Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: JB at what specific incident did you stop liking Wolverine? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 October 2007 at 7:36am | IP Logged | 1  

A problem that has arisen in the past few decades is that comics are no longer being bought for the same reasons they used to be. Sure, there are still people who buy comics simply to read them, and back when those people represented the bulk, indeed, the entire audience, it was impossible for a character to be "overexposed". If, say, Superman appeared in five titles every month, it was because there were enough readers to support five titles. (I was one of them!)

But the coming of the speculator mentality, and the direct sales market, has changed this. Now books sell in no small part because people (read: idiots) are buying them "as an investment". Which means the Companies will respond to the sales numbers differently now than they did when it was necessary to entertain in order to keep those sales figures up. If slapping Wolverine on a cover is enough to boost the sales, look for Wolverine to appear on every cover where there's room for him to fit. Look for him to turn up in storylines whether it's logical or not.

American comics have always been a business first, and it has always been about the bottom line before all else --- but the way of reaching that desirable bottom line has changed. And that's when overexposure becomes a real danger.

Back to Top profile | search

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2007 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 2  

I buy comics to read.  Period.  And now I sell whatever I do not give to my girls, simply because I got tired of keeping everything I have ever owned.

If one wants to invest one's money, I recommend every other form of investment over buying new comics.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2007 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 3  

I know, JB, that you're quite assiduous about choosing your words, so when you say this problem of askew marketing has been characteristic of the industry for the "past few decades," well, that's very disturbing. How does the industry get back to what it was after more than twenty years of deliberately following one course?

Also, it's sad to think that children haven't been at all able to buy comics in the grand old way for a quarter of a century. If the average kid reads comics in a strong block of five years, then that's five generations of readers who missed out. Just terrible!

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2007 at 9:36pm | IP Logged | 4  

***POSSIBLE WOLVERINE SPOILERS FOLLOW***

CSN #1060 has an article with Marc Guggenheim explaining his take on Wolverine's apparently invincible healing factor.  His take is that when Wolverine (in a 5-parter that begins in WOLVERINE #57) dies, his soul goes to a place where he has to fight a character named Lazear.  If he wins, goes back to his fully-healed body.  The idea behind this is that Wolverine's healing factor has become so powerful that there's no drama in his stories.  Guggenheim wants there to be consequences; such that when he gets torn in half or burned or whatever else is done to Wolverine these days, his soul pays for it because it has to fight its way out of the netherworld (or something). 

I can't say I care much for this idea.  However, at least it addresses the absurd extent to which Logan's healing factor has been taken.  Guggenheim said he lacks the "clout to depower him, or remove the healing factor..." so I can't say I blame him for taking this route.  Also, Howard Chaykin is the artist on this arc, so it may be worth looking at for that reason alone.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2007 at 9:40pm | IP Logged | 5  

Jeezus.

Here's an idea: why not have the healing factor be similar to Wildcat's "Nine Lives" life regeneration power? Every time Wolverine heals, he finds he cannot recover as well the next time, and is slightly weaker for the experience, and loses (temporarily) his bestial accents, that make him a mutant to begin with?

Wayde Murray
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2007 at 10:11pm | IP Logged | 6  

I remember back when the X-Men entered the Savage Land after thir battle with Magneto, where JB depicted Wolverine with stitches in a gash on his shoulder. The healing factor was enough to keep him alive in those days, but not enough to keep him from paying a price for his mistakes. Now he's effectively Superman, except his invulnerability has a ten second (or whatever) delay built in.

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2007 at 11:07pm | IP Logged | 7  

I know this will never happen because he's too much of a cash cow,  but I figure Wolverine is so overexposed right now that if Marvel really wanted to generate a buzz around the character, they could have him disappear from all their books for a year or so, and impose a moratorium on him appearing in uniform even in flashbacks. The Wolverine title would feature pre-Weapon X stories, and the X books could could ride on the coat tails of the inevitable Hunt for Logan storyline. I'm sure fanboys would have coronaries without their monthly "Snickt" fix. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2007 at 12:29am | IP Logged | 8  

I can't say I care much for this idea. However, at least it addresses the
absurd extent to which Logan's healing factor has been taken.
Guggenheim said he lacks the "clout to depower him, or remove the
healing factor..." so I can't say I blame him for taking this route.

---

The funny thing is that it wasn't until Guggenheim's Civil War story where
Wolverine recovered from being seared to the bone by Nitro that I
thought Wolverine's healing factor became absurd. So unless that whole
bit was editorially mandated (which I could see), to say that "I'm trying to
make the best with what I was given" doesn't work for me. It's a bit
disappointing, because I think he really gets Wolverine otherwise.

Sending a character who wavers between agnosticism and atheism to the
afterlife doesn't work for me. (And yes, I recall that when he comes back
to life he doesn't have any memory of being in the afterlife.) Neither does
adding a mystical/spiritual element to Wolverine.

James Peterson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2007 at 1:32am | IP Logged | 9  

He needs a wolverine totem to explain his powers.  And a sidekick named Little Claw.  And clones.  Clones always help.

Edited by James Peterson on 14 October 2007 at 1:34am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2007 at 1:50am | IP Logged | 10  

I think he needs a one-eyed trained wolverine sidekick named Scott.  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 October 2007 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 11  

I know, JB, that you're quite assiduous about choosing your words, so when you say this problem of askew marketing has been characteristic of the industry for the "past few decades," well, that's very disturbing. How does the industry get back to what it was after more than twenty years of deliberately following one course?

••

This is, I fear, a bell which cannot be unrung. The Companies have thoroughly (and in some cases deliberately!) demolished the support structure which once allowed comics of all kinds to flourish. "We can't afford to offend the retailers" has become a mantra, and it protects the DSM from any attempt to return things, even in part, to how they were. Even assuming that were possible.

So, as we look toward the future, I sure do hope those retailers will enjoy not being offended right out of business!

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2007 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 12  

Ed Brubaker has somehow managed to write over a dozen issues of Uncanny X-men without Wolverine. I don't know HOW he got away with that one! (personally I like reading at least one X-men book without him).

(Sidenote: how can they have a dozen X-teams and no Angel?)

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version