Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Your Own TPB (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2007 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 1  

Holy crap - When was this Weiss Pelucidar published?!? I've gotta see that! I adore Weiss's stuff. I've even gone to lengths to scan and share with others one of my favorite childhood experiences with Weiss artwork....the sci-fi chiller, Howl!

Early 1970s. It was a backup in DCs Korak, Son of Tarzan book. Later the feature was moved to Weird Worlds and later Tarzan Family. Though Weiss did not draw the later stories.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Angelo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2007 at 9:38pm | IP Logged | 2  

Then I'd like to see all those DC Tarzan titles reprinted. I know Dark Horse is
covering Kubert's Tarzan in a format that looks very similar to the DC
Archives. I may have to pick those up.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2007 at 9:39pm | IP Logged | 3  

I'd like to see trades where the creators pick the contents. For example, Joe Kubert's personal favorite Sgt. Rock stories, or Eisner's Spirit, or whatever Adams considers his own best Batman work. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2007 at 6:08am | IP Logged | 4  

While we're on the subject of Edgar Rice Burroughs material I have two questions that I've been meaning to ask you guys (and I may as well try them out in here first):

1. I have just read Tarzan of the Apes in a beautiful edition from 1975 (as old as I am) with a cover by Neal Adams. Now the cover has awakened a vague and distant memory from my childhood of reading a Tarzan comic in Swedish which as far as I recall reminds me of Adams' interpretation of the character. Now I've gone through the checklist on Neal Adams website and found a little ERB materia by Adams listedl there but nothing that I can 100% confirm as Tarzan. I've discussed this with Michael Connell elsewhere and he was also of the mind that Adams were doing some Tarzan stuff for DC in the 70s, any insight you guys can provide would be appreciated.

2. I saw that someone mentioned a Pellucidar comic above, which brings me to my other question. As my Tarzan memories have started resurfacing I find myself remembering a beautiful hardbound edition in Swedish publication which I think featured Tarzan but at the very least featured what must be Pellucidar from I've been able to deduce (prehistoric world, ape people (possibly blue) with tails, etc (vague memories as stated) – would anyone know what this could be? Are there any Tarzan in Pellucidar comics or what is the Pellucidar comic mentioned about? Who wrote and drew it? Where could I possibly find this?

Sorry for drifting off thread slightly – and I hope you don't mind, Matt, it's just that the questions really came to the top when I saw Pellucidar mentioned in here.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2007 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 5  

I'd like to see a couple of British comics collected in TPB format: 

Carlos Ezquerra's "Major Eazy" from "Battle";

"Hookjaw" from "Action";

Frank Bellamy's run on the "Garth" newspaper strip.

American comics: The original Charlton "E-Man" run complete with back-up strips, and JB's "Doomsday +1".

John Angelo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2007 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 6  

Paul, Loyd, okay, that Major Eazy series looks right up my alley. I'd love to
get my hands on them! I'm digging that Battle cover - great colors.

Joakim, I have no insight to assist you on your Adams/Tarzan question.
But I'd like to say that series of Tarzan books (Ballantine, IIRC) are the
awesome-est. My favorite Adams cover being Jewels of Opar and my favorite
Vallejo cover being the Lost Empire

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2007 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 7  

Five TPBs I'd put together:

1. Jack Kirby's THE LOSERS (OUR FIGHTING FORCES 151-162 1974-75)...I've only read one of these issues, but this is prime Kirby, in full on action mode, and I'm dying to lay hands on the rest. This is a significant chunk of 70s Kirby nobody talks about.
  2. THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER: VENDETTAS (STAR SPANGLED WAR STORIES 183-203 1974-77) by David Micheline and Gerry Talaoc...one of the greatest runs of any comic I've ever read. I defy anyone to read these stories and not get blown absolutely away. Plus, a cover gallery for the run, including Joe Kubert, Ernie Chan, and Rich Buckler.
  3. THE INCREDIBLE HULK: THEY WHO WIELD POWER (INCREDIBLE HULK 231-243, CAPTAIN AMERICA 230) by Roger Stern and Sal Buscema...the greatest Hulk run of all time, period. Cap, Machine Man, Goldbug, and the return of the Hulk's greatest enemy. Just beautiful.
  4. NEMESIS: THE SCALES OF JUSTICE (BRAVE AND THE BOLD 166-178, 180-193) by Cary Burkett and Dan Spiegle...I've heard good things and I feel like I'd love to link the Unknown Soldier and Nemesis as sort of a lineage of professional soldiers who alter their appearance on covert operations.
  5. THE BATMAN: LOVE AND SHADOWS (DETECTIVE COMICS 517, 528-538, 540-546 and 555-567, and BATMAN 340, 343-345, 348-351) by Gerry Conway and Gene Colan...when I was a kid, and still to this day, Gene Colan was my Batman artist, the only reason I ever picked up a Batman comic of any type. I don't own a single issue now, and only a few in my life, but all of them were wonderful and vibrant, carried by Colan in his prime IMO. The above cover may be one of the most beautiful Batman covers I've ever seen. I include what numbers I can of the Colan run, only because I don't know thematically which fit into this trade, as I've never read the bulk of them. Still...

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2007 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 8  

I really would like to see OMAC and The Demon reprinted by DC in archive form.

George Edwards
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2007 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 9  

Absolute Kirby OMAC- with OMAC related interviews by Kirby, if it exists. Pencils, sketches, articles, and insights on the current DC OMACS.

JB Omac- in color except for the WWII era scenes- in B&W.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2007 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 10  

Anyone mentioned Nth Man yet?

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2007 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 11  

I'll risk being stabbed to death this Christmas, but I'm going to go on a limb and suggest that I'd like a complete saga of the Spider-Man Clone War - so I can finally see, in one sitting, why, why, why.

Kurt Anderson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2007 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 12  

The original Calculator stories that ran as back-ups in Detective.

The Trials of Wonder Woman (her adventures monitored by the JLA as she proves herself post Diana Rigg).

DC Showcase Presents The Losers

Infinity Inc.

DC Showcase Presents Plop!

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version