Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: Jim Shooter’s views on homosexuality in comics (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2007 at 6:15pm | IP Logged | 1  

Here are the two pages from X-Treme X-Men 1 by Claremont & Larocca of which i was talking:

Back to Top profile | search

Stan Lomisceau
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2007 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 2  

it is not homersexuality to ,ove a man sometimes is what i think about it

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2007 at 10:16pm | IP Logged | 3  

All I can think when I see those pages is that if I wanted to read a book, I'd have bought one!  Total turn off, makes me want to just skip it over!  I guess l like my comics with lots of pictures and fewer words.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2007 at 10:17pm | IP Logged | 4  

Well, it is newer model Claremont.

Josh Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2007 at 10:31pm | IP Logged | 5  

I knew a dude got butt-raped once in prison - he said it was something he'll never forget, and not in a good way. He's not in prison anymore, and he's glad. Let's leave it at that.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Roque Martinez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2007 at 11:48pm | IP Logged | 6  

QUOTE:
All I can think when I see those pages is that if I wanted to read a book, I'd have bought one!  Total turn off, makes me want to just skip it over!  I guess l like my comics with lots of pictures and fewer words.

It's not quite the amount of words, but how amazingly dull how the sentences they form are.

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2007 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 7  

"All I can think when I see those pages is that if I wanted to read a book, I'd have bought one! "

Pretty much how I felt about the last five or six years of Cerebus. Someone should have told Dave Sim that his genius as a cartoonist and comic book writer didn't extend to prose. Or dissertations about religion and sexual politics. Ouch.

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2007 at 5:35am | IP Logged | 8  

I like my comics to be as well writen as books. And i like it when it takes to me some time to fully read them. Words could be about nothing of course, and ink lost. But that's not the case with Claremont. With him words=story, and thats exactly what i'm looking for. When i see pages like the two i posted above i think that this is the kind of comicbook i want to read.

Of course i read lot of books too, and i've always been a big reader since childhood. I like my comics to look more like novels than like tv shows. I prefer it when they use narative captions, thought clouds and don't just rely on flashy pictures and pseudo-witty dialogue.

I'm there for the story, not just for the art.

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 15 September 2007 at 5:40am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 September 2007 at 6:08am | IP Logged | 9  

Quite a long while back, now, I realized there was a subset of comic fans who equated number of lines on the page with how good the art was. More lines, better art. Didn't really matter if there was anatomy, or perspective, or any of the basic building blocks of good art, as long as there were lots and lots of lines. Eventually, I dubbed this "tonnage" -- it seemed almost as if it was the literal weight of ink on the page that mattered above all else.

Not long after, I began to realize this sometimes accounted for the popularity of writers whose work I found substandard and sometimes impenetrable. The same mentality that said lots of line = good art, said lots of words = good writing.

Of late, with more and more writers returning to the full script method, we are seeing more and more words on the page. People who simply do not think in pictures doing all their storytelling in the text, instead of letting the artists do their jobs.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 September 2007 at 6:11am | IP Logged | 10  

So Destiny and Mystique are extraordinarily long lived now? Is this Chris trying to tell us that Irene Adler is the Irene Adler? Is he following Alan Moore down the road of appropriating public domain characters?

Whatever. It's more messing with Stan's core concept of what makes a mutant. Not that there was much of that to be seen in the last thirty years or so.

Troy Nunis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2007 at 6:16am | IP Logged | 11  

I think one key shift in the comics is, say 10 years ago, Claremont would have written this scene with the X-men fighting robots in the Danger room or something else ACTIVE while saying just about the same thing - or at the very least, had the flash backs be to very ACTIVE scenes instead of portraits, and now, it's sitting around talking heads -- it is JUST Exposition now. ::yawn::

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 September 2007 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 12  

This is another aspect of "writing for the trade". If we have two things to put in an issue -- a discussion of events and a battle scene (real or simulated), combining them, in the traditional Lee/Kirby fashion, means fewer pages are being filled. When the object to to have each "story" cover at least six issues, in order to "make a good trade paperback", writers will tend to put into seperate boxes things that used to be combined.

By the way -- on the pages posted above, which of the characters are the heavy smokers? So heavy, in fact, that they have filled up the panels they're in and actually sent smoke spilling over into adjoining panels.

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version