Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Q for Forum - Is your favorite version the wrong one? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2007 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 1  

My favorite version of the Punisher (the one by Garth Ennis in his MAX book) is probably the "wrong one" in many eyes. But for me, he just seems more right than ever before. A darker, more seriuos Frank Castle, that never leaves any prisoners.
Back to Top profile | search

Frank Balkin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2007 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 2  

Sergio - thank you for the reminder!  I think for me, too, THE INCREDIBLE HULK TV series is the definitive version of that character.

This is kind of related - my first exposure to many of the DC Super-Heroes was the initial SUPER FRIENDS TV series.  When I read Superman, Batman, Robin, Wonder Woman, or Aquaman in a comic book, I "hear" the voices of those actors.  And I always hear the voice of whoever voiced Spider-Man in the 60s TV series when I read Spider-Man comics.

David Kingsley Kingsley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2007 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 3  

My favorite iterations of Superman, Clark Kent, Lex Luthor, and Krypton are, by far, JBs. JB and Claremont's X-Men I also found superior to those issues I had read which had preceded it.

I prefered Alan Moore's Swamp Thing to Len Wein's.

Miller's Daredevil.

Millar's Spider-Man and Norman Osborn.

Ennis' Punisher.

And Alan Moore, I am somewhat sheepish to say, wrote the best Spirit story that I have ever read: "Last Night I Dreamed of Dr. Cobra"

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2007 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 4  

Normally, I like Ed McGuiness' artwork, but that "Red Hulk" image is butt-
ugly.

Anthony Dean Kotorac
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2007 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 5  

John Byrne's Superman

My Batman is the Batman in Frank Miller's 'Millerverse' (Year One, All Star Bats, DKR, DKSA and the upcoming holy Terror) just for the rawness of it.

Jim Spencer
Byrne Robotics Member
Unimaginative Troll

Posted: 15 November 2007 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 6  

I like the 'red' Hulk idea but that image isn't very good.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2007 at 9:13pm | IP Logged | 7  

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=12388

I've been calling for a solo Hercules book for a long long time.

I'm a bit confused on why Hercules picks up the Hulk's numbering for a title branching out of WORLD WAR HULK. And I'm surprised it isn't a Number One to somehow jump on that speculator wagon.

The whole Hulk thing has escaped me. I'm happy about Hercules drawing some popularity after thirty years or more, but I'm not sure from the article what Marvel's plan is. Sounds like someone lost a bet or something.

Walter Skidmore
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 8  

Frank Balkin wrote:

This is kind of related - my first exposure to many of the DC Super-Heroes was the initial SUPER FRIENDS TV series.  When I read Superman, Batman, Robin, Wonder Woman, or Aquaman in a comic book, I "hear" the voices of those actors.  And I always hear the voice of whoever voiced Spider-Man in the 60s TV series when I read Spider-Man comics.

----------

I'm the same way when it comes to hearing the voices of those characters in my head when I read them.  Of particular note is Spider-Man and his Amazing friends, which I loved but what was got me thinking that Spider-Man's costume was red and blue rather than red and black.

Michael Heide
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 9  

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=12388

I've been calling for a solo Hercules book for a long long time.

I'm a bit confused on why Hercules picks up the Hulk's numbering for a title branching out of WORLD WAR HULK. And I'm surprised it isn't a Number One to somehow jump on that speculator wagon.

The whole Hulk thing has escaped me. I'm happy about Hercules drawing some popularity after thirty years or more, but I'm not sure from the article what Marvel's plan is. Sounds like someone lost a bet or something.

This is only temporary. While Bruce Banner is out of the picture (or running around as the red Hulk, we still don't know who he is, after all), Marvel doesn't want to cancel the long-running Incredible Hulk book. So they give it to Hercules, who has become a supporting character in recent months anyway. My guess is that Bruce is the red Hulk. But he won't be red forever. This is one of those "Electric Blue Superman" things that will upset the status quo for a while - in order for the creative team to figure out that they need the status quo after all. And at the time the Edward Norton Hulk movie will come out, the Hulk will be green again and return to his original book (and perhaps to his original numbering). If the "Red Hulk" book sells extraordinarily well, they will probably consider turning someone else into the Red Hulk. If the "Incredible Hercules" book sells extraordinarily well, he will get his own series, most likely with the same creative team (and a new #1).

Greg Scarborough
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 10  

When I think of Spider-man, I think of the Electric Company version. I like how he didn't have a secret identity and how he spat out word balloons over people's heads instead of actually talking. And his only super power was his webs.

To me, that will always be the REAL Spidey.

Lance Hill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 7:08pm | IP Logged | 11  

QUOTE:
This is only temporary. While Bruce Banner is out of the picture (or running around as the red Hulk, we still don't know who he is, after all), Marvel doesn't want to cancel the long-running Incredible Hulk book. So they give it to Hercules, who has become a supporting character in recent months anyway

But it would make much more sense to put the new Hulk in the Incredible Hulk book.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2007 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 12  

But it would make much more sense to put the new Hulk in the Incredible Hulk book.

Seems to be a trend. Read Captain America lately?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version