Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Exclusive art JB has drawn for Italian publishers... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2007 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 1  

Do European's find, in this particular case Fantastic Four but I'm sure there are plent of other examples, that the translation lessens the character names or meanings? 

Yes. But the names are the same, Reed Richards, Sue Storm, and so are probably Fantastic Four now if there was such a book available. The problem for me is that many super-hero names are very long and clumsy if translated into Swedish, mainly because we don't have any "the", but add it to the last section of the word. We can't skip it either the way you do. Let's say Stamannen, (the Superman) that's posible to say, but then Wonder Woman becomes Mirakelkvinnan and that's a long word in all and hard to say during a fight. 1950-1990 or so they were altered this way anyway. legion of Super-heroes was almost impossible to read where they all referred to their alter egos. I like the Italian editors, who keep the logo intact. We have never had any real logos when translated, for any comic book I believe.

The whole point of FF is the alliteration.  Doctor Doom, etc.  Does alliteration even work in other languages?

I can't answer that.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2007 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 2  

About the first posted cover:

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9675

FANTASTICI QUATTRO #100... In Italy, in the first half og the 1990s, American comic books were pretty popular. Sales were good, author were celebrated. And publishers knew how to make special an anniversary.
L'UOMO RAGNO (Spider-Man) #100, in 1992, had an exclusive cover drawn by John Romita, Sr. And FQ 100, like you can see, had a brand new JB cover.
Both these books had more pages (96 instead of the usual 72) with the same price. For the readers, those were real gifts from the publisher!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 30 September 2007 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 3  

Here is my million dollar request for JB. I know you are making plans for a Next Men phonebook. Could you please include these great overseas Next Men covers as a bonus for the collection?  

Back to Top profile | search

Martinho Correia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2007 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 4  

A little bit of synchronicity. I picked up this little gem last week at a small
book fair outside of Florence. It reprints 3 early Byrne Stories: Hulk Annual 7,
Captain America 250 and F.F 285. While it contains no new art there are 3
pages of introduction on JB's career and work.

Edited by Martinho Correia on 30 September 2007 at 3:05pm

Daniel Kendrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2007 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 5  

I'm still curious about that Spanish JB book I've seen on Ebay several times. Seems to be a combination of Art of John Byrne, Focus On.. and several other articles here and there with sketches aplenty.

Edited by Daniel Kendrick on 30 September 2007 at 3:17pm

Martinho Correia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2007 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 6  

JB, I recall reading somewhere that you were in Europe for a convention.
When and where was that?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 September 2007 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 7  

I was in Luca, Italy, for their big convention. I think that was 1992?
Back to Top profile | search

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2007 at 1:43am | IP Logged | 8  

JB, you came here in late 1993. It was our most important comics fair, Lucca Comics. I wish I was there! But, choke, I wasn't following American comics in that period...

Martinho, that hc is part of the "Great Marvel authors" miniseries. 4 hardcovers for 4 important authors: Jack Kirby, JB, BWS and Art Adams. The JB one was my favorite ("Cap for president" and "Hero" included... 'nuff said!). I posted somewhere in the JBF the introduction (translated in English), but now I haven't time to search for it (I'm on abig hurry!). If you need it, I'd be glad to give you a translation of the other pages (which I could post here, too).

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version