The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8
Topic: Your Own TPB (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2007 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 1  

Chad wrote:
"
THE INCREDIBLE HULK: THEY WHO WIELD POWER (INCREDIBLE HULK 231-243, CAPTAIN AMERICA 230) by Roger Stern and Sal Buscema...the greatest Hulk run of all time, period. Cap, Machine Man, Goldbug, and the return of the Hulk's greatest enemy. Just beautiful.

O that's a great choice, Chad! Actually the first copy of the Swedish Hulk comic book that I picked up reprinted some of those early issues. I've noticed that the cover they used was that of Captain America # 230. And the content had that great story at Alcatraz with Hulk and Quasar and Cap and the Falcon and Animus/a whatever...
Personally I so hope that Marvel keep releasing the Hulk Essentials so that they'll include Sal Buscema's stellar run. That Hulk is soooo my Hulk.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2007 at 8:24pm | IP Logged | 2  

QUOTE:
1. I have just read Tarzan of the Apes in a beautiful edition from 1975 (as old as I am) with a cover by Neal Adams. Now the cover has awakened a vague and distant memory from my childhood of reading a Tarzan comic in Swedish which as far as I recall reminds me of Adams' interpretation of the character. Now I've gone through the checklist on Neal Adams website and found a little ERB materia by Adams listedl there but nothing that I can 100% confirm as Tarzan. I've discussed this with Michael Connell elsewhere and he was also of the mind that Adams were doing some Tarzan stuff for DC in the 70s, any insight you guys can provide would be appreciated.

To my knowledge Adams didn't do any work on DC's ERB titles or strips. Outside of the book covers the only Adams Tarzan work I can recall is a mini-comic that came with a model kit. I bought one in the mid-seventies so it would be of the right vintage.

QUOTE:
2. I saw that someone mentioned a Pellucidar comic above, which brings me to my other question. As my Tarzan memories have started resurfacing I find myself remembering a beautiful hardbound edition in Swedish publication which I think featured Tarzan but at the very least featured what must be Pellucidar from I've been able to deduce (prehistoric world, ape people (possibly blue) with tails, etc (vague memories as stated) – would anyone know what this could be? Are there any Tarzan in Pellucidar comics or what is the Pellucidar comic mentioned about? Who wrote and drew it? Where could I possibly find this?

I'm pretty sure Russ Manning did an adaptation of ERB's "Tarzan At The Earth's Core". Possibly for the Tarzan Sunday strip. So that might be what you saw. DC reprinted some of Manning's work when Tarzan was 100 Pager back in the 1970s. 

One interesting thing about ERB was that most of his major characters inhabited the same universe. Connected for the most part by the "Gridley Wave." Too bad he never wrote "Tarzan on Mars" or "Tarzan on Venus"

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kurt Anderson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2007 at 8:55pm | IP Logged | 3  

Burne Hogarth did a Pellucidar storyline in the late 40's, Doug Wildey did a short run of stories for the Gold Key Tarzan book in 68, Russ Manning did it in the strips in the early 70's, Buscema did a short Tarzan visit to Pellucidar in the Marvel series, Gray Morrow did it in the strip in the 80's, Walt Simonson did a Tarzan VS Predator at the Earth's Core, Mike Grell did the dark Tarzan series that ended up in Pellucidar, Tom Yeates continued that story in Dark Horse Presents, Morrow did it in the strip once again in '99.

Kubert never did a Pellucidar story (probably because DC had a seperate David Innes story going on as a back-up feature).  DC reprinted some of the Manning strips, and had Tarzan in Pellucidar in one of the Tarzan Family issues, but not by Kubert.

Back to Top profile | search

Dwight Evans
Byrne Robotics Member
Fake Name

Posted: 27 October 2007 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 4  

I own a couple of the trades that people are mentioning, the key being the phrase out of print.  I have an Avengers Korvac Saga, and a Project Pegasus.

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2007 at 5:49am | IP Logged | 5  

Mike Norris wrote:
"To my knowledge Adams didn't do any work on DC's ERB titles or strips. Outside of the book covers the only Adams Tarzan work I can recall is a mini-comic that came with a model kit. I bought one in the mid-seventies so it would be of the right vintage."

