Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Hank Pym - Wife Beater (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2007 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 1  

"I'm inclined to agree with Paulo.  At the time, that one panel slap might not have been seen as wife beating.  It was only after the fact that it was realized this was very bad."

No, it was intended. I don't have access to the issue but if someone could post the panels where Jan's blackeye is revealed to the rest of the Avengers I would appreciate it. It clearly indicates that this was an incident of domestic abuse. The other Avengers are so shocked and ashamed for Hank that they are left speechless.

I agree with you both that it is a storyline that should never have made it past the editors desk, though.

Back to Top profile | search

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2007 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 2  

QUOTE:
I agree with you both that it is a storyline that should never have made it past the editors desk, though.

Yes, I think we can all agree that it's a lousy way to treat a character.

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2007 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 3  

If Speedy can come back from drug use then I'm guessing Hank will turn
around sooner or later. Hopefully the journey will make Hank a stronger
character in the end.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2007 at 10:18pm | IP Logged | 4  

Here you go -

Back to Top profile | search | www

Scott McKeeve
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2007 at 11:02pm | IP Logged | 5  

Thanks, Robert.

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2007 at 3:37am | IP Logged | 6  

<<Also, I never read the Crossing story, but I'm sure I heard someone say that in it was revealed that Kang had tried to mind control Pym, and his instability around this time was the result of him fighting it off.  I know this also lead to Kang actually mind controlling Tony Stark, but once I heard that I thought it pretty much excused Hank because he was clearly not responsible for his own actions AND it showed considerable willpower.  If anything is ever referenced from the Crossing, it should be that.>>

Yes, the Crossing did reveal Kang as the cause of Hank's breakdowns.  Problem is that Busiek retconned that in Avengers Forever in trying to fix Tony.

But that's the type of thing you need.  Somethng that removes Hank's culpability for this behavior.  It seems that some here already feel that way with how the story was told.  That Hank was not in his right mind and shouldn't be held accountable.  I would prefer that it be definitive and clearcut that some outside force was controlling him. 

Not referencing things doesn't work with me.  I'm not going to forget Sins Past because they stop referencing it.  Same with Reed and Civil War.
Undo his culpability for the behavior like they did with Hal to make him Green Lantern again.

Might it come off as forced in doing it?  Maybe, but no more so than the shitty stories that were allowed to see print that did the damage in the first place.

Michael Huber
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2007 at 7:53am | IP Logged | 7  

He wasn't in his right mind when he originally donned that outfit. It's no stretch to think it's related.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2007 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 8  

Yeah. When he first showed up as Yellow Jacket he acted like a huge jerk and in the course of it told the Avengers that he had KILLED Hank Pym. (From a certain point of view).

Wasp was the only one who figured out it was him.

She agreed to marry him. The Avengers all went nuts trying to figure out why she didn't seem upset about Hank getting killed and worse being willing to marry his murderer.

Eventually she reveals that yellow Jacket is Hank with amnesia who is acting so strangely because he accidently inhaled some toxic fumes. She apparently played along with him for fear that the shock of recovering his memory too quickly would be harmful.

It was one hell of a weird story.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2007 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 9  

Yes, very weird.  Was there anything about punishing him for the "murder?"

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2007 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 10  

Well a lot of the team wanted to sock his lights out, tear his mask off, and put him on trial but Jan wouldn't let them so they just stared on slack jawed, fighting their nausea and disorientation.

(Sort of like I did while watching the end of Spider-Man 3.)

It was kind of a suspension of disbelief lubricated story where the naturally occuring friction of the situation was kind of glossed over to keep the plot gears turning and keep the reader off balance.

It was like one of those freaky teaser Superman covers where having lost a bet with Batman he HAS to eat Pete Ross's brain with a spoon and throw Lana Lang into a live volcano because if he doesn't he'll be the laughing stock of Gotham city! You just roll with it and hope it either works out to make sense in the end or turns out to be a dream sequence or something.

Luckily it turned out that Yellow Jacket was a temporary amnesia psychosis state brought on by fumes and no one got tied to a rail road track. Plus I think Marvel needed to show Yellow Jacket handing out a beating on some of the Avengers so people would be impressed with his shocking debut before they revealed he was really just Hank Pym trippin' and a wedding plot in progress.

Sadly this, the Ultron Debacle, and the Oh God I can never shrink again, and "Here Hawkeye...you be Goliath for a while" stuff  all sort of combines with "Hank Pym manipulative, wife beating, robot jobbing idiot" and the later "Hank Pym..sort of child kidnapper" and "Hank Pym in jail" to paint a picture of a real screwed up  barely functional ultra-bipolar pretending to be a superhero sometimes( I guess during the maniacal state) and flaking out and hating himself the rest of the time. Apparently some people, having smelled the irresistable stink of that particular turd,  keep digging it up from where better writers have buried it.

Edited by Emery Calame on 30 December 2007 at 1:34pm

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2007 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 11  

That's some strange stuff.  I've got to read these stories now if for nothing else than out of morbid curiosity.

(And just the end?)

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2007 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 12  

Well Paulo the End of SM3 was so WRONG and insanely mishandled that it blew the rest of the movie's flaws away. Spoiler:Talking to the lesser bad guy for ten minutes while he wines about not really being a bad guy and forgiving him for killing Uncle Ben by accident...sort of...while your recently reformed best friend (who saved your life and your estranged terrorized girlfriend's at the cost of his own, after you fed him his own grenade and convinced him that his daddy never loved him AFTER whipping his ass in his own house because he wouldn't quit screwing with you) is dying in your really fightened girlriend's arms ....that HAS to gorssly violate some kind of heroic ...code of...etiquette or something. It just has to.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version