Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Q for Forum - Is your favorite version the wrong one? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 1  

Yeah, that whole Captain America thing sucks, but this is like if they launched a new secondary Captain America title with a #1 and continued the previous volume as Captain Jubilee for a few months. It makes no sense.
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Heide
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 7:47pm | IP Logged | 2  

But if they had the red Hulk in the main book, Hercules would only get the boost of the #1-issue. By renaming Incredible Hulk "Incredible Hercules" and continuing the numbering until he gets his own book (with a #1), Hercules gets two sales boosts (and the Hulk(s) might even get a second ongoing).

Which is not a bad thing, by the way. That way, it's at least a bit more likely that a Hercules ongoing survives its first year. Because let's be serious: Two years ago, a Hercules ongoing series was about as likely as a Foggy Nelson solo book.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 12:50am | IP Logged | 3  

Favorite Green Lantern: Kyle, then Alan. I don't care for Hal that much.

Favorite Flash: Jay, then Barry, then Wally.

My three favorite Marvel heroes used to be Captain America, Iron Man and Spider-Man, in that order. Before he was killed off, Cap was the only one of the three I still cared about, because Tony Stark has been messed up for quite a while now (and is pretty much now a super-villain, as far as I am concerned) and don't even get me started on Spider-Man (I like Peter being married to MJ and Aunt May knowing he's Spider-Man, but the whole "totem" thing is a load of bs and just about all of JMS' work on Spidey should be tossed out of continuity - especially the Gwen and Norman stuff)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Lopez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 1:10am | IP Logged | 4  

I occasionally talk comics with a guy from work, and for a while, he kept referring to the "real" Fantastic Four - not the characters as they currently appear in the book. I was certain he was referring to "real" in the "they don't behave like they used to" sense, or even in the "Lee/Kirby" or "John Byrne" sense, but when I asked him to elaborate, he informed me that by "real" he was talking about the Fantastic Four as they'd appeared in the few issues of the FF he'd ever actually read back in the '90's - the Fantastic Four that was comprised of Spider-Man, the Hulk, Wolverine and Ghost Rider - and not that "Mr. Plastic Fantastic Man, or that dude made of rocks".

Yeesh.

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 5  

Here's a story for you.

When I was in high school, I remember a math teacher, Mr. McEllevenney, and we all knew he was a big Superman fan.  When JB moved to DC to do MOS, my friend Doug and I used to walk by him in the hallway and say, "John Byrne."

(Continued below)

Edited by Ted Pugliese on 18 November 2007 at 10:35am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 6  

We thought he would know what we were doing or who we were talking about.

10 years later, I was back at my high school to student teach, and I was talking to Mr. McEllevenney about Superman, comics, and John Byrne.  He was not a John Byrne fan, that is he did not know who he was, and he surely did not remember two kids dropping his name everytime we saw him.  Turns out he was a big Silver Age fan, so I would bring in many of my key silver Age issues to show him.

10 more years later, I get the principal job at my old high school.  Evidently, Mr. M googles my name and discovers that I am on the John Byrne Forum.  He relates this information to a current, long-time teacher, Dr. G who approaches me about Superman.  Turns out he is a Silver Age fan too (These guys are in their 50s).  I explain the John Byrne Forum to him and we discuss MOS.  As you might imagine, Dr. G thinks Superman should be all-powerful and should never have been weekend.  Admittedly, he is not as familiar with Superman's origins and might be interested in reading MOS.  I am going to lend him a trade before we continue this conversation.  But...

Edited by Ted Pugliese on 18 November 2007 at 10:43am

Mike Dunn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 7  

My favourite version is always the right one... for me.

m'dunn

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 7:17am | IP Logged | 8  

I hate hate HATE an all-powerful Superman.

It's why I never followed the character on a regular basis until MOS.

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 7:18am | IP Logged | 9  

Yesterday, I had to take my daughter to PA for photo shoot.  I buy the new issue of Action Comics featuring Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes for the trip.  Now I did not read Last Son, but it seems that Geoff Johns' version of Superman is heavily influenced by the movie version, and I do not think that is so bad.

As much as I loved JB's MOS, and I do love it, I can understand why the movie version would be the version to go with, and it's a good version, with a similar (don't nit-pick over the semantics, you know what I mean) Krypton and no Superboy (takes care of the legal issues).  The main difference is in young Clark, which we could/should ignore.

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 10  

Origins do not have to be retold, and probably shouldn't be retold.  Superman comics could be published right now that appear to feature both the movie Superman and MOS Superman.  The only way you really know the difference is when you flash back or try to clarify his back story, which IMO is not important.  Just move forward.  If someone depicts Krypton as looking the movie Krypton instead of JB's Krypton, who cares, as long as we know he came from Krypton.

Maybe he hung out in the future with the Legion, maybe he didn't.  What he did when he was in high school does not have to impact what he does now as Superman and a member of the Justice League.

In other words, what is the big deal?  These are comic books.  All these versions, including my first in Super Friends and the 50s TV show have the same basic concepts in common.  They are all easily recognized as Superman.

Sometimes I look back and wonder why so many people had to die over a book like the Bible.  Then I look at how zealous people are for their comics, and I think I get it.

Maybe we should get over ourselves.  Thoughts?

Edited by Ted Pugliese on 18 November 2007 at 11:23am

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 11  

Maybe I should have included this.

If you did not read JB's MOS, couldn't/wouldn't you have been able to read his Superman & Action Comics and still enjoy them and not even think that something had been changed?  Probably.

Edited by Ted Pugliese on 18 November 2007 at 11:24am

Jeremiah Hetherington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2007 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 12  

Sadly, my favorite Batman seems to be the wrong one. I love the 60s -80s "blue" Batman that Infantino, Adams and Garcia-Lopez (among others) depicted. The dashing, not-so-grim hero with the bright yellow oval on his chest. I like Batman as a colorful "super hero" (with a bit of a grin on his face), But my tastes have fallen out of favor. Or maybe the Dark Knight has gone back to his roots. (Too far back? Beyond the pendulum swing?) Thanks to a treasury edition my mother gave me when I was 8, I was able to read the earliest stories, and certainly Batman was a dark avenger then. But that very edition reprinted the Sprang stories, and oh man, that's when I went nuts for Batman (No oval then though).  

Edited by Jeremiah Hetherington on 17 November 2007 at 8:28am

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version