Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 15
Topic: Spider-man costume -red and black? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 September 2007 at 4:49am | IP Logged | 1  

Angel's costume as blue always made sense me, and still does more than black.  He flies in the sky.

•••

I don't recall any issues suggesting Angel's costume is intended as camoflage.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 September 2007 at 5:08am | IP Logged | 2  

I always attributed the many versions of Angels outfits and coloring to him simply being unable to make up his mind what to wear? Silver spoon syndrome? I thought it matched his personality quite well.

•••

Small snag there. In AVENGERS 110, penciled by Don Heck and inked by Frank Giacoia and Mike Esposito, Magneto turns up wearing the costume he gave to Angel. (Turns out it was all a plot, of course!) There, altho the costume has the right lines, it is left open for color, so is blue. Even the boots are blue, and drawn as tradition, skin-tight "sock boots", rather than the leather jackboots Neal gave it.

But, to underscore, this is supposed to be the same costume Angel picked up in the Savage Land. Unless we assume an unstated change made in the costume by Magneto, the story requires him to be wearing exactly the same costume he gave to Warren.

In this issue, Cyclops is also drawn with "sock boots" with his costume open for color -- while on the cover he and the other X-Men are shown in their original school uniforms, while Magneto is in his usual red.

All said pretty good examples, I would say, of why we should look upon those variant renderings of Angel's costume as blue, rather than black, as something not at all uncommon in comics: mistakes.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 September 2007 at 5:09am | IP Logged | 3  

Blue spider emblem on a black costume.

•••

If that color scheme had been retained, we might not
even be having this discussion!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 September 2007 at 5:12am | IP Logged | 4  

When Phoenix became Dark Phoenix, did her
costume change from green to red, or black to
black?

•••

Black? What black?

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2007 at 5:35am | IP Logged | 5  

If I understand this discussion correctly, both Storm's black (white highlighted) costume and Cyclops' black (blue highlighted) are purely comic book colors, i.e., conventions of the medium that are very difficult and sometimes impossible to translate to another medium. Their costumes are colored the way they are, that is, with different highlights of the same basic color, because in comic books they look really good, to speak plainly. As a matter of comprehending what the coloring convention conveys it's not trivial to grasp that Superman's hair is black or that part of Spider-Man's costume is black, despite or rather because of the blue highlights. Nonetheless, I'm not so sure it's more important than simply for taking comic books as they are.

Brian Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2007 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 6  

Angel's costume as blue always made sense me, and still does more than black.  He flies in the sky.

•••

I don't recall any issues suggesting Angel's costume is intended as camoflage.

And as a ten year old, I never thought that it was supposed to be camoflage.  As a ten year old, it just made sense that the color would be blue, it made a lot more sense than the red one, thats for sure.  Twenty-three years later, this is the first time someone seriously brought up that it should be something other than the blue that ten year old saw.

Edited by Brian Mayer on 25 September 2007 at 6:26am

Josh Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2007 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 7  

So basically it's all arbitrary? That's what it sounds like to me...cause like when something breaks the rules, it's all like "well that's a color/fabric not found in real life"?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 September 2007 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 8  

So basically it's all arbitrary?

•••

Arbitrary?? In superhero comics???

Donald Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2007 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 9  

I don't understand why people are being willfully obtuse on this topic.  This is real simple, standard industry shorthand used to be Blue for highlights on black.  As pencilers began using more open spaces, and inkers left them open, they got colored blue...hence the transformation.

Personally, I prefer Spider-Man to be black and red.  Cyclops would be more in keeping with his character to be black, as that was his original uniform color, and I don't think he would change it much.

enjoy,
D-
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 15
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version