Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Hank Pym - Wife Beater (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2007 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 1  

I was reading JB's rewind thread earlier today and I noticed many of the suggestions posted were to rewind the Marvel Universe to just prior to an unpopular event, respectively.

In that same spirit, I always thought that "Hank Pym - Wife Beater" was unfair at best, bad writing at worst and just plain dishonest. I read it when it was first published and was cautiously intrigued. The topic seemed to have come out of nowhere but abuse often does. I was hoping the story would go somewhere and a some form of dialgoue would result, both inside and outside the book. This would eventually happen for Tony Stark and his problems but, unfortunately, this was not to going to happen for Pym. I don't know if it was Jim Shooter's intention but he essentially set in motion a series of events that ruined Hank Pym.

Now, years later, the character of Hank Pym seems beyond redemption. Every once in a while, his abuse of Jan is used as a bad plot device. In the Ultimates, Mark Millar's take on the character is one of an obsequious, insecure weasel from Day 1. Hank actually doesn't hit Jan until well into the run, though. In Volume II, Hank's now a turncoat traitor, guilty of sedition and conspiracy. In the mainstream Marvel Universe, Hank has not fared much better.

And this is where I find the problem. If you want to turn a hero bad, fine. But if you want to use something as commonplace and personal as domestic abuse, then be true to your source. Most abusers were themselves abused. Most abusers are not conniving, little reprobates. Like alcoholics and other forms off mental illness, abuse can be found in all social classes, regardless of wealth, education, etc. The truly scary thing about abuse is that it can exist where you least expect it.

Peter David showed this as the source of the Hulk's rage. And PD did it effectively showing therapy sessions and the consequences of abuse to those around you. But Pym's abuse is a bad CBS Sunday Night Movie treatment with Valerie Bertinelli or Meredith Baxter Bernie. The whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Anybody else miss "Tales To Astonish"?

Back to Top profile | search

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2007 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

It's unfortunate, but I doubt you can expect more than juvenile tripe at best from Marvel or DC right now. I wouldn't let it bring you down.

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2007 at 7:55pm | IP Logged | 3  

Millar and Bendis are the two writers most responsible for Hank Pym's current lousy rep. The single incident of Hank striking Jan occurred something like twenty years ago, and it was used as an indication of how far Hank was slipping into a nervous breakdown. While that doesn't necessarily excuse the occurrence of domestic violence, I believe it was implied that Egghead had quite a bit to do with pushing Hank over the edge.

Since that time Hank has more than redeemed himself as a member of the West Coast Avengers and of the Avengers proper, both as a hero and a scientist. He had even gotten back together with Jan  on a  fairly permanent  basis until Bendis came along. Now he's portrayed as a dodgy fuckup, and even his fellow Avengers don't trust his heroic abilities or his science.

Seems to me, I recall a certain armored Avenger who became a dangerous alcoholic, shot a repulsor beam straight through the chest of  a foreign diplomat when his armor got taken over, created several international incidents by tracking down and reclaiming his stolen armor technology, set into motion events that got Captain America killed, and was just recently taken over by Ultron.

But the Avengers have complete faith in Tony Stark. Talk about bad writing.

Edited by Ron Chevrier on 27 December 2007 at 7:55pm

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2007 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 4  

Really a shame what's been done to Hank Pym.  They just can't seem to let the wife-beater angle go.

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2007 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 5  

It should have been a one-time only plot element, now it's one of the defining notes of his character.

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2007 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 6  

"The Court-Martial of Yellowjacket" (or whatever the story was called) was my introduction to Hank Pym (at age 10, I think!) so it's hard for me not to think of Hank as, at least, unstable. I thought Roger Stern's stories after Shooter left Avengers effectively redeemed Hank, though other writers -- Steve Englehart comes to mind -- still depicted him as prone to bouts of serious mental anguish (over Ultron, among other things).

Brian Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2007 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 7  

Pym was a wife beater before I started reading comics, so I have always known him as such.  For that I have never been able to like the character.

Yvonne Christian
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2007 at 9:16pm | IP Logged | 8  

I've seen so many stories with Hank as a hero like the Marvel Team-Up with him, The Wasp, and Spider-Man taking on Equinox and him helping The Thing, Daredevil, and The Vision against the Mad Thinker in  Marvel-Two-In-One.  I always wondered why so much focus on this single story of him hitting Janet and giving her a blackeye.  
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

William Lukash
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2007 at 9:47pm | IP Logged | 9  

What I don't get is why Hank is a wife beater, but nowdays heroes dont' think twice about punching a female villain.  I guess its better if you don't beat your wife?

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2007 at 9:55pm | IP Logged | 10  

I just remember that it was Jim Shooter who introduced Pym as a wife beater and I just ignore it like I do all of his writing...

"There are no bad characters only bad writers"
Neal Adams

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2007 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 11  

What I don't get is why Hank is a wife beater, but nowdays heroes dont'
think twice about punching a female villain. I guess its better if you don't
beat your wife?

++++++++++++++++
Villian is the key word. It's not appropriate to punch anyone, man or woman.
If however you're doing it to prevent a larger crime or someone taking over
the world, then it's the lesser evil. Beating your wife/husband is
wrong(unless they're committing a crime, don't marry Egghead or killer
frost.)

Edited by Paul Kimball on 27 December 2007 at 10:35pm

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2007 at 11:47pm | IP Logged | 12  

Millar is a dark force in comics IMO.  He won't be satisfied until there's no difference between heroes and villains.  

Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version