Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 1492 Next >>
Topic: New artwork Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2008 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

You know, Dave I'm pretty sure it was you me and my buddy were talking to with Darryl about the pros and cons of going to Heroes Con.

Back to Top profile | search

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 20 October 2008 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Dave, you know I love me some Motor City Con. But it is not the comic book con it was ten years ago. (Heck five years ago). They used to get a big line-up of comic guests, now there are one or two "big" names per con. (If we're lucky.)On the media side they have the majority of space and money devoted in bringing celebrities in. Is an Avery Brooks worth it? Sure he can bring a crowd. However, many of the other "stars" they bring in, who take away from them bringing in more comic guests, couldn't draw flies with shit in their hands. I'll take any comic creator over a Lorenzo Lamas. I think this has pushed away a good deal of the con going comic fans. This con was at one time advertised the third biggest comic show in the U.S. Now it's lucky to be in the top ten.

BTW John, I love the Rousseau Vulture.

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2008 at 12:22am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Hey John! Darryl was SO happy that you guys showed up at the con! Nice meeting you!

Paul- to an extent, I agree. I always wonder how easy or hard it is to put together these shows (some that I know of were nightmares...) and I know that comic artists can be a fickle bunch. many of the "celebrities" are very easy to book , as many are repped by the same booking agents. Comic guests aren't that organized, and many are hard to get a hold of, or just plan flakey. Others go to too many cons, and saturate the market or regions (You know all of this- I'm just thinking out loud).
You can't judge the last Motor City show, too harshly, as there was a change in staff...
However, when you look at other cons (like baltimore) you see some really impressive guest lists. you then wonder if other shows have bad dates, bad locations, can't afford certain guests, or are just plain lazy about tracking down comic guests.
For Detroit, write a lists of guest that you'd like to see and I'll email it to Jeff Serling, the new coordinator. He's a very nice guy and really wants to make the show special.

But, man, Tiki was bizarre. I spent 3 days sitting next to Ron Frenz in Detorit, drooling over the seemingly hundreds of con sketches he pumped out over the weekend. To see him bored killed us, and we wanted to just yell out obscure characters for him to draw... Of course, we told him this and he had his usual reaction to flattery, which is to basically insinuate that we're all crazy.
But that was the show. hanging out, talking alot, and wondering what other things we could be doing. not so much for me, as I was loving the change to be out, getting art for my friends, and chatting with the other guests. The con was super nice,and paid for most of us to be there, so it wasn't like we were losing money (others definately were), but the day does go a bit slowly when you don't have much to do. I had a group of 3 fans show up on Saturday that had actually come to meet me (and brought stuff for me to sign), and I wanted to hug them for taking up some of the morning...
Hopefully, I'll have time to post some of the scans of art soon...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2008 at 3:21am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"I spent 3 days sitting next to Ron Frenz in Detorit, drooling over the seemingly hundreds of con sketches he pumped out over the weekend. To see him bored killed us...."

I'm confused.  If he was pumping out hundreds of con sketches, why was he bored? 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2008 at 3:58am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Joe, judging from Dave's remark that he and some friends "wanted to just yell out obscure characters for him to draw", I'm guessing perhaps the sketch requests might've been a bit one-sided. Only guessing though.

And yes, I am a bit envious of you guys who get to visit these cons. Would be nice to at least catch a UK one at some point in the future.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 21 October 2008 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Joe, Dave was refering to how much busier Motor City (Detriot) is compared to the Screaming Tiki (last weekend in Youngstown).

Dave, I understand what you are saying about it being harder to book comic talent, but I think Motor City has gotten to the point where its reputation is that of a nostalgia con and it may scare away some potential comic guests who may just wait to do Pittsburgh or Chicago, which cater more to the comic crowd. But I will email you with a few ideas for comic guests to pass on.

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2008 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

wait to do Pittsburgh? Ugh. That show was dying a slow death even before the murder trial. We still go cuz it's April and we all need to get the hell out of the house. It's a true hot & cold show. It will be interesting to see if next year brings in something unique and keeps it alive, or if it 's on it's way out. Geez, same with Chicago...
Looks like it might have to be Charlotte and Baltimore in 09!

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2008 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Nice thing about the East Coast, all those cities are so close to each other.  Here isn Washington state, we got Vancouver to the north and Portland to the south, but after that it's a long trek to another city.  You're looking at 12 hours or so to San Francisco or Oakland by car.  

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2008 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

One year I drove straight from Comicon in San Diego to Seattle, stopping only for gas and to stretch my legs a couple of times.

23 hours.

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2008 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Brad-
That is one of the nice things about Ohio. Detroit , Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Chicago, Baltimore... Lot's of locations in the 3-8 hour drive range. I've saturated the 3 hour drive conventions. It's been hard to get off my but and do the 6-8 hour drive ones (although the 5-6 hour Chicago trip is no big deal except when construction hits- which it alwasy seems to do...).
Heck, even Toronto and North Carolina aren't too bad of a day's drive.

Edited by Dave Aikins on 21 October 2008 at 1:47pm

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2008 at 10:43pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

One year I drove straight from Comicon in San Diego to Seattle, stopping only for gas and to stretch my legs a couple of times.

23 hours.

Went to one in Denver from Seattle and it took about 24 hours.  I'm seeing if I can get the time off next summer to go to San Diego, like to see it once.  Probably would have been more fun 25 years ago, but I'll just have to push my way through.

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2008 at 12:05am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Here's some of the haul from Tiki con.
For Dave P:
My buddy Darryl Banks...

<< Prev Page of 1492 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version