Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Q to all : Strength level (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2007 at 5:43pm | IP Logged | 1  

Greg, constantly changing power levels to fit each story would not be a good idea, but I don't think readers need to know the exact amount Ben Grimm, Power Man, the Sub-Mariner, et al can bench press either.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2007 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 2  

Ben Grimm is a character whose strength levels have increased over the years. Much of it is due to his ever-mutating Thing condition, but there are many instances of him working out in the Baxter Building. You should not necessarily be able to say that he can lift "X" amount and no more, but you should be able to figure out where he stands in relation to other strong characters.
Back to Top profile | search

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2007 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 3  

My deal is that strength and fighting ability are disparate, except of course when it comes to knock-out power.

Bench-pressing and knock-out power, IMO, are connected, but not as much as people think. Strength is an incredient of knock-out power, not the prime source, something thugs like Mike Tyson learn as they start to deteriorate physically, in the real world. A different case in comics, most times.

Spider-Man is a unique case, since his "natural" spider agility enhances his knock-out power. It's technique from the hybrid of human/arachnid combined with super-strength that makes him unique.

Super strong fist-fighters like Hercules, Power Man, Ben Grimm, the Hulk, Hourman, Sub-Mariner, Earth-2 Superman, lack technique but use raw force that doesn't seem to deteriorate, as its source is limitless apparently.

Excellent technicians like Batman, Captain America, Iron Fist, Wildcat, Manhunter, Black Canary, all have superior knock-out power while lacking super strength...yet I can argue that any one of them can defeat a low-mid-level superhuman with their superior technique.

Then there's all kinds of superhumans who aren't known for pugilism, technique-wise, but have knock-out experience if not acumen, like the Vision, Wonder Man, Thor, Earth 1 Superman, She-Hulk, Martian Manhunter. They have power and style over technique, coupled with other aspects of their wide range of raw force, like molecular control and heat vision and so on.

So, what I mean is I think it's more important for writers to understand the character's fighting prowess more than their strength level, especially considering characters in the "superhuman" category. Other factors, like the Hulk's limitless supply of energy from rage, are what's most important when detailing strength vs strength. Straight up, I will always believe Ben Grimm could knock out the Hulk, if the Hulk did not have access to limitless energy. But since the Hulk does, unless this aspect is removed by the story, then Ben will always be defeated. ANYone will be defeated, in the long run, by the "engine" of the Hulk.

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2007 at 2:13am | IP Logged | 4  

Certainly, a fighter of Batman's calibre could do  damage to certain superhumans well above his strength level on the basis of skill alone. Karate Kid has no powers, but was inducted into the Legion because he could hold his own against Superboy with his "super martial arts".  

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2007 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 5  

"...but you should be able to figure out where he stands in relation to other strong characters."
---
Agreed, Ron.

"Karate Kid has no powers, but was inducted into the Legion because he could hold his own against Superboy with his 'super martial arts'."
---
No amount of martial arts skill (without additional super speed or super strength) should allow someone to hold his own against Superboy.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2007 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 6  

Hey, I don't write 'em! Alls I know is that Karate Kid is a master of many types of terrestrial and extra-terrestrial martial arts. Maybe he picked up something to deal with Kryptonians along the way? I know that he once delivered a blow that that was powerful enough to split Inertron, the DCU's Hardest Known Substance, so he must have some kind of a leg up on an ordinary Joe.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version