Well, according to the checklist on Neal Adams' homepage, he did do two issues ? # 2 (October/November 1972) & # 3 (December/January 1972/73) ? of WEIRD WORLDS OF EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS for DC. The two stories or installments of the story(?) (written by Len Wein, I may add)are listed as "Slaves of the Mahars" and "Temple of the Damned" (12 pgs each). I am not sure whether these tales are actually Tarzan stories, but they are clearly ERB stories (and may well be the Adams material I saw when a child).

He's also listed as gaving inked the covers of Marvel's TARZAN # 11 & # 12 over John Buscema's pencils. But then we're back to covers.

Mike also wrote:
"I'm pretty sure Russ Manning did an adaptation of ERB's "Tarzan At The Earth's Core". Possibly for the Tarzan Sunday strip. So that might be what you saw. DC reprinted some of Manning's work when Tarzan was 100 Pager back in the 1970s."

That could be it. I was fairly small and young when I saw the volume, but remember the Swedish publication as a HC volume, and what I remember most are vague images of these intelligent apes with their tails which they used when fighting... does that seem right for the story?

And also:
"One interesting thing about ERB was that most of his major characters inhabited the same universe. Connected for the most part by the 'Gridley Wave.' Too bad he never wrote 'Tarzan on Mars' or 'Tarzan on Venus'"

While it's obviously not original ERB material, Mike, while hunting for answers to my initial queries, I do believe I've spotted a Dark Horse TPB (collecting a mini series) entitled Tarzan and John Carter of Mars. But I agree it'd've been interesting to see what ERB would have done with that idea.

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing JB do some ERB stuff. I think his artistic sensibilities are well suited for that task. And when it comes to Tarzan... I just love JB drawn apes.

Kurt – Thanks for the extensive listing. My spontaneous guess would be that it's the Manning material I've seen, though it could possibly be Buscema or Morrow depending on how late in the 80's these guys did the job (and allowing for some time for it to travel across the Atlantic and translation circuits, etc). My guess would be that I came across the stuff in the swedish edition sometime between 1979–1985.

Dwight Evans
Byrne Robotics Member
Fake Name

Posted: 28 October 2007 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 6  

This came out in 1988.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2007 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
Joakim Jahlmar

Well, according to the checklist on Neal Adams' homepage, he did do two issues ? # 2 (October/November 1972) & # 3 (December/January 1972/73) ? of WEIRD WORLDS OF EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS for DC. The two stories or installments of the story(?) (written by Len Wein, I may add)are listed as "Slaves of the Mahars" and "Temple of the Damned" (12 pgs each). I am not sure whether these tales are actually Tarzan stories, but they are clearly ERB stories (and may well be the Adams material I saw when a child).

I did some checking at the GCD site. Turns out those stories were ones Adams helped ink over Alan Weiss pencils. He was part of a group credited as the "Crusty Bunkers" and included artists like Adams,  Frank Brunner and Bernie Wrightson. They would get together to help each other out of dreaded deadline dooms, IICR. The stories in question were part of the Pellucidar strip.

Peter Svensson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2007 at 9:56pm | IP Logged | 8  

1.Superman: Sandman Saga - collecting the O'Neil/Swanderson epic. And hey, let's include Walt Simonson's retelling of the story from the Superman Special one-shot.

2. Hawk and Dove: The Beginning - Collecting the original Ditko and Gil Kane series. It's short enough to count as a single storyline by today's standards.

3. Shazam: Monster Society of Evil - Yes, it was reprinted once upon a time, but it's now way out of print. A classic golden age epic should be available.

4. Justice League International: Breakdowns - So I like the Giffen era Justice League. It's the first league I was exposed to.

5. Green Lantern: Crisis - The Englehart/Staton Crisis on Infinite Earths tie-in, with Hal, Guy and John together for the first time ever!

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2007 at 1:57am | IP Logged | 9  

Thanks, Mike! Then the only option would be that the mini-comic you mentioned was somehow published in Sweden in the regular comic... or that some Tarzan artist was heavily influenced by Adams and hence in this much retrospective comes across as Adams himself in my mind.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2007 at 2:43am | IP Logged | 10  

Weiss and a lot of the "Crusty Bunker" guys did have styles similar to Adams. With Adams inking it might be even more so.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 8
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version