Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Q to all : Strength level (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2007 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 1  

Brian, I think there was a category above 'Unearthly' to cover guys such as Eternity and Galactus. Don't know what it would be called though.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Armindo Macieira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2007 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 2  

I always thought Power-Man was stronger than Spider-Man... maybe it's because he replaced the Thing in FF for sometime.

I always put him below Colossus and above Spider-man.

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2007 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 3  

Offhand, for DC Characters I'd rank them like so:

Spectre: While mostly a metaphysical being, he has held Earths 1 and 2 apart for extended periods of time on several occasions, so he rates inclusion, in my opinion. Anti-Monitor.

Superboy from Earth Prime, since he has pre-Crisis strength levels.

Superman, Bizarro, General Zod, Darkseid, Ultra Man,

Captain Marvel using the Shazam powers alone, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Power Girl, Super Girl, Wonder Girl, Orion, Big Barda, an adult Daxamite (like Sodam Yat in the Green Lantern Corps) Kalibak, Ultraa, Hercules, Cyborg Superman, Doom Patrol Robotman, Uncle Sam, Duplicate boy, Validus, Captain Nazi, Black Adam.

Mon El,  who is still in his teens so presumably hasn't developped his complete strength, Ultra Boy, most New Gods whose specialty is something other than physical. Vartox, Amazons, Doomsday, Red Star, Captain Atom, any two members of the Marvel Family who are sharing powers. Iron Munro, Damage (powered up)

Para Demons,  Khund warriors,  Red Tornado, Iron and Lead of the Metal Men, Aquaman, Geo Force, Metamorpho, the current version of Cyborg, DeSaad, Virmin Vundabar, Captain Comet, Rocket Red in Apokalips armor, Wildfire, Hourman (powered up), Colossal Boy (as giant), Metal Men as an alloy giant, Titania, Starfire .

Hawkman, Firestorm, Citizen Steel, Animal Man  and Vixen (powered up), All Star Squadron Robotman, Commander Steel,  Cadmus Project Guardian, Liberty Bell (powered up), Grodd .

Ragman, Plastic Man, Platinum of the Metal Men, Bulletman, Timber Wolf,  Captain Triumph, original appearance of Cyborg, Golden Age Atom late in his career.

Batman, Nightwing, Black Canary, Mr. Terrific (Terry Sloane), Golden Age Guardian, Black Lightning

Green Arrow, Adam Strange,  Stripesy,  Blue Beetle.

Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane, regular humans.

Naturally, this is general and incomplete. Part of the problem with DC"s characters is that they tend to have many powerhouses and fewer  "Peter Parker" level characters who are somewhere in the middle. Also, many of the middle-of- the-road strong guys have other specialties that they are better known for. Thus they do not rely on their strength as much,  like Aquaman or the Red Tornado. Within their own level, some characters are stronger than others, but at the upper levels, it's really hard to make a clear demarcation.

Back to Top profile | search

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2007 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 4  

Powerman lost royally to Spider-Man when the two met in the issue after Green Goblin's death. Twice in one issue.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2007 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 5  

I'd move Colossus, She Hulk, and Silver Surfer up.  Black Bolt and Namor should move down.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2007 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 6  

Maybe things changed when I wasn't looking...but Firestorm has super strength? Don't recall him ever doing anything but throw zaps and change molecular structurres.

Jeff Fettes
Byrne Robotics R&D

Posted: 25 October 2007 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 7  

I never really followed MARVEL UNIVERSE and all the trading cards, but based on how they have been WRITTEN in the comic books (which is the only thing that counts IMO) I would say:

1. Hulk, Thor, Wonderman, Hercules, Namor, Silver Surfer  
  2. Sasquatch, The Thing, Doc Samson, She-Hulk, Captain Britain
  3. Colossus, Vision, Powerman, Thundra, Black Bolt, Iron Man
  4. Spider-Man, Ghost Rider, Werewolf
  5. The Beast, Captain America, DD, Wolverine, ...

Keep in mind, having only 5 categories leaves your classifications pretty broad. The Beast is superhumanly strong -- he probably can heft 3 or 4 times the weight that Captain America can -- but they are similar when compared to Spider-Man.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2007 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 8  

Hmmm...  It's funny how many of us have read the same books, but come away with different interpretations of characters strength.  The Sub-Mariner is in the correct category at the top of the thread.  The Hulk is stronger than Namor, but at peak strength, his the sea monarch's is comparable.  He is clearly stronger than Ben Grimm.  I think Sasquatch should be among the top tier of strong guys as well.  I consider Power Man to be quite a bit stronger than Spider-Man, but not as strong as Colossus, Thing or She-Hulk.  The fact that one hero may have lost a fight to another doesn't necessarily mean the victor is stronger.  Sub-Mariner has defeated the Hulk.  So has iron Man.  I don't believe that either one of them is stronger than the jade giant.

Armindo Macieira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2007 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 9  

Spider-mas has a lot of other powers to rely on, in fact he hardly ever relies on his strenght to win a fight...

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2007 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 10  

Firestorm is likely on the low end of his strong person tier, much like the project Cadmus Guardian. He might even be on the next level down depending on which Firestorm you prefer, and who's in the driver's seat.

Elemental Firestorm is probably a different kettle of fish altogether. Like Swamp Thing and the bodiless "soul" of the Red Tornado the Tornado Champion,  these characters encompass whole forces of nature into their being. A  dandelion-sized Swamp Thing body naturally has less physical strength than if Swamp Thing took  over the entirety of planet Earth, for example.

We should also take note that Green Lantern rings are an unknown quantity when it comes to measuring strength levels. Guy Gardner once remarked that he was using his power ring to make himself stronger. Hal Jordan also appears to have accomplished something similar when he fought Mongul during the Return of Superman storyline. If the rings are limited only by the wearers'  willpower, Green Lanterns could possibly boost their strength to unheard of levels. A particularly canny GL with  advanced scientific knowledge might even find a way to make such a boost permanent.

While it is true that Spider-Man does not rely on strength as his chief resource, there have definitely been some classic moments when it was key to the story. The issue in which he had to hold up a section of  a building that had collapsed on top of him is foremost in my mind.

Edited by Ron Chevrier on 25 October 2007 at 9:22pm

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2007 at 10:58pm | IP Logged | 11  

What about the Beyonder?

Just kidding!

I'm willing to bet Galactus has a pretty strong... stomache.

OK.  It's late at night.  I'd better stop posting before I hurt myself.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2007 at 11:24pm | IP Logged | 12  

Didn't the Marvel Index actually put in quantifiable strength numbers for each character?  I seem to remember "So and so can bench press the equivalent of 10 tons" and such.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version