Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Topic: Spider-man costume -red and black? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2007 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 1  

John Byrne wrote:
Run a quick list and it is difficult to find too many who
would really be in Spandex

About the only one I can think of would be Spider-Man as originally depicted
(well, had Spandex been available in '62), since his was obviously made at
home with fabrics he purchased and silkscreened.

And oh, hey, seems to me I remember someone actually having Peter's
original costume be Spandex in a retelling of his origin story. Let's see,
where was that...
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Reeves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2007 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 2  

Those 3D models are great, JB- it would be a neat side job to create designs for video games or some such.  I completely agree on how Angel and Beast's outfits would reflect light, as two different materials of black color (though I believe Angel, like Cyclops, has been more commonly accepted as wearing blue rather than black- even if the original intention was to wear black).  With more reference of how you have Beast colored in that one scene, I think the argument could be made that he's wearing dark grey (the way the modern Black Panther is depicted), but it definitely could be black and the environmental light is subtle.

I really don't think Angel's boots were considered blue, but perhaps they were colored with the same idea behind coloring black hair: not true to life, but more interesting with some color within.  Anyhow, like someone mentioned, it isn't of vast importance, but rather what it means to each of us (someone telling me Cyclops' outfit is black is like me seeing a modern interview with George Lucas saying that the Special Editions are how he always intended the trilogy to be- he may be the creator of it, but even he can't dispel 30 years of what I saw :-). It would be interesting to hear the opinions of long-time and modern colorists or painters of comics about the colors of key characters.  If someone like Alex Ross paints Cyclops as blue (not needing to fill in highlight areas as with inked artwork) can we assume he thinks it's blue?  What about action figures or statues in which there is no black at all?

Edited by Greg Reeves on 23 September 2007 at 10:02am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 September 2007 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 3  

I agree with JB tho, a lot of those swipe comparisons are a huge stretch.  And the breakdown of what Bob claims his inspirations for Batman were - who cares?

••

True. But isn't it odd, as fandom has become so very hyper about "creator's rights" and "original intent" in the last few decades, that so many fans still seem to want to cling to these coloring misconceptions. "So what if Neal Adams obviously intended the Angel's costume to be black! I found this drawing from Don Heck breakdowns inked by Vince Colleta that clearly shows it's blue!"

+++

If someone like Alex Ross paints Cyclops as blue (not needing to fill in highlight areas as with inked artwork) can we assume he thinks it's blue?

•••

Ross seems to think the Flash's costume is Spandex. Does that make if Spandex? (I wonder where he buys Spandex that can be compressed into a ring compartment smaller than a dime?)

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2007 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 4  

I may be crazy, but that yellow and brown Iron Fist costume looks so much more appealing to me. I can't explain it.

Greg Reeves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2007 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 5  

Well, I don't mean that Ross is the authority on everything, just citing an example of someone who may believe Angel and Cyclops have blue outfits since he isn't limited by the coloring options that classic comics were.  (By the way, I hope I don't give the impression of being absolutely correct and won't hear dissenting opinions or fact; it's just that I was truly surprised to read about Cyclops and Angel, and that was the first time I had ever read that).

The last couple of days I've been looking through OHOTMU and other comics, and there seem to be more layers to this than I realized.  I believe that there are instances where most images of a character are highlighted with blue, yet the outfit is not meant to be blue, such as Spider-Man's black outfit.  Occasionally the New Mutants' uniforms are highlighted with blue, but are not blue (as far as I believe it).  Then there are characters like modern Black Panther and Miller-era Black Widow that have the vast majority of their surface area in grey.  I'm wearing a soft cotton black shirt right now, and where the room light is landing, it certainly appears greyish.  So Black Widow could be black if enough light is striking her at most times we see her, but then that leaves the problem of the widow symbol on her chest (see below). 

Cannonball as I believe his costume to be:

Cannonball as he sometimes is highlighted (is his uniform really blue, or is he the only one on the cover illuminated by blue light?  More likely he is highlighted not true-to-life)

Black Widow- grey outfit (if she is considered black, then what color is the spider symbol on her chest?)

Then we have Spidey- I would think everyone considers this a black outfit, not blue, yet he has the blue highlights.  Since so much of him is always covered in shadow (as opposed to Cyclops or Angel who are often more brightly "lit") I think it's easier to call this suit black.  But again it's probably similar to the coloring of black hair with blue highlights tradition (though I seem to recall modern Spidey comics' "back in black" storyline having him depicted without blue?  I can't remember EDIT: I found a modern Spidey pic, placed below this one, and it seems to support that it is black, not blue.

Lastly, an Angel bust.  Is this incorrect to you, JB?  I just see it as a blue uniform that creates its own shadows in black based on the lighting around it (there are some black areas on this bust created by lack of lighting rather than being painted that way)

Edited by Greg Reeves on 23 September 2007 at 4:12pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 September 2007 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 6  

Lastly, an Angel bust.  Is this incorrect to you, JB?

••

Yes. But, then, oddly. Bowen Desgns (so absolutely
spot on with so many things) also gave us Blue Bolt.

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2007 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 7  

<<Or does anyone really believe Neal intended the Angel to be wearing blue leather boots?>>

Maybe Warren is an Elvis fan, and it's blue suede...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2007 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 8  

i never really gave the actual colours much thought, they are the colour they were on the printed page that was good enough for me.

now im wondering,Captain America, blue or black?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2007 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 9  

Blue.  Traditional colours of the American flag.

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2007 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 10  

Black leather with "kewl" Spider-Man fabric patterns for the impending motion picture, tho.  No mask or cowl for extended face-time.  No shield.  And a gun, because he's a soldier.

Michael Huber
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2007 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 11  

I always attributed the many versions of Angels outfits and coloring to him simply being unable to make up his mind what to wear? Silver spoon syndrome? I thought it matched his personality quite well.

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2007 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 12  

Is Captain America's uniform supposed to be red, white, and navy, like the flag, or blue like the sky?

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version