (pre-crisis mythology more interesting, but i didn't like the stories and didn't care for the art. Pre-crisis+JB would heve been perfect.)

Flash: Carmine Infantino. John Broome. Cary Bates did many good stories too before losing it.

The Legion of Super-Heroes: Shooter/Manapul. (never was a fan of the Legion till now.)

Daredevil: Jim Shooter/Gil Kane, Frank Miller/David Mazuchelli, Ann Nocenti John Romita Jr. Gene Colan.

Spider-Woman: Gruenwald/Infantino.

WW2 Super-Heroes comics other than solo cap: Roy Thomas.

Doctor Strange: Lee/Ditko. (best Ditko art ever and a perfect fit to the character and his universe.)

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 26 January 2008 at 5:18pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2008 at 9:28pm | IP Logged | 5  

Definitive creative teams, those for whom all others' approaches to the characters are simply variations to me, include:

Batman: Haney and Aparo on Brave and the Bold
Justice League: Gardner Fox and Mike Sekowsky (God bless tabloid-sized reprint books.)
Avengers: Shooter, Micheline, Wenzel, and Marcos.  (I came in during the Korvac Saga.)
Fantastic Four: Lee and Kirby (although I've never enjoyed the book more than I did during those early Byrne issues.)
Legion of Super-Heroes: In the 60's, it was Shooter and Swan.  In the 70's, Levitz and Staton.  (Even as a kid, I recognized that an era had passed between the two books, and treated them separately, for the most part.)
Spider-Man: Lee and Romita. (The Spider-Man who appeared on the merchandising was the "definitive" Spider-Man to my young eyes.  Ditko's was intriguing, bizarre even, and clearly made the character who and what he was visually, but I only learned that later.)
New Teen Titans: Wolfman and Perez.
Captain America: DeMatteis and Zeck.
Doctor Strange: Lee and Ditko.
Thor: Thomas, Buscema, and Palmer.
Justice Society: Levitz and Staton.
X-Men: Claremont and Byrne.
Deadman: Jose Garcia Lopez
Daredevil: Miller and Mazzuchelli.  (The DD of "Born Again" looked somehow even more "right" than the Miller/Janson take to me at the time.)
Black Canary: Alex Toth.  (I've always wanted to see her looking that good again...)
Wonder Woman: Brian Bolland (A series I bought for months and months just to own the covers.)
Conan: Thomas and Buscema
Hulk: Sal Buscema's, regardless of the writer.  Len Wein, I believe, did the majority of those I read when I met the character.
Superman: Curt Swan, especially when paired with Weisinger's 60's era staff of writers.  A great many 70's era tales written by Bates, Maggin, and Pasko seem "dead-on" to me as well.

The entire Marvel line, when drawn by Romita, John Buscema, or Byrne look "right" to me.
For DC, it's Dick Giordano and Jose Garcia Lopez.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Murphy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2008 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 6  

X-Men - Claremont/Byrne
FF - Byrne
Moon Knight - Moench/Sienkiewicz
Thor- Simonson
The Question - O'Neil/Cowen
Batman - no one writer but Alan Grant comes closest, artists - either Breyfogle, Aparo or Neal Adams
Wonder Woman - Perez
Daredevil - Miller
Titans - Wolfman/Perez
Legion of Superheroes - Levitz/Giffen
Green Lantern - Johns/ Reis
Hawkman - Kubert
Hulk - PAD
Black Canary and Oracle - Simone

There are some major characters that I never get that feeling from such as Superman, Spider-Man and Captain America

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2008 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 7  

Michael Murphy just brought back a FLOOD of good memories... sigh, I hate you now, Michael.

John Angelo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2008 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 8  

Slaine the Berserker - Pat Mills & Mike (Mick) McMahon.
From the wonderful Sky Chariots storyline. My favorite graphic novel/collection.

Edited by John Angelo on 27 January 2008 at 11:57am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Teod Tomlinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2008 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 9  

I am a visual guy, so I'll post pics.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Teod Tomlinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2008 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 10  

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hunt